IS U2 the "Biggest Band" over the past 30 years?

SunnyDRE

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More like gaydiohead.

Also, this isn't a matter of thinking U2 sucks or not, that's your opinion. But, in terms of the OP question, it's fact.

No, it's not. Over the past 30 years AC/DC are the biggest band.

I wish, but don't think so. I prefer AC/DC but U2 has a lot more fans.

OP, does it mean only bands who started after the '80? Cause the biggest band now and than are still the Rolling Stones.

U2 also has universal critical praise for at least four of their albums.

They're huge, much MUCH bigger than AC/DC is right now.

AC/DC is selling out arenas, U2 is selling out stadiums, playing longer set lists with more variety from show to show, and has managed to stay relevant while dramatically changing their sound between the 80s and 90s.

They're a damn fine band, and Achtung Baby is one of the best things ever created by humans.

I'm pretty sure AC/DC can (and has) sold out stadiums in the last few years when they toured, though.

Either way, I'm obviously agreeing with you about U2.

They played a smaller venue here in Chicago than U2 did. And U2 did a double leg in a year's time.

Plus, the only talk I ever hear about AC/DC are people making fun of them. Everyone that I know loves U2... but then again I don't chill with mullet heads. :shrugs:

I'm pretty sure AC/DC can (and has) sold out stadiums in the last few years when they toured, though.

Either way, I'm obviously agreeing with you about U2.

I'm a huge AC/DC fan. But I saw U2 at Giants stadium last year, with almost 90,000 other people. Not a chance AC/DC could have filled that stadium. They did put on a great concert at a sold out MSG when I saw them though.

I'm pretty sure AC/DC can (and has) sold out stadiums in the last few years when they toured, though..

Yes, of course. They sold out stadiums in Spain (at least) and they sold out the River Plate stadium (which is huge) during 3 nights in Buenos Aires (Argentina). Actually the DVD of that concert is AMAZING.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I mean, AC/DC can absolutely sell out a stadium in South America, but I don't know if they could hold a candle to U2 when it comes to the US.

In the US of course not. U2 wins with a big difference, but in South America and Europe (at least the countries I know) AC/DC are a living legend.

Edited by izzygirl

More like gaydiohead.

Also, this isn't a matter of thinking U2 sucks or not, that's your opinion. But, in terms of the OP question, it's fact.

No, it's not. Over the past 30 years AC/DC are the biggest band.

Smart Girl :) Although ACDC surpass U2 with their longevity - they've been at it for more like 40 years.

I remember when Black Ice was released and the ACDC boys were being interviewed. BJ was asked about his charity work and all he said was that it keeps him busy but he doesnt like to bang on about it like fucking Bono does! Or something to that effect.

Anyway, being an Aussie i can't help be a little biased !