Why did/do people like Nirvana?

Vincent Vega

Did anyone else read the title as "Why dildo people like Nirvana?" :blink:

Anyway, I think it's because they were so different from the other '80s bands that the public was moving on from. And they make great music.

Haha, I did as well.;)

But yeah, they were different, good melody's, the lyrics I don't really like, but overall good band. Kurt was also an attractive guy, sorry have to say it, but it helped as well.

Personally I like AIC a lot more, but the death of Kurt created the legendary status. I am wondering what they would be now, if he had lived. Still a teribble waste of talent.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the 15th time Miser has made this thread. From time to time he gets jealous of the fact people have Cobain posters on their wall instead of Mick Taylor so he comes round to shit on Nirvana fans. Maybe he thinks we're dumb. Maybe we're just happy.

They had good songs. I don't really care for all the hype that Cobain gets though. To be honest, I didn't even know what his name was when he was alive. And Pearl Jam were the bigger band right up until Kurt shot himself in the head.

Edited by Randy Lahey

".. you can never predict when the Zeitgeist will hit..."

- taken from Stephen Thomas Erlewine's review of Nevermind.

Nirvana was better than grunge. They were on another level.

QFT

You think Nirvana was weak Lyrically? I thought some lyrics there were brilliant.

agreed.

drain you.

Meh, one of the most overrated bands in Rock history.....

if judging their entire catalog, than I say, yes..

...but for one album...No.

Nevermind is the best album of my lifetime.

Meh, one of the most overrated bands in Rock history.....

THE most overrated.

The Clash say, "Hi."

they made really shitty songs, the general public loves shit.

no they don't. you have no faith in people.

Edited by SunnyDRE

I don't count myself as a major massive Nirvana fan but, just because everyone comes into Nirvana threads to say they are over-rated (not realising how ironic that becomes when they all do it) I figured I'd say something good about them outside of the obvious i.e songwriting.

One thing Nirvana has that those other bands don't is a personal connection. There is an artistry there. I like being able to connect to someone's vision and not just feel like it is a product by committee.

For me the gold of AIC was Layne's mega voice but Cantrell was the heart of the band. It was a mixed bag. STP were fantastic and had a great frontman but sometimes showmanship can detract from a real human connection. Pearl Jam at the root of it were not exactly out of step with a classic rock lineage. I never really got into Soundgarden.

Nirvana on the other hand did have a bit of intangible magic about them that not many bands manage to capture. You can have a better singer or a better lead guitarist but there is more to it than that.

As someone mentioned, Where Did You Sleep Last Night on Unplugged is pretty magic. And it's not a Cobain song so it's not about the songwriting, it's not loud and fast and it's not a teenage angst number. It's an old Leadbelly tune. So there must be something else there too, no? And as much as everyone likes to pretend Unplugged was a pre-cursor for Cobain's suicide or something like that, when you watch it they are joking around before they go into the tune. Then it kicks off and they are straight into it and the whole atmosphere changes. It's raw and it's ethereal. Not many bands can do that.

Edited by Chinaski

They didn't have to be more talented. Their music, lyrics, and attitude was REAL. And a lot of people connected to it.

It wasn't pretty or perfect, and I think a lot of kids can dig that. Same reason people dig punk. It speaks to people.

It wasn't pretty or perfect,

"perfect" for that time...

nevermind is micheal jackson, billie jean, purple rain..good. albums like this aren't the best album of any given year.....they are the best albums of a lifetime.

Because they sucked. I mean, who cares about Nirvana when you get Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees, Faith No More, Jane's Addiction, RHCP, Mudhoney, Melvins and tons of good bands around ?

Even though I love Grohl and Krist, Kurt sucked and was an whiny asshole.

irony is, if you "google" any of those bands and nirvana, you'll come up with interviews with members of said bands, and they don't feel they way about Kurt as you do.

nevermind is micheal jackson, billie jean, purple rain..good. albums like this aren't the best album of any given year.....they are the best albums of a lifetime.

Right album for the time and it was very good but vastly overrated in the history of Rock and no where near one of the best albums of a lifetime IMHO..........

The Beatles getting molested by Black Sabbath. What's not to like?

They did seem bigger in the UK than the US.

Kurt was very counter culture and therefore anti-american, whereas Pearl Jam come from a long line of american songwriting, it has that yearning and cinematic road movie feel to it. Whereas as Kurt was a sarcastic punk.

Pearl Jam is a american rock band, Nirvana were punk band that had some catchy tunes and arty distorted guitars. Nirvana are kind of like a more commercial version of The Pixies or Sonic Youth.

Nirvana was cool when I was 14 then I grew up Alice In Chains > > > > > > Nirvana

call me when Layne Staley writes anything as good as, Come As You Are. :awesomeface:

Seriously ? what`s so special about Come As You Are ? it`s a teenage angst driven 3 chord pop rock song it`s good when you`re 14 have you heard Mad Season ?

The Beatles getting molested by Black Sabbath. What's not to like?

They did seem bigger in the UK than the US.

Kurt was very counter culture and therefore anti-american, whereas Pearl Jam come from a long line of american songwriting, it has that yearning and cinematic road movie feel to it. Whereas as Kurt was a sarcastic punk.

Pearl Jam is a american rock band, Nirvana were punk band that had some catchy tunes and arty distorted guitars. Nirvana are kind of like a more commercial version of The Pixies or Sonic Youth.

Except they could n`t hold candle to The Pixies

Did anyone else read the title as "Why dildo people like Nirvana?" :blink:

Anyway, I think it's because they were so different from the other '80s bands that the public was moving on from. And they make great music.

Haha, I did as well.;)

But yeah, they were different, good melody's, the lyrics I don't really like, but overall good band. Kurt was also an attractive guy, sorry have to say it, but it helped as well.

Personally I like AIC a lot more, but the death of Kurt created the legendary status. I am wondering what they would be now, if he had lived. Still a teribble waste of talent.

You like AIC? :wub: