Why did/do people like Nirvana?

Vincent Vega

overrated big time and i agree Soundgarden and AIC are easily more talented song writers and musicians. i feel the only reason Nirvana made it was some catchy riffs and Kurt going after the biggest band of its time in GnR.

soundgarden and AIC are vastly superior talent wise, and song writer wise. I agree kurt said he wanted to right simple nursery rhymes. he wanted his music as watered down as humanly possible. in utero was a decent album but nevermind is awfully overrated.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I never got was the Nirvana is punk thing. They dont sound anything like punk at all, at least the punk I listen to. In fact I think the best album of theirs is the unplugged album,which is as far from punk as you can be. PJ, aic, SG, way more talented IMO.

Punk rock rock n roll.

Turnaround is pretty punk. Negative creep, the whole of Bleach. Theres a thread that runs through it to Very Ape, Milk it, Tourettes.

Punk, grunge its all just labels we all know know music is music.

Husker Du and The Pixies via Sabbath and the songwriting of The Beatles.

overrated big time and i agree Soundgarden and AIC are easily more talented song writers and musicians. i feel the only reason Nirvana made it was some catchy riffs and Kurt going after the biggest band of its time in GnR.

Teen Spirit exploded. They were just on tour and when they got back they had sold 10 million records. Every one signed to a major and there record sold. A lot.It was like AFD in that way. Some records just sell like fuck.

One thing I never got was the Nirvana is punk thing. They dont sound anything like punk at all, at least the punk I listen to. In fact I think the best album of theirs is the unplugged album,which is as far from punk as you can be. PJ, aic, SG, way more talented IMO.

nevermind is the greatest punk record of alltime.

No way is Soundgarden/Cornell better songwriters than Kurt. Better musicians maybe but not better songwriters. I'd put Jerry on equal footing or Weiland and the DeLeos.

this

Soundgarden are much better songwriters. In another league, really.

just no.

Soundgarden are much better songwriters. In another league, really.

definitely

no x2

Edited by SunnyDRE

nevermind is not even remotely punk

if people think nevermind is punk it just shows how diluted and watered down punk became.

again, its the greatest punk record of all time.

if people don't think nevermind is "punk" it just shows how bad music education has become (in the us at least).

It has some punk influence, but its not a straight up punk album.

Rancid, NOFX, early afi, pennywise, bad religion,fugazii,all better 90's punk the suicide machines, operation ivy, better ska punk.

Plus countless others, all mor punk than nevermind.

Guest Len B'stard

There hasn't been any punk since about the mid 80s and furthermore, it's not a sound, you can't listen to something and go "thats punk", it's not about three chords and playing fast because if it was there's songs by many many bands that could be considered punk. There is no discernible 'sound' to punk, it just doesn't work that way.

Anybody that claims to be punk or making punk music post-hardcore is pretty much just someone trying to live the other peoples lives, it's not even about the label punk, it's about doing what you want. In this era i find the most 'punk' people are the ones that look and sound nothing like this idea of what punk is that people have in their head. Punk is a certain intent, an attitude, a spirit, the spirit of freedom and inventiveness and not clinging to labels and imagery and being an honest and forthright and straightforward presentation of what you are and how you are and why you are exactly as you are.

The Undertones were a punk band, they wore parkas and flares and played three chord pop music...and not even that fast either. The Slits, The Sex Pistols, X Ray Spex, PiL, these bands have nothing in common soundwise yet are all punk bands, of the original crop.

Punk was a pointer, a cue, a clearing of the path so to speak, it's about going somewhere with the ideas that you take from it and flourishing, not trying to distill and endlessly recreate that 3 to 4 year period of music, yes punk was onto something, yes punk was great but it was great for those people and that time and necessary for them to reject what came before and make something of their own so you wannabe punk, you wanna doff your cap to punk? Then step outside of and away from it and make your own thing with whatever tools you have at your disposal.

Punk came about because of a cultural rut...don't try and make it into a cultural rut all of it's own.

Wow.

Is this guy serious? Soundgarden wrote like one good song - actually I'll give them two good songs.

Hahahahahahahahahaha. You clearly have no clue about anything. Instead of spreading bullshit about things I don't know, I actually have listened to Nevermind, In Utero and Bleach. Superunknown beats the shit out of any of these albums.

You probably think that 'Black Hole Sun' is Soundgarden's finest moment. Poor bastard...

Wow.

Is this guy serious? Soundgarden wrote like one good song - actually I'll give them two good songs.

Hahahahahahahahahaha. You clearly have no clue about anything. Instead of spreading bullshit about things I don't know, I actually have listened to Nevermind, In Utero and Bleach. Superunknown beats the shit out of any of these albums.

You probably think that 'Black Hole Sun' is Soundgarden's finest moment. Poor bastard...

Do you know what's great about opinions?

Nobody gives a fuck.

Now go piss on an electric fence hooray for tolerance!.

The used to play Polly the punk rock version live. To me punk means doing what you want being an individual. Its not a musical style. In a way embracing pop melodies for Nevermind was the most punk thing they could do. Teen spirit is jind of a joke song about how kurt would be perceived once he was in a famous rock band. Kind of like the cult of the victim. That it became an anthem for those people was ironic to say the least.

The used to play Polly the punk rock version live. To me punk means doing what you want being an individual. Its not a musical style. In a way embracing pop melodies for Nevermind was the most punk thing they could do. Teen spirit is jind of a joke song about how kurt would be perceived once he was in a famous rock band. Kind of like the cult of the victim. That it became an anthem for those people was ironic to say the least.

Wow.

Do you know what's great about opinions?

Nobody gives a fuck.

Now go piss on an electric fence hooray for tolerance!.

;)

This. And Black Hole Sun it's one of the worst on Superunknown. That being said the first two albums are kinda shit.

I agree with you. Ultramega OK sounds like a bunch of demos to me. Louder Than Love isn't that great either.

I think Nirvana are a good band, not that i ever listen to em or anything but if im out and i here them i dont scream, "Turn that shit off!" or anything. For that kinda band/attitude, whatever you wanna call it, gimme The Mats anyday of the week, imo Paul Westerberg is one of the most underrated song writers of all time.

There hasn't been any punk since about the mid 80s and furthermore, it's not a sound, you can't listen to something and go "thats punk", it's not about three chords and playing fast because if it was there's songs by many many bands that could be considered punk. There is no discernible 'sound' to punk, it just doesn't work that way.

Anybody that claims to be punk or making punk music post-hardcore is pretty much just someone trying to live the other peoples lives, it's not even about the label punk, it's about doing what you want. In this era i find the most 'punk' people are the ones that look and sound nothing like this idea of what punk is that people have in their head. Punk is a certain intent, an attitude, a spirit, the spirit of freedom and inventiveness and not clinging to labels and imagery and being an honest and forthright and straightforward presentation of what you are and how you are and why you are exactly as you are.

The Undertones were a punk band, they wore parkas and flares and played three chord pop music...and not even that fast either. The Slits, The Sex Pistols, X Ray Spex, PiL, these bands have nothing in common soundwise yet are all punk bands, of the original crop.

Punk was a pointer, a cue, a clearing of the path so to speak, it's about going somewhere with the ideas that you take from it and flourishing, not trying to distill and endlessly recreate that 3 to 4 year period of music, yes punk was onto something, yes punk was great but it was great for those people and that time and necessary for them to reject what came before and make something of their own so you wannabe punk, you wanna doff your cap to punk? Then step outside of and away from it and make your own thing with whatever tools you have at your disposal.

Punk came about because of a cultural rut...don't try and make it into a cultural rut all of it's own.

Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting everything that you like, playing whatever you want, as sloppy as you want as long as it's good and has passion - Kirk Cobain

Of course what punk originally was isn't there anymore but to say that idea of originality and pure expression can't possibly live anywhere else past that time is pretty niave if you ask me. at the end of the day what we're talking about here is just music, music is timeless and will always have an influence on later generations. I don't think its fair to take credit away from newer artists who have been influenced by earlier punk acts, I'm not talking about fucking Rancid, Green Day, or AFI, but the entire indipendant scene that has been going hard for the past 15 years that has been keeping that same idea alive, and verry much so.

Do you ever go out to see local bands in your area? Not like fucking 40 year olds playing classic rock covers, but real original bands doing their thing? There's a whole wealth of talent out there creating fresh and amazing music with as much if not more passion than anything the Sex Pistols did, but in the age of the internet you have to go out and find it yourself, it's not like the 80's and early 90's where it's delivered to you on a silver platter of magazines and MTV.

Edited by sweetness

Guest Len B'stard

Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting everything that you like, playing whatever you want, as sloppy as you want as long as it's good and has passion - Kirk Cobain

Of course what punk originally was isn't there anymore but to say that idea of originality and pure expression can't possibly live anywhere else past that time is pretty niave if you ask me. at the end of the day what we're talking about here is just music, music is timeless and will always have an influence on later generations. I don't think its fair to take credit away from newer artists who have been influenced by earlier punk acts, I'm not talking about fucking Rancid, Green Day, or AFI, but the entire indipendant scene that has been going hard for the past 15 years that has been keeping that same idea alive, and verry much so.

Do you ever go out to see local bands in your area? Not like fucking 40 year olds playing classic rock covers, but real original bands doing their thing? There's a whole wealth of talent out there creating fresh and amazing music with as much if not more passion than anything the Sex Pistols did, but in the age of the internet you have to go out and find it yourself, it's not like the 80's and early 90's where it's delivered to you on a silver platter of magazines and MTV.

I agree with every word, i never said there are no real original bands doing their thing, i was just saying that bands that copy punk aren't real original bands. I didn't even vaguely suggest that there's no pure original expression after that time period, probably most of the music i listen to is after that time period man :)