Many songs at the shows could use a 6-7% guitar pitch increase

Screamin' Demon

The old songs were recorded half step down. They could play them now a full step down since Axl is struggling to hit some of the notes. Don't know much about the new stuff, except that Chinese Democracy is in Drop D and Better is in Drop C#. And I'm not even sure about that.

this might be of interest

http://www.elijahwald.com/johnsonspeed.html

his guitar was tunned 1/4 of step sharp, or was it?

There's a couple of theories why - 1 - just like club music tends to speed up remixes, they did the same for the dance halls w/ jukeboxes, radio stations speed up songs (I'm sure some of you heard SCOM sped up), and limitations of recording technology at the time so the song could fit on the 78. This was all before tape recording technology, where people in the 40s and 50s started playing around with speed, David Seville prob. the most famous one to use it to speed voices up, also keeping in mind he did the three part harmonies himself, and also having to find the right speed and pacing to sing at, with it still making sense? Now it's easy to do it, it can be done live. Just thinking about how they did it in the mid 50s though? A lot of work, but it paid off, didn't it..

I believe all GNR songs were recorded, and played, tuned down a half step.

Not all. 'Better' is in Drop D. 'TWAT' and 'Sorry' are in standard tuning.

TWAT isn't in standard tuning. It's half step down. Notice how they played it in Dublin after the Maddy jam, and I don't think they tried to play it a "one fret to the left" just because they didn't expect to play it. They'd switch the instruments. Also, Sorry is a half step down too I think, I remember playing it myself on a guitar tuned half step down (before the comments: I started tuning that way before I got interested in Gn'R) and it seemed logical to me (the way the notes were chosen, it wouldn't make sense to tune half step up from the tuning you normally use without any reason like not being to play something from a practical point of view).

And Better is Drop C# right? I mean C# G# C# F# B D#.

Edited by Rafał

This I Love was played a whole step lower at the Taipei show. All other performances of TIL have been in the right key.

How was I not aware of this? :shocked:

Listen to what Axl says during the first 30 secs or so (he keeps talking a bit after the song starts):

If I remember correctly during a performance of Street of Dreams in 2010/11 Dizzy's piano was in the wrong key.

It was in Prague. Pianos are not tuned in different keys, it depends on the player which key he chooses. It was a little dizzy's joke I would say, to start the song in a different key.

This I Love was played a whole step lower at the Taipei show. All other performances of TIL have been in the right key.

How was I not aware of this? :shocked:

Listen to what Axl says during the first 30 secs or so (he keeps talking a bit after the song starts):

But that performance was in the regular key.

Wow what a reeally smart idea. I wonder why they havent thought if that. Raise the pitch by 6 or 7%! Axl should hire you.

They already had a Pro Tools engineer on Chinese Democracy, I don't think Axl's doing his hiring fair anytime soon.

No logic here,you will destroy his widdle dweams. ;)