The definitive films of the 90s?

I just don't whoever directed LA was very 90s. It's has to be QT, Stone, Cohen Brothers.

Pulp, The Doors, Big Lebowski is what remember from the 90s. Fight Club was at the end but the book was written mid 90s.

Lynch and Burton also big 90s directors.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd vote for Trainspotting or Natural Born Killers.

They're certainly both better films. 'Definitive' doesn't necessarily mean good, I mean it doesn't get much more 90s than Reality Bites or Singles... :lol: I think L.A. Confidential and Boogie Nights might be the best films of the decade.

I always thought L.A. Confidential was kind of a second rate Chinatown. You could say that Trainspotting was a bit of a Clockwork Orange knockoff though, but I still think it's brilliant.

Watch it again. L.A. Confidential is staggering, and near flawless. I love Trainspotting, but I think I prefer Shallow Grave.

Yeah, alright Dazey...just give me a minute!

I loved Shallow Grave. Too bad it has all been downhill for Ewan since those movies, although Big Fish and Ghost Writer were alright.

I just don't whoever directed LA was very 90s. It's has to be QT, Stone, Cohen Brothers.

Pulp, The Doors, Big Lebowski is what remember from the 90s. Fight Club was at the end but the book was written mid 90s.

Oliver had an amazing run in the 90's with The Doors, JFK, NBK and Nixon. I still think Nixon is his masterpiece. That movie is so underrated.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Oliver had a good run in the 90's with The Doors, JFK, NBK and Nixon. I still think Nixon is his masterpiece. That movie is so underrated.

I totally agree about Nixon, it's an extraordinary film. IIRC, there was talk around its release about Stone doing a J. Edgar Hoover movie with Bob Hoskins reprising his performance, but it bombed both critically and commercially so nothing came of it. Would have beat Eastwood's snorefest all to hell.

Oliver had an amazing run in the 90's with The Doors, JFK, NBK and Nixon. I still think Nixon is his masterpiece. That movie is so underrated.

That's maybe his best movie. JFK and The Doors seem so 90s though. Born on the 4th is often cited as his best.

Savages is like a U Turn type movie. It's prob his best since Any Given Sunday.

Oliver had a good run in the 90's with The Doors, JFK, NBK and Nixon. I still think Nixon is his masterpiece. That movie is so underrated.

I totally agree about Nixon, it's an extraordinary film. IIRC, there was talk around its release about Stone doing a J. Edgar Hoover movie with Bob Hoskins reprising his performance, but it bombed both critically and commercially so nothing came of it. Would have beat Eastwood's snorefest all to hell.

Eastwood should have never been allowed to make that movie. He was obviously the wrong guy for the job. It would have been the perfect vehicle for Stone and Hoskins. That's a shame that they didn't do it. Have you seen Hoffa? That was another one that Oliver should have done, however I do believe I liked that one.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Knock yourself out Dazey!

Adjuster, The

Age of Innocence, The

All About My Mother

Apostle, The

Bad Boy Bubby

Barton Fink

Battle Over Citizen Kane, The

Before Sunrise

Being John Malkovich

Big Lebowski, The

Bob Roberts

Boogie Nights

Boys Don’t Cry

Buffalo ‘66

Chungking Express, The

Crumb

Cube

Dazed and Confused

Dead Man

Dead Man Walking

Deep Cover

Delicatessen

Double Life of Veronique, The

Ed Wood

Edward Scissorhands

Election

Eve’s Bayou

Exotica

Farewell, My Concubine

Fargo

Fearless

Fight Club

Flirting with Disaster

Freeway

Fresh

Gattaca

Glengarry Glen Ross

Goodfellas

Gridlock’d

Haine, La

Hamlet (1996)

Happiness

Heat

Heavenly Creatures

Heavy

Hoop Dreams

Hudsucker Proxy, The

Husbands and Wives

Ice Storm, The

Insider, The

Jackie Brown

JFK

LA Confidential

Last Days of Disco, The

Last of the Mohicans, The

Limey, The

Live Flesh

Lost Highway

Magnolia

Malcolm X

Metropolitan

Miller’s Crossing

My Own Private Idaho

Natural Born Killers

Night on Earth

Nightmare Before Christmas, The

Nixon

One False Move

Out of Sight

People Vs Larry Flynt, The

Piano, The

Player, The

Quiz Show

Raise the Red Lantern

Reservoir Dogs

Richard III (1995)

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Rushmore

Safe

Schindler’s List

Schizopolis

Se7en

Shallow Grave

Short Cuts

Silence of the Lambs

Simple Men

Starship Troopers

Straight Out of Brooklyn

Strange Days

Sweet and Lowdown

Sweet Hereafter, The

Thin Red Line, The

Three Colors: Blue

Three Colors: Red

Three Kings

To Die For

Tombstone

Total Recall

Toy Story

Trainspotting

True Romance

Truman Show, The

Trust

Twelve Monkeys

Unforgiven

Vanya on 42nd Street

Waiting for Guffman

Edited by Angelica

Schizopolis, that's that Soderberg self portrait?

I enjoyed To Die For and Twelve Monkeys.

It would be remiss not to mention Silence of the Lambs. Dr. Hannibal Lecter is as iconic as they come.

Shawshank Refemption always tops top 100 movies. never really liked it, it's a struggle to watch it.

My Own Private Idaho and Drigstore Cowboy should get a mention. Even Cowgirls Get the Blues too.

It can be interpreted that way but it can be interpreted a lot of ways. It's really brilliant and underseen.

Shawshank Refemption always tops top 100 movies. never really liked it, it's a struggle to watch it.

My Own Private Idaho and Drigstore Cowboy should get a mention. Even Cowgirls Get the Blues too.

Shawshank is one of the few films as or more overrated than Pulp Fiction. Drugstore Cowboy is 1989 and Cowgirls is...really, REALLY terrible (albeit in an entertaining way). Idaho is a masterpiece. Insanely beautiful.

Edited by Angelica

You forgot Kalifornia and Love and a .45. :D

I don't remember much about Love and a .45 at all! Kalifornia is a terrible film, it's just that Brad Pitt and Juliette Lewis are so good in in that you sort of want to let it slide.

My Own Private Idaho and Drigstore Cowboy should get a mention.

Both great movies. I think Drugstore Cowboy is late 80's though. Did you ever see that Sneakers movie with River and Redford?

I think so. I always think of Sleepers but they aren't connected.

What was that movie Beautiful Girls, that was awful as I remember.

Both great movies. I think Drugstore Cowboy is late 80's though. Did you ever see that Sneakers movie with River and Redford?

:lol: I have a soft spot for Beautiful Girls cause the Afghan Whigs have a cameo and get love on the soundtrack. It's not great but it's far from terrible. Especially as far as slacker dude rom-coms go.

...oh, YEAH, Dulli singing Barry White ftw :wub: Edited by Angelica

It can be interpreted that way but it can be interpreted a lot of ways. It's really brilliant and underseen.

Shawshank is one of the few films as or more overrated than Pulp Fiction. Drugstore Cowboy is 1989 and Cowgirls is...really, REALLY terrible (albeit in an entertaining way). Idaho is a masterpiece. Insanely beautiful.

I think Cowgirls is watchable especially if you read the book. Whereas I wouldn't recommend Schizopolis to anyone. I barely remember either.

Was Traffic in the 90s.

:lol: I have a soft spot for Beautiful Girls cause the Afghan Whigs have a cameo and get love on the soundtrack. It's not great but it's far from terrible. Especially as far as slacker dude rom-coms go.

...oh, YEAH, Dulli singing Barry White ftw :wub:

I think Matt Dillion was in it. Wild Coyotes is another one.

Sleeping with the Enemy and Indecent Propsal and a crack pipe.

I think Cowgirls is watchable especially if you read the book. Whereas I wouldn't recommend Schizopolis to anyone. I barely remember either.

Was Traffic in the 90s.

Traffic was 2000. See I read all the Tom Robbins books when I was young enough to take them to heart and Cowgirls is a really clumsy adaptation. Though watchable, yes.

What about The Crow? It did have a great soundtrack, and I think Brandon Lee would have been a real 90's icon had he lived.

The Crow is a fantastic genre film, I think it would be better remembered and regarded nowadays if they hadn't made those appalling sequels.

What about The Crow? It did have a great soundtrack, and I think Brandon Lee would have been a real 90's icon had he lived.

It's kind of cooler he died. I'm surprised more people didn't die in that table bullet festival scene.

Hard Target and Broken Arrow. I love those movies.

Face/Off.

Hard Boiled and The Killer rock.

Con Air is obviously best movie of all time.

It's kind of cooler he died. I'm surprised more people didn't die in that table bullet festival scene.

Hard Target and Broken Arrow. I love those movies.

Face/Off.

Hard Boiled and The Killer rock.

Con Air is obviously best movie of all time.

We could do a whole 90s guilty pleasure list...Con Air, Judgment Night, Face/Off, Basic Instinct, Showgirls, Armageddon, The Crush...the possibilities are endless!