Is there any motivation for a truce?

alfa75

One thing that I feel gets lost to alot of fans here when hoping for some sort of GNR reunion or just reconciliation is what would be the motivation to do so?

Axl doesn't NEED Slash and it's not like he's gonna start dumping nuGUNS band members to start working with the other guys again, and surely Slash, Duff , Izzy are not gonna accept from Axl now what they wouldn't before.

I mean, BEST case scenario, there could be a show or two, but even then Axl risks so much and puts his new thing in jeopardy by drawing comparisons to the much loved original lineup. And how do you bill the reunion "Original GnR" as opposed to just "GNR". Possibly even worse than that, and something Axl must realize is that the whole thing could just be disappointing, and that is surely not something he wants to be involved in.

Not to mention what must be tons of legal red tape to resolve.

So, other than to please some hardcore fans, what is really anybody's motivation to work together again?

Yes there is. They could play in front of huge crowds of people which would be very satisfying for them on stage. Performing music that they wrote together for people that didn't get a chance to see it would be a great high for them knowing that they put these songs together and watching the fans get off on it. They could release old gigs that should be out there for the world to see. They could work together on a few songs. They have earned the right to do this and on top of it all there would be big money for all of them. Probably enough so they don't have to worry for the rest of their lives. Also Axl wouldn't have to carry all the anger that he holds on his shoulders because they would have worked it out before the rest of this could happen. There would still be room for the new band to do things with.

I wish I could agree but playing in front of large crowds they still do solo (OK not as big as UYI days). Working together for a few songs? Can you imagine Slash working w Axl at this stage and not in a GnR context to boot? Money? Are any of these guys NOT financially secure?

I would love to see it, but as Duff once said ...Once they stopped needing each other, the band started to fall apart (paraphrased), they certainly don't NEED each other now.

The only real reason to do it, would be a real desire to play together again...anyone see that day coming? The other might be money, but do we really want that to be the reason? Plus it doesn't seem like any ex GNR guys are financially motivated, or else this reunion thing would have happened already years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Again, I can't see money as motivating anyone to reunite.

http://loudwire.com/...rock-vocalists/

Pretty amazing that Axl is worth this much after all those years of inactivity. Shows how much GNR netted back in the day.

Hell, even Steven makes this list, and he was bumped 22 Years ago. AFD made all those guys richer than I would have though after all this time.

http://loudwire.com/...the-world-list/

A quick google search shows Slash at 32M, Izzy at 28m, and Duff at 20m.

Surprising to me that Axl is worth SO much more than Slash n Duff. I ould have assumed that any Pre 96 money was pretty evenly split and also that any royalties from AFD up to TSI gets divided between the 3 guys. So either these list are BS, Axl made a ton of money off of CD, or the other guys spent alot more.

Those lists are Bullshit. Steven lives month to month. It cost a lot every month to pay the mortgage for their house. They have many people working for them that they have to pay. Hotels can cost 3 to 5 hounded a day. You have no idea what it could cost them each month to function the way they do. What ever you think it is times it by 5 and you might to almost there.

true that. As sad as it sounds money could be the only reason those guys could play together again.

I'd have to agree with this. If you just take Axl for an example, I often get the impression he might be struggling financially.

From the outside looking in, and then how it's interpreted in my mind: He has a large band full of quality musicians to pay. A large personal touring entourage, giant production team when on tour, etc. Whilst all the first class travel, accommodation backstage requirements, and what not, cannot be cheap...all the crew need to get to each venue and won't be paying out of their own pocket...it's a huge bill. Then there is the mansion, hired help, general personal crap one buys he tends to buy the top of the line...all that adds up and I'm sure there is heaps more to it.

I'd imagine the managers and taxmen find the best way to get as much of this free, or close to free as possible (companies supplying Axl n' Guns with their brand of booze is good business/advertising), whilst also finding as many ways to write off business expenses as possible.

So although these guys all live glamorous lives, I'm pretty sure a lot of them (not just speaking GnR members/ex-members here, but plenty of celebrities), are very hand to mouth. For example, I wouldn't be suprised to hear many actors take sub standard movies they have no passion in just for the salary alone to meet their next few mortgage payments.

Most ppl live just out of their means, and get by through loans, credit cards etc then buckle down when it starts getting a bit too much. I often think a majority of celebrities are like this. Axl being one of them.

(obviously i have no idea about how much all these ppl earn or what they invest in or don't invest in, what they spend $$ on or don't spend $$ on etc etc. so its all just my opinion from what limited info I have....personal experience, and looking from outside in).

Sorry if off topic.

I am with you all in theory, but even if the 150m is hugely exaggerated and it's only 30m or something, I have to assume that GnR activities must pay for themselves at minimum and at best turn a healthy profit, despite all the aforementioned expenses. My point was simply that it seems unlikely that money alone would be enough motivation for any sort of AFD reunion.

I agree with you hudsonsaul, there have been red flags about Axl. Not that I think he or the other guys are broke, but as the saying goes, there's a difference between being rich and being wealthy, and I don't think any of them are the latter. It would be a shame for money to be the reason to reunite, but I do think it'll come down to that.

in january 2005 (shortly after old Geffen stopped to financise Axl's CD project) there were news about Axl selling his publishing rights to Sanctuary for about $19 million:

-----------------------------------------------------

January 26th, 2005 Axl Rose Signs Publishing Deal With Sanctuary

According to MusicWeek.com, Sanctuary Music Publishing announced on Monday (Jan. 24) that it has signed the publishing for GUNS N' ROSES legend Axl Rose.

The deal, which was confirmed by Sanctuary, covers all catalog on futures for the composer, including classics such as GN'R's "Sweet Child Of Mine".

It also follows a year after the company — a division of the 360-degree Sanctuary Music Group — announced its deal to sign UB40's catalog at Midem 2004. It has also recently signed a deal with Kobalt Music to use its technologies for administration purposes.

A spokesperson for Sanctuary Group says the deal represents the latest step in building the Sanctuary Music Publishing portfolio; publishing is a strategic priority for the group, he says.

-----------------------------------------------------

if that was true then just do the maths.....would a power hungry Axl ever sell aynthing off his own or give away his rights if he wouldnt need the money?

Edited by Lim666

The life style that they lead takes a lot on money to keep up

This point is very important. People think oh Axl doesnt need money! BS it takes a lot of money to live like he does. It takes a lot of money to put on the shows Axl likes to preform. Money has to keep coming in to maintain a certain lifestyle. GnR is a corporation just like any other business and if that corporation doesnt have a constant stream of funds it will fall apart. In the end I think Money will have a lot more to do with a GnR reunion than any of us would like to think/ believe

If GNR is a corporation, the point is to MAKE money. Of course it COSTS money to put on a show, pay the band, etc, but if he's not making a profit at the end of all that, what's the point in continuing to do it?

And if he sold his publishing rights for 19 million, well he has 19 million doesn't he? Maybe that's not considered "rich" anymore, but it's certainly not struggling.

As far as CD goes, it was Geffen who picked up the majority of the tab, so the 14 million or whatever didn't come out of his pocket as far as we know that is.

If GNR is a corporation, the point is to MAKE money. Of course it COSTS money to put on a show, pay the band, etc, but if he's not making a profit at the end of all that, what's the point in continuing to do it?

And if he sold his publishing rights for 19 million, well he has 19 million doesn't he? Maybe that's not considered "rich" anymore, but it's certainly not struggling.

As far as CD goes, it was Geffen who picked up the majority of the tab, so the 14 million or whatever didn't come out of his pocket as far as we know that is.

This is a great thread.

I think you're right to a degree, the point is to make money (and I'd guess have fun doing what you do), ..... I almost typed that point was also to 'get the music out there, and express whatever is inside you via your art'....but music doesn't appear to coming out all that regularly. IMO their out to make money (nothing wrong with that) with what they have, whilst keeping some dignity about themselves and how they do it.

A reunion for money reasons alone,...not much dignity in that imo,...unless you're flat out saying this is the case.

My personal opinion is all this touring is to keep the life style they all lead. Again nothing wrong with this. Imo if their lifestlyes were rolled back significantly, I don't think they would be doing anywhere near as much touring, or playing in places like Taiwan.