Will Axl's Voice Recover?

Graeme

I saw a documentary on the Undertaker a few years back, and they asked him...

Q - "When do you think you should retire?"

A - "I always picture someone like a dad, who watched me growing up, taking his kid to the arena where I have a match that night. I know that when I get out there and perform, I give it my all every single time, but if that father has to look down at his son and say "There he is son, the Undertaker... sure is good eh? But, you should have seen him when...", then I know I have gone on too long, and it is time for me to retire."

If we bring someone new to a show, look at Axl, and then say "man... you should have seen him when...", the perhaps it's time.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

When you consider that the 80s happened, in terms of immense strain and lack of self-care, in the form of a vocal coach, sufficient rest etc., it’s a miracle that Axl is still performing. In the 90s he started to realize that this was all necessary to sustain his career. Axl is fine, I’m happy with what we’re getting.

I have some ideas about Axl and his voice.

One, is he is actively preserving it.

Two, he has lost the anger or the passion that he used to awaken himself and force those sounds out of body.

Three, he is taking or is physically addicted to cortisteroids for voice inflammation and that is softening his voice up. This would also explain some of the weight gain in his face.

Four, he is medicated for other health issues, mental or physical, which are affecting his voice.

So, it could be some of the above or it could be nothing.

However, it is clear to me, his voice is still capable of everything he's always done.

I thought it was voice preservation, but after some of the really bad performances, I tend to think there is something else going on.

But has he lost his voice or damaged it to the point where he is stuck where he is now? Absolutely not.

Clearly there is still hope, that was just about flawless. Definitely as strong as he sounded in 2010.

Not a bad performance at all, but still a far cry from 2010 vocals....unfortunately Axl didn't sing it then for a fair comparison.

I'd say pretty much on pair with good 2011 performances like this one:

• 3 weeks later...

you guys thrive on fucking Drama :lol:

Ain't that the truth my man.

Yuppers A. right on the money, that and all the fucking lunatics are the main reason I don't frequent this place anymore

That comment is hilarious in so many ways....

Easily amused Cheetah? (expecting long,nauseous,repetitive litany of Groganic proportions :lol:

I don't think Axl smokes anymore. My son says that why his voice isn't as raspy as it was back in the day.

Drinking, well we've seen Axl drinking and he does admit to liking vodka.

There are many ways for singers to take care of their voices, so I'm sure Axl does some of them, but as you age your voice is going to change. It's a fact of life.

Axl still can change his voice when he sings, but he can't sound like he did back in his 20's.

Seeing Axl in Vegas, he sounded awesome, so he must be doing something right for his voice.

When you consider that the 80s happened, in terms of immense strain and lack of self-care, in the form of a vocal coach, sufficient rest etc., it’s a miracle that Axl is still performing. In the 90s he started to realize that this was all necessary to sustain his career. Axl is fine, I’m happy with what we’re getting.

Yeah, I agree. I saw GNR last year in Dallas and thought Axl sounded great, but honestly, seeing him in Vegas, Axl sounded even better. I love how he can change his vocal styles and different vocal pitches.

Like I said, your voice changes as you grow older, but doing a show for 3 hours and still sounding great to the last song I'm happy with that.

I don't think Axl smokes anymore. My son says that why his voice isn't as raspy as it was back in the day.

There are many ways for singers to take care of their voices, so I'm sure Axl does some of them, but as you age your voice is going to change. It's a fact of life.

Axl still can change his voice when he sings, but he can't sound like he did back in his 20's.

Seeing Axl in Vegas, he sounded awesome, so he must be doing something right for his voice.

Yeah, I agree. I saw GNR last year in Dallas and thought Axl sounded great, but honestly, seeing him in Vegas, Axl sounded even better. I love how he can change his vocal styles and different vocal pitches.

Like I said, your voice changes as you grow older, but doing a show for 3 hours and still sounding great to the last song I'm happy with that.

There are many pictures of him with a cigar in his hand so I think he still smokes (and drinks).

There are many pictures of him with a cigar in his hand so I think he still smokes (and drinks).

:shock: How scandalous :0

Normally, you just puff on a cigar. It won't affect your lungs or your voice. He did stop smoking cigarettes so no smoke going down his lungs :awesomeface:

Normally, you just puff on a cigar. It won't affect your lungs or your voice. He did stop smoking cigarettes so no smoke going down his lungs :awesomeface:

Yup how stupid of me LOL. See, I don't smoke at all. I know that you inhale cigarette n only puff cigar (read abt it only years ago..yeah laugh at me) but the fact escaped me as I don't use tobacco products at all.. my bad! Apologize for that .....

Yup how stupid of me LOL. See, I don't smoke at all. I know that you inhale cigarette n only puff cigar (read abt it only years ago..yeah laugh at me) but the fact escaped me as I don't use tobacco products at all.. my bad! Apologize for that .....

Okay, so *cigar smoke* is the one you shouldn't inhale and hold?? :shock: