Is anybody else, despite the naysayers, quite open to Axl/Ashba?

Guest NGOG

That's how I'm guessing it will play out. So you'll get the best Bucket and Robin material, and you'll get a taste of what DJ can do in the studio, with probably more Fortus this time compared to the first Chinese. Now, where's that SRV Robin solo?

I need a title. To truly speculate with abandon you need a title.

CD II kind of guarantees a certain album. Self Titled means something else.

To hell with the idea that CD is a tainted brand. It's not to people who liked it. Those are the people who will buy the next one. The people who didn't like CD are pretty screwed unless Axl rewrites Dr Feelgood with Dj.

i'd probably like dj ashba's worst songs more than buckethead's best. of course, ultimately the ball's going to be in axl's court to deliver melodies and lyrics.

I think this is why Axl is so bouyant lately. I think he really has his songs done. Lyrically, the foundation of songs is there. Everything else is a bonus, Dj songs. He's not going to invent the wheel just do some more CD type stuff.

Edited by wasted

That's how I'm guessing it will play out. So you'll get the best Bucket and Robin material, and you'll get a taste of what DJ can do in the studio, with probably more Fortus this time compared to the first Chinese. Now, where's that SRV Robin solo?

To hell with the idea that CD is a tainted brand. It's not to people who liked it. Those are the people who will buy the next one. The people who didn't like CD are pretty screwed unless Axl rewrites Dr Feelgood with Axl.

Yeah it can go either way really. Axl is out buying guns with DJ. On the other hand, he wore that bucket on stage not long ago.

supposedly Fortus has already recorded songs with GNR, but they weren't on CD becuase they came after that record was basically written.

I find it hard to believe/come to terms with the fact that the Bucket/finck band were around so long and that's all they did. It doesnt seem feasible.

But that in itself provides a problem. One line up that has done material and new members like Ron and Dj who need to be assimilated.

I guess that's where it becomes a GNR album, biigger than the sum of it's parts. But the scope of the next record looks so huge, you've got potentially another Robin Finck song like Better being on it right across to a Dj song he wrote last week. With Fortus in between as a bridge, with Ron underneath going fuck this bridge is heavy. Imagine Bucket and Dj on one song. How do you produce a record that can benefit all these guys styles. is it possible?

if Ballad of Death opened the album then the next song was Silkworms, how would that sound?

Weird?

Exactly so I don't know, maybe Dj blends better with Fortus material from CD era, if you can call it that.

To hell with the idea that CD is a tainted brand. It's not to people who liked it. Those are the people who will buy the next one. The people who didn't like CD are pretty screwed unless Axl rewrites Dr Feelgood with Axl.

Yeah it can go either way really. Axl is out buying guns with DJ. On the other hand, he wore that bucket on stage not long ago.

It's possible he was just giving CD the promo it deserved.

could be a double cd, that would solve all problems. Dj being on CD III.

Bucket blended with Robin really well I thought. Perfectly even on some songs.

I can kinda imagine DJ and Fortus fitting together nicely in the same way. Bumble can sleaze it the fuck up like he did on Chinese 1.

If Axl can somehow blend Bucket, Robin, Fortus, DJ, Paul, and Bumble in one song to form a cohesive sound, where everyone truly contributed something, and mix it so it makes sense I will be thrilled. He got away with something similar with the crazy leads and metal bridge riff Bucket played in Better with the more lyrical, minimalistic, to the point riffs and solos Robin played. I enjoy that contrast very much.

supposedly Fortus has already recorded songs with GNR, but they weren't on CD becuase they came after that record was basically written.

I find it hard to believe/come to terms with the fact that the Bucket/finck band were around so long and that's all they did. It doesnt seem feasible.

But that in itself provides a problem. One line up that has done material and new members like Ron and Dj who need to be assimilated.

I guess that's where it becomes a GNR album, biigger than the sum of it's parts. But the scope of the next record looks so huge, you've got potentially another Robin Finck song like Better being on it right across to a Dj song he wrote last week. With Fortus in between as a bridge, with Ron underneath going fuck this bridge is heavy. Imagine Bucket and Dj on one song. How do you produce a record that can benefit all these guys styles. is it possible?

if Ballad of Death opened the album then the next song was Silkworms, how would that sound?

Weird?

Exactly so I don't know, maybe Dj blends better with Fortus material from CD era, if you can call it that.

That would be ideal, I agree. Dr. Silkworms.

Bucket blended with Robin really well I thought. Perfectly even on some songs.

I can kinda imagine DJ and Fortus fitting together nicely in the same way. Bumble can sleaze it the fuck up like he did on Chinese 1.

If Axl can somehow blend Bucket, Robin, Fortus, DJ, Paul, and Bumble in one song to form a cohesive sound, where everyone truly contributed something, and mix it so it makes sense I will be thrilled. He got away with something similar with the crazy leads and metal bridge riff Bucket played in Better with the more lyrical, minimalistic, to the point riffs and solos Robin played. I enjoy that contrast very much.

Weird?

That would be ideal, I agree. Dr. Silkworms.

If they could turn Silkworms into a 80s glam rocker with Dj's help the experiment in terror will be complete. CD II will be the nuke that sets us free.

I would love to hear what Robin and Buckethead produced, but i'm quite open and enthusiastic to what Axl and Ashba can do. Contrary to what i read people saying, i think Axl really hired Ashba not only to replace Robin "the musician", but also to replace Robin "the writer". It's no secret Axl always searched for a lead guitar player with writting skills!

Am I the only one who thinks Fortus is mainly a touring musician for Guns? I mean the guy was in the band way earlier than Ron and yet his influence on the record was not even audible!

Sometimes I wonder if after all the wait and so many tracks worked on Axl feels he can't just throw together and release a few straightforward fun rock numbers (which you'd assume he and DJ could throw together in a week) and instead needs to make everything as grandiose as possible.

Edited by Chinaski

I definately think Ashba could bring some renewed interest in the band. I like what he has done with Sixx AM. If Axl will let it, I think this current line up has great potential and is capable of creating an excellent CD. I just hope that there is work being done in that direction, even if we are unaware it is happening.

Am I the only one who thinks Fortus is mainly a touring musician for Guns? I mean the guy was in the band way earlier than Ron and yet his influence on the record was not even audible!

He wrote that mean riff for the Better chorus. The one Axl sings 'now I know you better etc,' on. Pretty neat stuff.

I think he can probably contribute a lot in the studio. Especially in a more classic hard rock style.

Edited by Rovim

This

Well, I would prefer songs by Bumblefoot and Fortus. But yeah, would be good with Ashba too, anything new is welcome.

But, I really hope that Ashba don't touch any Finck and Buckethead material.

but i think we will never have new album, i feel like 5 years ago, thanks to antiquiet leaks, axl had to release chidem.

Anything that will put some balls back into the music would be o.k with me....time for Axl to let go of ChiDem and move forward...release the rest of the ChiDem tracks in a deluxe edition box set but lets see what new music the current band can come up with

When you say balls, do you mean like production wise?