Do you think a band will ever shake the world again?

wasted

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a double album from Axl would shake the world. Something like the UYI set.

No. A reunion would though.

Both. Axl with some serious backing right now could do something. But yeah a reunion would be an Earthquake.

An Oasis reunion seems more possible.

Edited by wasted

No. But not because the world has gone to shit or anything. it's more the opposite. People have such access these days that each individual can choose much more limitlessly compared to 20 years ago. A whole world is not going to go apeshit about the same thing ever again because of the simple fact that just "good music" isn't going to cut it. Everybody has got their different taste so not a lot of people are going to be completely caught up with the exact same thing when there is SO much to choose from. Simple as that.

Btw I went to see Swedish House Mafia tonight on this huge venue and it was awesome (times are changing).

Edited by Changes

I think a double album from Axl would shake the world. Something like the UYI set.

No. A reunion would though.

It wouldn't change the world the least bit, it would just be a success sales wise but the music world would remain exactly the same. GN'R don't matter that way.

No. But not because the world has gone to shit or anything. it's more the opposite. People have such access these days that each individual can choose much more limitlessly compared to 20 years ago. A whole world is not going to go apeshit about the same thing ever again because of the simple fact that just "good music" isn't going to cut it. Everybody has got their different taste so not a lot of people are going to be completely caught up with the exact same thing when there is SO much to choose from. Simple as that.

Btw I went to see Swedish House Mafia tonight on this huge venue and it was awesome (times are changing).

But thats the thing. There on decks and people act like it's the fuckin' greatest thing ever playing shit by other people through a laptop. Er no.

But thats the thing. There on decks and people act like it's the fuckin' greatest thing ever playing shit by other people through a laptop. Er no.

First of all I would say the cover ratio is lower than at a GN'R concert. They mostly play their own stuff. Second, I think that occurred much more in past times. People THOUGHT the band was the greatest thing ever because there was only so much media space and the ones who got it became huuuge. GN'R today had not caused the same mass psychosis. I would have loved them though.

I think our own age has as much to do with it as anything.

A new album now doesn't mean anything close to what new albums meant to me as a teenager.

As a teen and young adult music is part of our lives. We feel like we are part of the team, we wear band t-shirts, hang posters on the wall, and favorite songs are attached to life changing memories. Your first kiss, your first love, a slow dance with your crush, an album can be attached to your summer or a vacation. Once you get order, music doesn't have that same attachment and meaning to most of us.

Hence, a band breaking out doesn't have the same effect on a 40 year old as it does a 15 year old.

I'm 22 and I hope this doesn't happen to me. My interest hasn't died down at all yet and it's something I really care a lot about but you're right this tends to happen.

People did used to say one day music won't matter to you anymore. What they didn't say is that nothing else would matter to me either. But really I'm just as interested as I was, I find that shit fascinating.I guess I just enjoy listening to music, whereas they thought it was somekind of pose to get chicks. I still like escapism.

A new album now doesn't mean anything close to what new albums meant to me as a teenager.

As a teen and young adult music is part of our lives. We feel like we are part of the team, we wear band t-shirts, hang posters on the wall, and favorite songs are attached to life changing memories. Your first kiss, your first love, a slow dance with your crush, an album can be attached to your summer or a vacation. Once you get order, music doesn't have that same attachment and meaning to most of us.

Hence, a band breaking out doesn't have the same effect on a 40 year old as it does a 15 year old.

I'm 22 and I hope this doesn't happen to me. My interest hasn't died down at all yet and it's something I really care a lot about but you're right this tends to happen.

i agree im 25 and i still feel the same about music as i did when i was 14 or 15 every big name release from a band i love is a huge event for me, but the discovery of new bands and albums is something i love to do, i really dont see that changing.

Also, no one gives a flyng fuck about art :lol: Sorry but it's true! Your average person, your working class fella on the street, couldn't give a flying fuck about fuckin' concept albums and interpreting songs etc etc, they want a flat screen and a fit bird...and thats it.

Yup.

Guest Len B'stard

I don't even think the problem is so much the artists than the audience. It's worth noting that, y'know, everybody in their fuckin' history of popular music theory fuckin' 101 go on about like, bands that are supposed to standard bearers for the revolution but they get rich and high followed by fat and old and are no longer relevant anymore and y'know, boo hoo, they sold us out cuz they didn't skip along and come and make life better for the whole world and change society (very reasonable expectations, as you can clearly see).

Perhaps its you, the audience. Perhaps these bands are meant to be, at best, signposts of what is possible if you apply yourself along with whatever modicum of talent you have, with all the good intentions in the world and change your fuckin' situation yourself, perhaps where you're going wrong in by sitting around and waiting for the next one and then the next one and then the next one, perhaps THAT is the real cop out? After all there's only so much a young boys with guitars and a drum kit can do, y'know?

i agree im 25 and i still feel the same about music as i did when i was 14 or 15 every big name release from a band i love is a huge event for me, but the discovery of new bands and albums is something i love to do, i really dont see that changing.

I think what Groghan was getting at was that you ain't gonna be like, posters and t shirts and going to the gigs and taping interviews off TV and doing your hair like em or whatever, in that way that kids of a certain age do.

I guess shaking the world in a certain way is old hat now. The iphone shook the world as much as The Beatles did. I was there, man, when the telphone became really interesting. So I'm sort of being nostalgic for a time I never knew myself. Which is what GNR was in the first place.