Why did/do people like Nirvana?

Vincent Vega

Guest Len B'stard

See there's a bit of trouble there in that i'd rather have my scrotum chewed off by a poodle than have anything to do with that horrible genre started by that thick factory worker from Birmingham and his band of spastics :lol:

:max:

Sorry mate, i know you like it and that. And i guess in defense of it, conceptually at least, in terms of the music, it's really cool, it's interesting, it was a good idea i just don't like any of what was done with it that i've heard, it seems like Sabbath had two albums worth of steam in em and that just became metal. Again, you gotta bear in mind i know jackshit about the genre really, heard a little Sabbath, some Pantera, some Sepultura, a bit of Metalica, breezed over Iron Maiden, just ain't really my thing i guess.

I just thought it was people with not a lot of talent trying to make a Cream-like noise and not doing it very well. Which in itself ain't the worst idea in the world i just think it...isnt enough to base a genre around.

I do think that metal was invaluable to the evolution of the riff though, that density and breaking blues riffs down to like...even more simplicity and concentrating on the muscle aspect, a lot of punk bands owe a lot to that and i love punk. Actually, lots of the bands i love cite Sabbath as a major influence so on paper it makes sense for me to like em really but...

I believe it was Captain Sensible who first was quoted as saying The Sex Pistols sounded like "Old man Steptoe wailing over a dodgy Black Sabbath riff" :lol:

There's just something so complacent, so atypical, so...y'know, the long hair n the black clothes and the droopy face and all the songs sounding like some 5pm Nickelodeon fuckin' Are You Afraid of the Dark thing, there's just...it doesn't seem like it has enough in it for me for it to be rewarding in any sense? It's one of those things i really like elements of but the whole package to me is just kinda...boring.

All the sword and sorcery poncing about and that, was never my thing, i never liked...all that stuff, in music or movies or anything in particular.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate Iron Maiden for that reason. I can't stand all that mythical shit.

maiden really doesnt sing about mythical stuff though

You know what I mean though. All that melodramatic kinda thing. I know its obviously highly influential to bands like the Big Four and guys like Phil Anselmo but yeah horse's for courses.

See there's a bit of trouble there in that i'd rather have my scrotum chewed off by a poodle than have anything to do with that horrible genre started by that thick factory worker from Birmingham and his band of spastics :lol:

:max:

Sorry mate, i know you like it and that. And i guess in defense of it, conceptually at least, in terms of the music, it's really cool, it's interesting, it was a good idea i just don't like any of what was done with it that i've heard, it seems like Sabbath had two albums worth of steam in em and that just became metal. Again, you gotta bear in mind i know jackshit about the genre really, heard a little Sabbath, some Pantera, some Sepultura, a bit of Metalica, breezed over Iron Maiden, just ain't really my thing i guess.

I just thought it was people with not a lot of talent trying to make a Cream-like noise and not doing it very well. Which in itself ain't the worst idea in the world i just think it...isnt enough to base a genre around.

I do think that metal was invaluable to the evolution of the riff though, that density and breaking blues riffs down to like...even more simplicity and concentrating on the muscle aspect, a lot of punk bands owe a lot to that and i love punk. Actually, lots of the bands i love cite Sabbath as a major influence so on paper it makes sense for me to like em really but...

I believe it was Captain Sensible who first was quoted as saying The Sex Pistols sounded like "Old man Steptoe wailing over a dodgy Black Sabbath riff" :lol:

There's just something so complacent, so atypical, so...y'know, the long hair n the black clothes and the droopy face and all the songs sounding like some 5pm Nickelodeon fuckin' Are You Afraid of the Dark thing, there's just...it doesn't seem like it has enough in it for me for it to be rewarding in any sense? It's one of those things i really like elements of but the whole package to me is just kinda...boring.

All the sword and sorcery poncing about and that, was never my thing, i never liked...all that stuff, in music or movies or anything in particular.

I guess that includes Dio.