The definitive films of the 90s?

Anyone else feel that Pulp Fiction really captured at the very least the mid 90s...The whole sort of vibe of that era, that it really sort of defined that period in time and offered a lot pop culture wise? It's like a 90s film that seems to be pining for the 70s and 50s at the same time yet is also in tune with the whole "Grunge" era sort of frame of thinking. Can't really explain it but I think it's a film that really is like THE definitive film of the 90s. I'm sort of bordering on the sociological here and maybe Lenny or someone can help me out or better understand what I'm trying to say but it's like...The characters in the film, most of them, are more than just characters, they're like representations or something. And it was intentional. For example, Butch is supposed to be like the typical 50s sort of guy meets the 90s...Bruce Willis was cast cause Tarantino felt he was the only actor out there who had that "50s leading man" look...Travolta is of course one of the icons of the 70s and you always have Tony Manero and Vinnie Barbarino on his shoulders when you watch him, yet his character is an "Elvis man"--50s again. Uma Thurma's character harkens back to noir, to the femme fatales of the 40s, Jules is on the surface a 70s Blaxploitation sort of Hitman but at the same time is a character inspired both by Biblical figures and by characters like Cain in Kung Fu...
It just seems there's a whole lot more going on under the surface of that film, a reflection or definition of diverse parts of American society in that time period, than it being a great gangster film.

Edited by Vincent Vega

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great movie, absolutely love it. I'd agree with bran, iconic for sure - definitive? I suppose that depends on whether you define the 90s by that - I don't think it did for me, but that was when I grew up. I love it retrospectively as an adult, yet I still don't think it purely epitomised what was good about the 90s, or even the 90s on the whole.

i don't think it's the best film of the '90s and i don't even think it's tarantino's best film, but it's definitely one of the most iconic films of the '90s.

Yeah, that. But I could quite literally list a hundred better films of that decade.

i don't think it's the best film of the '90s and i don't even think it's tarantino's best film, but it's definitely one of the most iconic films of the '90s.

Yeah, that. But I could quite literally list a hundred better films of that decade.

i've honestly never really loved pulp fiction that much.

i remember seeing reservoir dogs and being blown away as a teenager. i finally saw pulp fiction probably later that same year, and after all the hype, it just didn't quite live up to it for me. i 'get' why people love it and i definitely enjoy the movie a lot, and i respect that when it came out it represented a huge leap forward in terms of independent filmmaking and the fact that you could sense tarantino's joy of cinema in every frame, but ultimately i prefer many films over it from the '90s, and even a couple of tarantino's other flicks.

Pulp Fiction is great, one of the reasons I love it is because it takes on a different context depending on how you view it. When I watch it alone it is a dark and exiting film, but with a group of friends it turns into a dark comedy

i remember seeing reservoir dogs and being blown away as a teenager. i finally saw pulp fiction probably later that same year, and after all the hype, it just didn't quite live up to it for me. i 'get' why people love it and i definitely enjoy the movie a lot, and i respect that when it came out it represented a huge leap forward in terms of independent filmmaking and the fact that you could sense tarantino's joy of cinema in every frame, but ultimately i prefer many films over it from the '90s, and even a couple of tarantino's other flicks.

I thought it was really good when I first saw it...ok, it is really good, but it's also diabolically overrated. I don't think it's anywhere near his best film.

Edited by Angelica

I thought it was really good when I first saw it...ok, it is really good, but it's also diabolically overrated. I don't think it's anywhere near his best film.

Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown are much better.

Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown are much better.

No doubt. Cases can be made for Basterds and 'whole bloody affair' version of the Kill Bills as well.

I'd vote for Trainspotting or Natural Born Killers.

They're certainly both better films. 'Definitive' doesn't necessarily mean good, I mean it doesn't get much more 90s than Reality Bites or Singles... :lol: I think L.A. Confidential and Boogie Nights might be the best films of the decade.

The Big Leboski and Fight Club. But Pulp had the most impact.

Also Pulp established Miramax which allowed other movies to get made. It was a game changer. Weinsteins eventually hooked up with Disney but it was an important film.

Slacker and Bodies Rest and Motion captured the 90s for me.

Go on then! :D I'm not disputing what you're saying, I'm just intrigued and I could do with a good recommendation or two. :)

I think L.A. Confidential and Boogie Nights might be the best films of the decade.

LA Confidential would absolutely get my vote, it's a fucking amazing movie! Good to see that little Mike from Neighbours finally grew up! :lol:

They're certainly both better films. 'Definitive' doesn't necessarily mean good, I mean it doesn't get much more 90s than Reality Bites or Singles... :lol: I think L.A. Confidential and Boogie Nights might be the best films of the decade.

I always thought L.A. Confidential was kind of a second rate Chinatown. You could say that Trainspotting was a bit of a Clockwork Orange knockoff though, but I still think it's brilliant.

I always thought L.A. Confidential was kind of a second rate Chinatown. You could say that Trainspotting was a bit of a Clockwork Orange knockoff though, but I still think it's brilliant.

Watch it again. L.A. Confidential is staggering, and near flawless. I love Trainspotting, but I think I prefer Shallow Grave.

Yeah, alright Dazey...just give me a minute!

Edited by Angelica