wfse

AC/DC also held out for years on a greatest hits collection, but they have "Family Jewels" and the two movie compilations.

But it shows they had control over the catalog and did it when they felt it was right. They license out to commercials and films, they're one of the biggest touring acts to date, and kids are still buying their t-shirts, so the money wasn't the #1 issue. Top 5, sure.

The whole "remastered for iTunes" sounds like they were content with how it sounded. I mean, I don't know why the Young brothers had such an issue with it, but Kid Rock on Howard Stern said it had to do with fixed pricing for each song that he didn't agree with, and I have to believe that tied into AC/DC's reluctance. I do think new CDs making it in the file share world have slowed down a lot, so if anti-piracy's doing their job and fewer CDs are available, kids are now getting the music through streaming and iTunes/Amazon gift cards. But AC/DC saying they didn't want people buying one or two songs of theirs was ridiculous.

The album art argument was always BS, because they wouldn't have shrunk artwork down to CDs and cassettes if it really meant that much to them.

It's pretty cool how each album has it's own special page design in the iTunes store.

really liked that too.

I've only seen one other band that had something like that and it was Pink Floyd, but it was just for the studio albums I think. With AC/DC literally everything has it's own design. Even the Jailbreak EP, live albums and soundtracks...

They must have been paid a shitload for this.

Edited by wfse

It's pretty cool how each album has it's own special page design in the iTunes store.

really liked that too.

I've only seen one other band that had something like that and it was Pink Floyd, but it was just for the studio albums I think. With AC/DC literally everything has it's own design. Even the Jailbreak EP, live albums and soundtracks...

They must have been paid a shitload for this.

The Beatles has its own special page design for each album too.

Strangely I find GNR have a much wider diversity of fans. When I mention GNR to people I know who really don't look like GNR fans (and I'm talking people who were around for original GNR) they all say "everyone loved GNR back in the day". Like literally EVERYONE thought they were great, so that includes so many different types of people. But AC/DC have ended up with a really stereotype image, which has actually isolated them from a lot of people here. Weird, actually.

Hmmm, AC/DC have a different perception here right? :lol:

Well you know what the majority of AC/DC fans in Australia are like? Not exactly high culture types now are they? (in all fairness that group is probably inclusive of GNR fans too :lol:)

I would rather repeatedly smack my head against a wall than spend a day with a person whose favourite band is AC/DC.

Guest Len B'stard

Strangely I find GNR have a much wider diversity of fans. When I mention GNR to people I know who really don't look like GNR fans (and I'm talking people who were around for original GNR) they all say "everyone loved GNR back in the day". Like literally EVERYONE thought they were great, so that includes so many different types of people. But AC/DC have ended up with a really stereotype image, which has actually isolated them from a lot of people here. Weird, actually.

I always found it was the opposite over here, if you liked Guns n Roses you got the piss taken out of you :lol: This was the era of rave and dance music and Madchester, GnR were considered a joke over here, an embarassment, even moreso when grunge exploded, i used to get shitloads of stick for listening to GnR, i'm fairly positive i was the only person in my school that was into em. Couple of people thought they were alright but generally speaking it used to make people crease up when you tell em you're a GnR fan.

Thats not to say they didn't have a good solid fanbase but it was generally a bunch of 4 fingered Dingles from up North...and not even the cool places up North like Manchester and that, i mean like proper fuckin' bumblebee land, thats where most of the GnR fans of England came from, white Northern suburban youth.

What's a 4 fingered Dingle? :lol:

(You're not suggesting Dazey is one of those are you? Actually a normal person is only born with 4 fingers anyway, and a thumb, so maybe no offense intended there? :lol:)

Hmmm, AC/DC have a different perception here right? :lol:

Well you know what the majority of AC/DC fans in Australia are like? Not exactly high culture types now are they? (in all fairness that group is probably inclusive of GNR fans too :lol:)

I would rather repeatedly smack my head against a wall than spend a day with a person whose favourite band is AC/DC.

You'd fit right in here in Australia, dude. :thumbsup:

Guest Len B'stard

Sorry that should be 5 fingered, whoose the spaccer now, eh? :lol:

Dazeys too legendary for any stereotype, bless him.

Edited by sugaraylen

What was the big deal anyway? They've pretty much always been a hits band so I can't see the problem being selling songs a la carte.

I have a feeling Malcolm's kids played a part in persuading them to change their minds. The interesting part is that they're allowing each song to be downloaded. I think it's good for the post Back in Black releases for people to buy.

My complaint's always been about not making the Australian releases the standard worldwide and using the original artwork. The Clash debut had 2 versions released because they were so radically different.

As far as I know, Tool is still not on iTunes.

I always found it was the opposite over here, if you liked Guns n Roses you got the piss taken out of you :lol: This was the era of rave and dance music and Madchester, GnR were considered a joke over here, an embarassment, even moreso when grunge exploded, i used to get shitloads of stick for listening to GnR, i'm fairly positive i was the only person in my school that was into em. Couple of people thought they were alright but generally speaking it used to make people crease up when you tell em you're a GnR fan.

Thats not to say they didn't have a good solid fanbase but it was generally a bunch of 4 fingered Dingles from up North...and not even the cool places up North like Manchester and that, i mean like proper fuckin' bumblebee land, thats where most of the GnR fans of England came from, white Northern suburban youth.

This is worse than when Dylan went electric Christian