The writing on Appetite

Bobbo

There seems to be confusion among the community as to how the royalties for Appetite were divided up. According to MSL:

Legally Appetite is 25% Rose and 15% Adler, but how those numbers came to be are very well documented. Slash came up with a formula to determine what everyone deserved. By that formula, Slash determined that Axl was responsible for writing approximately 41.7% of Appetite and Adler was responsible for 0%. Adler refused to complete work on the album unless he was given a portion of publishing. The band was on the verge of getting dropped if they did not complete the album. With the pressure of the band possibly disbanding, Axl caved and agreed to take 25% so that Adler could receive 15%, even though he hadn't written a note.

According to another poster:

Slash's book tells the story as the five guys taking 20% each until Axl decided that there's no way Steven should make as much as he should, so he took another 5% from Adler. Slash speculated that it "scarred" Adler.

Do you happen to know which story is actually true?

The first scenario seems reasonable except I find it hard to believe Slash came up with some complex formula to calculate percentages in that detail....

I love Slash but he was fucked up all the time back then and I don't think he gave a shit about anything in those days other than playing music.....besides if he really did come up with the special formula I would think he would have written about it in his book...that being said considering how fucked up they were all the time during the writing of Appetitte I think the scenario in Slash's book seems more plausible......Steven even claims the 5 way split was the arrangement in his book......would be intesting to see if Marc has any insight.........

Edited by classicrawker

They could be both true? I do know that it was set for 20% each and ended up Axl 25% and Steven 15% but I don't know the details on how it ended up that way. I do agree that Axl is worth much more than Steven but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. At Canter's I pull 10 times more weight than my brother but in the end we get paid the same. Also it doesn't really matter because were family and going back to the days when we had to hunt for food, the one who was the bast hunter didn't get to eat more food. There is one benefit to getting a set amount no matter what for each band member. When it comes to song writing you won't be fighting on who wrote what or who's song to use because the money is going to be the same. a lot of times money is what can break up a band.

Edited by recklessroad

They could be both true? I do know that it was set for 20% each and ended up Axl 25% and Steven 15% but I don't know the details on how it ended up that way.

Yeah, as with most things argued about within the Axl vs Slash paradigm, the two scenarios are not mutually exclusive.

It's probably a mish mash of both accounts. There was an initial agreement of an equal spilt, but Axl wanted to bar Adler. During the course of the disagreements a formula was used to determine who did what, and then a comprise was reached. I assume Axl would not accept less than what a 4-way split would give, 25%, and then rest gave 5% to Adler.

The first scenario seems reasonable except I find it hard to believe Slash came up with some complex formula to calculate percentages in that detail....

then you must not have followed the adler lawsuit

Marc Canter: I do know that it was set for 20% each and ended up Axl 25% and Steven 15% but I don't know the details on how it ended up that way.

he doesn't know the details, others do. your point? it's public record and was testified to under oath. marc is a great source of knowledge and his presence here is extremely appreciated, but you can't expect him to know or recall every single detail in the history of the band.

He doesn't? strange he clearly states in his post "I do know" so seems to me he does know the details which seem to jive with what Slash and Steven wrote in their books....so somebody has their facts wrong here.......

Like I said, in this case I believe MSL is right. Unfortunately I can't recall, how I know this. It must have been in the news or in a magazine from those days. But I know for sure, that I heard this a long time ago.

lol, he just said he doesn't know the details. if you're trying to get me to call out marc, i won't do it. have too much respect. what slash & steven wrote in their books does not jive with what was revealed during the lawsuit. not the first or last time they've lied.

LOL, Sorry mate read what he wrote again..

I do know that it was set for 20% each and ended up Axl 25% and Steven 15% but I don't know the details on how it ended up that way.

He clearly states he knows it was initially 20% split for all 5 memebers but ended up with Axl getting 25% and Steven getting 15% but he does not know how the split ended up with Axl getting the additional 5%..this jives with Steven's account in his book that he gave Axl 5% of his share to keep him happy.....

You need to pay closer attention............

Deanna Adler just posted on Facebook that her book's been pushed back again. I'm curious to read about her side of the story as far as the court saga went.

There's a lot of people who work on projects that never get credit even though their contribution was important. That's part of life.

if you're trying to get me to call out marc, i won't do it. have too much respect.

You're lying. These are some of your quotes about Marc.

Couldn't care less what Marc says about anything. If I spent even five minutes correcting the inaccuracies in his posts I would probably be banned over night.

So somehow Marc Canter, who not only helped the band out immensely in their earliest days and has been a close friend of pretty much all members of the band since 1985, somehow knows less about Guns N' Roses than you?

Maybe his memory isn't as good as mine. Maybe he prefers to protect people I don't have to protect. Maybe my info is more current. Maybe being someone's pal doesn't necessarily mean you know what's going on business wise. Maybe a lot of things. Bottom line is that 9 times out of 10 I read one of his posts and have to fight the urge to correct him.

I do not agree in saying that Axl is worth much more than Adler. Did Axl pick up a drum stick or guitar pick and write the music?

Absolutely not. Axl was responsible for lyrics only, in the beginning. A band is 5 guys and should be split evenly, Axl being a baby and

demanding more just shows how selfish he was. Be advised this is my opinion only. If Adler gave up 5% well, that's his fault.

Edited by 31illusions