Do people only listen to NIN because Axl liked them?

arnold layne

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Yeah, I believe 90% of the people that say they like them on this forum only like them because Axl said he does.

It's a piece of shit band.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I believe 90% of the people that say they like them on this forum only like them because Axl said he does.

It's a piece of shit band.

What don't you like about his music? It's a sincere question. I always like to find out the reasoning behind why people like or dislike certain artists.

NIN is one of the reason I got into GnR to begin with so...

Sorry but NIN, despite being way less popular, influenced the 90s and 00s waaaaay more than GnR ever did.

Trent's influence can be found in at least 50% of the composers out there that are currently working for the medias that you all consume : videogames, commercials, etc...

Basically you've been subconsciously eating NIN for the last decade or so. There's a reason for that.

I think I have seen NIN live more times than GNR. Maybe the same actually. They were magnificent each time. The amount of respect I have for Reznor has continued to increase even when to my mind their has been a drop off in his musical output because of the amount of passion he has put into developing ridiculous live shows and different concepts etc

I got into NIN far before I knew of Axl's fandom (is it even well stated? or is it just because of Robin?), in fact even now I don't think of them and think 'oh Axl loves that band' because that would be mental. In my mind they are such far removed entities even with the Finck connection there is barely a crossover in my mind.

Edited by Chinaski

I think I have seen NIN live more times than GNR. Maybe the same actually. They were magnificent each time. The amount of respect I have for Reznor has continued to increase even when to my mind their has been a drop off in his musical output because of the amount of passion he has put into developing ridiculous live shows and different concepts etc

I got into NIN far before I knew of Axl's fandom (is it even well stated? or is it just because of Robin?), in fact even now I don't think of them and think 'oh Axl loves that band' because that would be mental. In my mind they are such far removed entities even with the Finck connection there is barely a crossover in my mind.

Axl is quoted as saying, "I like Nine Inch Nails and I like hip hop." Or something along those lines. So yes, it's in fact stated. The Robin thing just reinforces it.

I think it's just the fact that someone who's musical opinions someone may trust (Axl... because the person likes the music Axl creates) gives a certain immediate promise to a band. That's not a bad thing at all. If Axl had not recommended them than a lot of people who are typically classic rock fans would have brushed NIN off immediately after hearing them. Because someone like Axl likes them it persuades people to give them a fair chance instead of dismissing so quick like we all do with plenty of music.

The thing that this thread isn't touching on is I think the affection for the band is genuine... all Axl did was encourage some people to listen more than once. This happens all the time. You respect your older brother? Well, if you're a classic rock fan and he recommends the talking heads you'll probably give them a more fair chance than radiohead, even if the truth of the situation is you'd like both if you gave them the chance (for example). Like I said, though, the liking of them that develops is genuine it's not hero worship of Axl or whoever.

I think it's just the fact that someone who's musical opinions someone may trust (Axl... because the person likes the music Axl creates) gives a certain immediate promise to a band. That's not a bad thing at all. If Axl had not recommended them than a lot of people who are typically classic rock fans would have brushed NIN off immediately after hearing them. Because someone like Axl likes them it persuades people to give them a fair chance instead of dismissing so quick like we all do with plenty of music.

The thing that this thread isn't touching on is I think the affection for the band is genuine... all Axl did was encourage some people to listen more than once. This happens all the time. You respect your older brother? Well, if you're a classic rock fan and he recommends the talking heads you'll probably give them a more fair chance than radiohead, even if the truth of the situation is you'd like both if you gave them the chance (for example). Like I said, though, the liking of them that develops is genuine it's not hero worship of Axl or whoever.

Spot on post. :thumbsup:

Suspicious of people who 'LOVE' all of the following:

Dexter

NWA

Nirvana

NIN

:xmasssanta:

The only one I really like is Dexter. NIN is a decent band but nothing exceptional... NWA and Nirvana suck.

N.W.A. is awesome! Eazy was the godfather of rap, Dre is one of the best producers out there, and Cube can write some great rhymes.

As for Nirvana, I've always openly disliked them but at the moment I'm trying to see if I can get into them. They're not quite as bad as I originally thought. At least not yet.