Did Slash ever elaborate on his opinions of the new songs?

Hey Marc, in another thread a while back, you mentioned that Slash found the 2006 GN'R leaks to be "depressing." You didn't really expand on what he meant by this. Depressing in terms of the quality not being what he expected, or depressing in the sense that he was finally hearing something that sort of solidified GN'R was moving on without him? (Sort of like when you see your ex-girlfriend with a new guy, it finally sinks in that it's over...know what I mean?)

I was scouring the Internet tonight for old articles, and found this interview with Slash, where the song "Oh My God" is brought up:

I’m sure, however, that you were curious to hear the new Guns N’Roses song, Oh my god...

Yeah, I heard it when I went to see the movie End of days. And I don’t have any real opinion about it. Here’s how I feel : I’m dying to hear anything that Axl will release, these songs which more or less accelerated the split of GN’R. I won’t systematically say anything bad or reject something I wasn’t a part of. After all, although Axl and I were often in disagreement, sometimes we shared the same points of view. But we tended to become unnatural when we messed up the line-up, when we introduced foreign elements to rock. That’s why I felt at peace with myself when I left the band. And when I heard Oh my god, it convinced me that my departure had been a wise decision and that Axl and I were definitely no longer on the same wavelength musically.

I'm just wondering - did he ever elaborate on his opinions on these songs to you in private?

If it's not a question you feel comfortable answering, I totally understand, but I have to admit that I'm really curious what his thoughts were on the tunes, in particular those original early leaks in '06.

Oh My God is better than everything Slash has released since GNR with the exception of Anastasia.

This includes Contraband.

LOL

Oh My God is better than everything Slash has released since GNR with the exception of Anastasia.

+1 OMG shits on everything Slash has ever done sonce his depsrture great song

In your not so respected opinion only.

LOL

+1 OMG shits on everything Slash has ever done sonce his depsrture great song

In your not so respected opinion only.

Could n`t care less if you respect my opinion or not Did I step on toes ?

Edited by Son of a Guns

I like Oh My God quite a lot, and have since I first heard it - but I disagree with this opinion.

"Mother Maria" alone is better than "Anastasia," and there are other songs he's done that I really enjoy.

I didn't want to be a smartass or anything, just say it in case it was a mistake, so that he wouldn't miss it.

Nah, I was sincere with my post. I appreciated it being pointed out. I had a suspicion that I may have posted it in the wrong section; not sure why I didn't notice last night.

I completely agree, and I'm not that big of a fan of Oh My God.

Yeah I'd agree with that. Not cos I don't like any of Slash's post GnR output but because I fucking love OMG.

We never really talked about it so I don't know what he meant when he said it was depressing. It could mean a lot of different things?

Thanks for the reply. So he never really talked to you at all about hearing the leaks? Guess I'm not surprised. I read his book but I don't recall there being anything in there about Axl's new music, apart from just enjoying hearing his voice again or whatnot.

Not sure if you're comfortable with this question either, but did Axl ever really go in depth about his opinions on Contraband with you? I know you said before that he wasn't a huge fan. just wondering if there was anything in particular he did or didn't like on there.

Cheers Marc.

axl is the better songwriter, slash is the better lead player/riffmaker. slash's is catchy and emotive, axl's is more complex and nuanced that lends to better repeated hearings i think.

This I like some of Slash`s output but I`ll take Axl`s complex and nuanced style over Slash`s catchy and simple sometimes bland Rock any day of the week

We never really talked about it so I don't know what he meant when he said it was depressing. It could mean a lot of different things?

Thanks for the reply. So he never really talked to you at all about hearing the leaks? Guess I'm not surprised. I read his book but I don't recall there being anything in there about Axl's new music, apart from just enjoying hearing his voice again or whatnot.

Not sure if you're comfortable with this question either, but did Axl ever really go in depth about his opinions on Contraband with you? I know you said before that he wasn't a huge fan. just wondering if there was anything in particular he did or didn't like on there.

Cheers Marc.

He liked it but thought they could have done more with it.

You can't be serious... I love Oh My God - I think it's a terrific song but Slash's talent, style and sound are a class above anyone in my opinion.

VR was a great band and Slash's solo albums are both fantastic. Maybe you need your hearing checked ??? No really........

You can't be serious... I love Oh My God - I think it's a terrific song but Slash's talent, style and sound are a class above anyone in my opinion.

VR was a great band and Slash's solo albums are both fantastic. Maybe you need your hearing checked ??? No really........

Haha, sorry but to the idiot who said OMG was better than any Slash song...even taking Slash out of the equation...OMG is a shitty fucking song...truth. 90% of Slash songs since 1996 are better than that shit. Try harder next time pal.

it`s good when you add "in my opinion" Slash`s solo albums are fantastic ? don`t make me laugh they`re mediocre at best

Edited by Son of a Guns

Haha, sorry but to the idiot who said OMG was better than any Slash song...even taking Slash out of the equation...OMG is a shitty fucking song...truth. 90% of Slash songs since 1996 are better than that shit. Try harder next time pal.

I bet you like Bad Rain.

I bet you like Bad Rain.

Yeah I do like Bad Rain.

I just don't see how you can love Slash in Old Guns N Roses albums but don't like anything he has done since then?

Doesn't make sense. I reckon he has gotten better on the guitar and continues to put out regular and extremely high quality music. But we are all different :)