mygnrforum doesn't remember views across devices

nambis

I read mygnrforum on my laptop, my phone, and my ipad. unfortunately, mygnrforum must store information on viewed threads etc. as cookies, because this information isn't common across the three devices. For example, if I read a thread on my laptop and then switch to my ipad, my ipad doesn't "know" that I've already read the thread, and shows it as having new posts (hope that makes sense).

Strange, because the other forums I frequent do not have this problem. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks!

I've noticed this too. And not only across different devices but also the same. I own 5 laptops in my house and sometimes for one reason or another I have to use a specific one, the forum would show me all the threads I've read as unread and it's kind of annoying.

Edited by pi2loc

could any mods comment on this issue?

I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that High would be the only one who can work this one out and he is very busy this week after his vacation, I am sure he will respond regarding this soon.

Hope it is doable

• 2 weeks later...

Submitted a ticket to Invision and they got back to me pretty quickly.

We were using cookie based tracking which isn't normal (must have been manually enabled during a period of high traffic to try and reduce server load). I've changed the setting so that this information is stored server-side instead of as a cookie.

I did get this warning though - "They may experience a bit of weirdness when the change is made (as the system will not know exactly what has been read and what hasn't), but over time it will eventually correct itself and become more accurate then cookie based tracking" so it may take a little time before this works correctly.

Thanks for pointing it out. Sorry for the delayed reply - had a shitload of work on since I got home. :)