Slash's biggest influences on guitar

Vincent Vega

If I was to guess his initial influences, based on the time he grew up in - Ted Nugent, Billy Gibbons, Joe Walsh, Rick Nielsen, Davey Johnstone, Tony Iommi (but I'd go with Dio era Sabbath), Eddie Van Halen, Angus Young, Michael Schenker, Joe Perry, Mick Ronson. He gets asked that question more than GNR reunion questions. He'd prob. include Neal Schon, Steve Lukather and Tom Scholz. Leslie West always gets forgotten, but Slash and many other guitarists mention him.

Edited by dalsh327

If I was to guess his initial influences, based on the time he grew up in - Ted Nugent, Billy Gibbons, Joe Walsh, Rick Nielsen, Davey Johnstone, Tony Iommi (but I'd go with Dio era Sabbath), Eddie Van Halen, Angus Young, Michael Schenker, Joe Perry, Mick Ronson. He gets asked that question more than GNR reunion questions. He'd prob. include Neal Schon, Steve Lukather and Tom Scholz. Leslie West always gets forgotten, but Slash and many other guitarists mention him.

I doubt Slash would mention Schon, Journey's guitarist. That wouldn't be very "cool", now would it?

I can't really Jimmy Page as anything more than a "spiritual" influence if you will. Slash's playing (at least his soloing) is more of a fluid, style, akin to Mick Taylor's. Joe Perry and Keith Richards are clear influences on Slash's riff style but not so much on his soloing, IMO. Both aren't as good soloists and have a choppier solo style. I can't really see any EVH influence.

Really, he combines the best of two worlds--Choppy, punky or Metal-ish riffs mixed with fluid, bluesy solos.

These solos are by Mick Taylor; I could easily imagine Slash playing 'em.

Edited by Vincent Vega