Saturday Night's Mic Toss/Assistance Requested

Saltzy

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone on this board. You guys are awesome. I really appreciate the support, and even more so the well wishes. I just spent the day hopping from one hospital to the other to see my parents. My dad is a tough bastard, and I'm sure he will be ok. My mom however, in all likelihood, has a terminal brain disease called Lewy Bodies Disease which no one has ever heard of, but is actually the second most diagnosed neurological disorder behind Alzheimers. It's a real motherfucker of a disease, and she is in pretty bad shape. Like I said, this trip was basically about 3 things. Getting the fuck out of Dodge for a few days to get my mind off shit, seeing GnR, and celebrating my friend's brother in law's 21st birthday. My friend wanted/needed me to be there so much he bought me the plane tickets and the hotel room after I told him there is no way I can afford to go right now. After he had that mic taken away I knew it was up to me to get it back for him. It was like fate. Honestly, in retrospect this whole thing was meant to be, including having it taken away and getting it back. This story is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Now, just need to get it, frame it all up, and give it to my friend.

I honestly wish I could post the voicemail I got from the Hard Rock. It is easily the favorite voicemail I have ever got. Apolgizing profusly for any inconvenience, confirming my address, leaving personal cell numbers to call in case I have any issues, and stating repeatedly that it is the band and its management that is sending it back to me. Just totally badass. You could basically hear how the band must have had a nice little sit down about this shit, and how it would be stopping, now, in her voice. Sensational.

GnR forever.

what great news. hopefully this stops the security from pulling this crap again.

You see...sometimes we hate the waiting and all of that, but then there are stories like this one. Jarmo, Ron, Fernando, Vanessa, DJ...all of them are very accessible and can make that happen and even if Axl isnt accessible he's got the right messengers. You know, if I had the chance to go back in time and change something so I wouldnt be a GnR fanatic (and avoid all the pain in the ass that this band may be sometimes - lineup changes, canceled tours, not enough albums released in a certain amount of time, riots, etc), you know, I wouldnt change a thing. (Paraphrasing Bumblefoot's song "Dash" here...)

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone on this board. You guys are awesome. I really appreciate the support, and even more so the well wishes. I just spent the day hopping from one hospital to the other to see my parents. My dad is a tough bastard, and I'm sure he will be ok. My mom however, in all likelihood, has a terminal brain disease called Lewy Bodies Disease which no one has ever heard of, but is actually the second most diagnosed neurological disorder behind Alzheimers. It's a real motherfucker of a disease, and she is in pretty bad shape. Like I said, this trip was basically about 3 things. Getting the fuck out of Dodge for a few days to get my mind off shit, seeing GnR, and celebrating my friend's brother in law's 21st birthday. My friend wanted/needed me to be there so much he bought me the plane tickets and the hotel room after I told him there is no way I can afford to go right now. After he had that mic taken away I knew it was up to me to get it back for him. It was like fate. Honestly, in retrospect this whole thing was meant to be, including having it taken away and getting it back. This story is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

I honestly wish I could post the voicemail I got from the Hard Rock. It is easily the favorite voicemail I have ever got. Apolgizing profusly for any inconvenience, confirming my address, leaving personal cell numbers to call in case I have any issues, and stating repeatedly that it is the band and its management that is sending it back to me. Just totally badass. You could basically hear how the band must have had a nice little sit down about this shit, and how it would be stopping, now, in her voice. Sensational.

GnR forever.

Its fantastic that your efforts paid off and the mic will rightfully be returned to you. I cant imagine the stress of facing such a difficult time and having both parents in the hospital, I pray that your parents make a speedy recovery.

Maybe you and your friend can take joint custody of the mic since you brought the issue to everyone's attention and got it back.

I would reiterate that this definately happened on the 11/7 show. The sick part is the security guard seemed to enjoy confiscating the mic. He extended his hand as if to congratulate the lucky fan, and then took the mic and left the fan with nothing but the foam covering of it. So they didn't do this just one show. Seems like many of the Hard Rock security crew are big stupid thiefs.

Thanks again guys. My dad looks really good, and with some luck might be released today, so at least that's a step in the right direction.

Honestly, I am 50% happy that I was able to get the mic back and 50% happy that I, somehow, was able to get the entire security protocol at these concerts to change. I can't believe that they seriously were doing this behind the band's back, and then blaming them if anyone called to inquire about it. That is pretty pathetic for the few bucks these mic's cost relative to how much they are making at these shows.

Again, this whole story is just so perfect. The odds on me being at that show in general were pretty slim. This experience? Let's just say I didn't really expect GnR to be sending a package directly to my home. Just so fucking badass. I plan on printing out the transcript of these threads when are pretty much done and keepng them as provenance for the mic.

As far as the 'ownership' of it, it's gonna be put on display in my friend's house but we both know that we share it. The cool thing is he has a 4 year old son that he can tell the story to and pass it down to. I love the fact that I could do that for him knowing how much GnR means to him.

Congrats man, I'm glad GNR management and whoever else stepped up and got you the mic back. As a fellow memorabilia collector and GNR fan, I know how big of a deal this was. I was at the 11/17 show and saw the mic get thrown into the audience and didn't see security try to take it away, so hopefully your hard work has rectified the situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no mic as of yet.

Starting to get slightly concerned.

Sorry to hear that. If it were me I would probably cut them some slack in light of the end of the residency, Thanksgiving, travel, etc. and then follow-up with Ron or Jarmo (2 most likely to be immediately sympathetic/concerned IMHO) next week if I still didn't get anything.

Hopefully it didn't get "lost in the mix"- but perhaps you'll end up with an even cooler piece of memorabilia as recompense. Seems like they want to do right by you one way or the other so definitely "stay on it" through the appropriate channels. Good luck and keep the board posted as I am sure that will help the cause too...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

It's just a mic.

It´s not "just a mic", it´s Axl´s and for a fan it is very exciting to catch it after the show. It´s more about the sentimental value than the material value, it´s a good memory from the show and something that belonged to the singer who you are supposed to admire.

Saltzy, I´m happy for you and I hope everything´s fine with your dad :)

Yeah, definitley not freaking out or anything like that just yet. Plus, I do not want to come across as ungrateful or a whining, moaning little bitch. Certainly knowing that I know people went out of their way for me to get this done. It's just that the band is obviously gonna be getting on a plane to fucking India within the next few days, and if something got screwed up in the shuffle there isn't exactly a 'GnR, Axl's Mic Toss Shipping Issue' customer service number to call or anything.

I have a feeling that, like you said, between the fact there were remaining shows, the holiday, plus the fact I'm assuming the production team had some slightly more important issues than this to take care of, that it may be taking a while, but it was/is gonna get taken care of. After the voicemail I got from the Hard Rock and the responses I got in general I would find it almost hard to believe I was forgotten about.

....or maybe they were waiting to get it signed for me or something, eh? Eh? :awesomeface:

Thanks for asking about my dad. He's out of the hospital, thank God. Family in general is still in all sorts of shambles, but such is life.

Edited by Saltzy

GnR forever.

Happy for you! Sorry to hear about your parents. I lost my dad a month ago and its a tough thing to go through. Stay strong!

I barely comment on here anymore. But felt the frustrastion of your loss. I am happy you got it back!.. I would be absolutly devestated if it happened to me. But I have a question, do you have to let sercuity know if you catch such a personal item like a mic or anyhting else?. I know picks and towls they don't care too much about but seems like a lot of drama over a mic cause it is more priceless.

I only DREAM to catch it one day :).

And if I did I know I won't be hanging around with it at all!.

Those who say it is 'just a mic' something so little can mean a dream to others.

And hell yeah I would stare at it all day if I owned one! :D.

I'm actually surprised Bumble came through for you guys :D. He's great.

Edited by Melly4Axl

just a buy a shure beta 58 or 59 wireless im pretty sure thats what he uses and put it on display, no one will notice the difference and your sentimental value is just pathetic. it's a mircophone, not even an instrument, nothing personal "soul" to it whatsoever.

What a fucking douche this guy is

I just got a reply back from the woman at the Hard Rock that left me the original voicemail stating that the mic was being shipped back to me.

"The band manager was sending it out. We are following up with him.

Sorry for the delay!"

Julie

FYI, I found her email address on this forum.

I guess now I just sit back and wait again.

Edited by Saltzy

I hope its not the same person sending it out as autographed poster on gnr.com or your in for a wait

That was bloody funny! :rofl-lol:

Saltzy I wish you and your family all the best. You truly deserve the mic with all you're going through and you are so lucky to have such a good friend. Stay strong mate. x

I hope its not the same person sending it out as autographed poster on gnr.com or your in for a wait

Can you explain?

The name of the person I was given who was taking care of it originally was Clay Hudson.

The members of the official GnR site have been waiting 6 months for an autographed poster that was a prize. I suppose soon is the word!

That was bloody funny! :rofl-lol:

Saltzy I wish you and your family all the best. You truly deserve the mic with all you're going through and you are so lucky to have such a good friend. Stay strong mate. x

Can you explain?

The name of the person I was given who was taking care of it originally was Clay Hudson.

The members of the official GnR site have been waiting 6 months for an autographed poster that was a prize. I suppose soon is the word!

D'oh shit.

One would think they would be sending it to me before hopping on a plane to fucking India, but I really have no idea.

I'm thinking that if I don't have it by Monday night that I am pretty much fucked. For a pretty long ass time at the minimum at least.

Edited by Saltzy

Just got home and checked the mail. Still nothing.

I really hope I am wrong here, but I am beginning to think this was never actually taken care of, which would really, REALLY suck after getting so excited after hearing it was being shipped back to me.

Please, let me be wrong.