Demos and recording sessions

_shaggy_

Marc, do you happen to know if the Appetite line-up recorded a demo of 'You Could Be Mine' during the Appetite sessions? If so, did you get to hear it? Did it differ much from the version on UYI 2?

Also, can you shed some light on the drum machine demos ('Too Much Too Soon', 'Just Another Sunday', 'Crash Diet' etc)? Roughly when did they record them and what purpose did they serve? Like, were they intended to be on the follow-up to Appetite (or on AFD)?

One last thing, did you ever hear a song called 'The Plague'?

Marc, do you happen to know if the Appetite line-up recorded a demo of 'You Could Be Mine' during the Appetite sessions? If so, did you get to hear it? Did it differ much from the version on UYI 2?

Also, can you shed some light on the drum machine demos ('Too Much Too Soon', 'Just Another Sunday', 'Crash Diet' etc)? Roughly when did they record them and what purpose did they serve? Like, were they intended to be on the follow-up to Appetite (or on AFD)?

The Plague was a quick little something that they put together probably on the spot when they did the Sound City demos in May of 1986. I never heard them play it again.

I don't know about YCBM. I didn't even hear it till UYI and the other demos I never heard except Too Much Too Soon which I think may have been done with LA Guns when Axl was in that band? I can't remember if that is true

Edited by recklessroad

The Plague was a quick little something that they put together probably on the spot when they did the Sound City demos in May of 1986. I never heard them play it again.

I don't know about YCBM. I didn't even hear it till UYI and the other demos I never heard except Too Much Too Soon which I think may have been done with LA Guns when Axl was in that band? I can't remember if that is true

Hmm, that's interesting..... cheers Marc!

Edited by _shaggy_

Marc, do you know what else is on these sound city demo's

003jeh.jpg

http://www.krisderrig.com/Kris-Derrig.php

August - Sept 1986

LIVE LIKE A SUICIDE EP RECORDING

A NOTE FROM MARC CANTER

The Sound City demos are not what is on the

Live Like a Suicide EP

Spencer Proffer was paid $15,000 for a 2 song demo to see if the band wanted to use him for the record and in the deal they got to record the songs for the Live Like a Suicide EP, Spencer recorded Sweet Child and Nightrain and they ended up recording 9 tracks total from late Aug to the end of September 1986 for the Ep. The only song that made it out after the other 4 songs were released was "Shadow of your Love" that eventually made it onto a Japan EP single B side in 1988

005lme.jpg

http://music.geocities.jp/rose_crew2006/txt/themannydemos.txt

- Welcome to the Jungle

- Nightrain

- Out Ta Get Me

- Paradise City

- My Michelle

- Think About You

- You're Fuckin' Crazy

- Rocket Queen (tk1 & tk2)

The Manny Demos also included nine other titles/out-takes:

- Test-Tones (for mastering purposes)

- Reckless Life

- Move To The City (tk1 & tk2)

- Shadow Of Your Love (tk1 & tk2)

- Nice Boys (tk1, tk2 & tk3)

- Heartbreak Hotel

- Don't Cry Tonight

- November Rain

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/misc/recordingsessions.html

Studio: Sound City Studios

Songs recorded:

Out Ta Get Me (take 1) [unreleased]

Rocket Queen (take 1) [unreleased]

Rocket Queen (take 2) [unreleased]

Nightrain [unreleased]

My Michelle [unreleased]

You're Fuckin' Crazy [unreleased]

Paradise City [unreleased]

Move To The City (take 1) [unreleased]

Move To The City (take 2) [unreleased]

November Rain (acoustic) [unreleased]

November Rain (piano) [unreleased]

Shadow Of Your Love [unreleased]

Reckless Life [unreleased]

Think About You [unreleased]

Welcome To The Jungle [unreleased]

Don't Cry [unreleased]

Nice Boys (take 3) [unreleased]

Back Off Bitch [unreleased]

Anything Goes [unreleased]

Mama Kin [unreleased]

Heartbreak Hotel (take 2) [unreleased]

Ain't Goin' Down (no lyrics) [unreleased]

Jumpin' Jack Flash (take 2) [unreleased]

Jumpin' Jack Flash (acoustic) [unreleased]

Move To The City (acoustic) [unreleased]

Untitled Song In Progress [unreleased]

You're Crazy (acoustic) [unreleased]

The Plague [unreleased]

Cornshucker Stomp [unreleased]

Manny Charlton produced session.

Down On The Street (The Stooges cover, recorded for "The Spaghetti Incident?") [unreleased]

Everything you see listed is what was recorded

• 4 months later...

Hi Marc, I found a picture of this cassette given to the head of Geffen by Tom Zutat of the Sound City demos. If you click the link, it will tell what songs are on each side. If this is legitimate, are these the correct track orders where Rocket Queen take 1 and 2 are separated by a whole lot of songs? http://recordmecca.com/store/other/guns-n-roses-original-1986-demo-tape-from-earliest-sessions/

I was concerned about that, just incase it wasn't the right information. I think Sound City was May-June 1986 and Pasha was August-September 1986. Maybe you can help me with a couple things. Do you happen to know the track order of the Sound City demos? I have a few different sources saying different things. The photograph of the demo reel has only 7 tracks visible and then there's a list and also the link I posted that says which songs are on Side 1 and Side 2. It would be great to get an accurate track listing. The other question is, are any of the Pasha demos circulating whether they're the ones GN'R did themselves after Proffer left or the ones with Mike Clink? Any information on this you can give me I'd really appreciate.

Thanks.

Hi Marc, I found a picture of this cassette given to the head of Geffen by Tom Zutat of the Sound City demos. If you click the link, it will tell what songs are on each side. If this is legitimate, are these the correct track orders where Rocket Queen take 1 and 2 are separated by a whole lot of songs? http://recordmecca.c...liest-sessions/

This is just some songs from Sound City

I was concerned about that, just incase it wasn't the right information. I think Sound City was May-June 1986 and Pasha was August-September 1986. Maybe you can help me with a couple things. Do you happen to know the track order of the Sound City demos? I have a few different sources saying different things. The photograph of the demo reel has only 7 tracks visible and then there's a list and also the link I posted that says which songs are on Side 1 and Side 2. It would be great to get an accurate track listing. The other question is, are any of the Pasha demos circulating whether they're the ones GN'R did themselves after Proffer left or the ones with Mike Clink? Any information on this you can give me I'd really appreciate.

Thanks.

Reckless Road page 278 has all the songs in the order that they recorded them on the real tapes. By the way there were 2 tapes

Songs recorded:

Out Ta Get Me (take 1) [unreleased]

Rocket Queen (take 1) [unreleased]

Rocket Queen (take 2) [unreleased]

Nightrain [unreleased]

My Michelle [unreleased]

You're Fuckin' Crazy [unreleased]

Paradise City [unreleased]

Move To The City (take 1) [unreleased]

Move To The City (take 2) [unreleased]

November Rain (acoustic) [unreleased]

November Rain (piano) [unreleased]

Shadow Of Your Love [unreleased]

Reckless Life [unreleased]

Think About You [unreleased]

Welcome To The Jungle [unreleased]

Don't Cry [unreleased]

Nice Boys (take 3) [unreleased]

Back Off Bitch [unreleased]

Anything Goes [unreleased]

Mama Kin [unreleased]

Heartbreak Hotel (take 2) [unreleased]

Ain't Goin' Down (no lyrics) [unreleased]

Jumpin' Jack Flash (take 2) [unreleased]

Jumpin' Jack Flash (acoustic) [unreleased]

Move To The City (acoustic) [unreleased]

Untitled Song In Progress [unreleased]

You're Crazy (acoustic) [unreleased]

The Plague [unreleased]

Cornshucker Stomp [unreleased]

Marc, 3 questions to that list you gave:

- "Shadow of your love" / Sound City Demos-version ("Wake up...time to play!"): hasnt that been officially released as B-Side from the "Live and Let Die"-Single?

- about the different takes like: "Nice Boys" (take 3) - are the first 2 takes still on the original demo tapes aswell or have they've been deleted right after recording?

- how did that work exactly back then, they did record all songs -sometimes with multiple takes- and then picked the best versions for the 2x demo tapes for the band members/you/Zutraut etc.?

Has The Plague ever been leaked somewhere? I'd really like to hear it.