Axl Rose, your favorite moments

pugachev

Yes- back in the 'Live Era' I thought he was greatest of all time. Put all these guys in their heydays and you can say they all are the "greatest"- Rose, Dickinson, Plant, Ozzy, Roth, Tyler, Jagger, Dio...I'm sure I'm missing a bunch others.

You forgot Freddie.

Axl could be the best if he didn't destroy his own career.

Oh Freddie, shit totally forgot...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axl was definitely one of the greatest...and still is in some ways like stage presence and charisma. But I always thought he lacked something very important during his heyday period to be considered the greatest: more consistency in his voice. It was not uncommon for him to have his voice fucked up (usually the symptoms were way too much rasp) which was a shame. His voice was not as its best either at the Ritz 88 legendary gig or even at Tokyo 92 for instance.

I believe 2010 was by far the most consistent period for Axl's voice, unfortunately all ended soon enough in 2011 and never really recovered ever since.

I suppose a true top ten list (in no particular order) would be-

Freddie, Dickinson, Roth, Rose, Jagger, Plant, Bon Scott, Tyler, Ozzy, Brian Johnson.

this is probably closer to the truth, in some aspects GNR came close to belonging in "the best" list, but never reached "best ever" status.

just stating my opinion, thread was suppose to be about clips, but whatevs...

Did not mean to hijack thread sorry. Maybe a seperate "greatest rock frontmen" thread is warranted.....or you need a new thread title....but yes- thank god for those old clips of Live Era Axl exist.......to remind us all.

Just one example of how good they are live:

I have seen Rolling Stones, U2 (several times), Rammstein, Ozzy etc. and in my experience Axl is somewhere around the level

where I think Elvis and Freddie Mercury might have been, even today and who knows maybe more today than before.

What I mean here is the stage presence and the ability to create a special experience for the audience.

It is 6.2. here, happy birthday Axl!

I have seen Rolling Stones, U2 (several times), Rammstein, Ozzy etc. and in my experience Axl is somewhere around the level

where I think Elvis and Freddie Mercury might have been, even today and who knows maybe more today than before.

What I mean here is the stage presence and the ability to create a special experience for the audience.

You're joking about this performance as an example, right? It's not bad for NuGuns, but really. And you're joking about "even today and who knows maybe more today than before," right? Please tell me you're joking. If 87-93 Axl never existed and Guns hit the stage for the first time in 2000, you think we'd be putting Axl anywhere near the heights of these other frontmen? Please.

You're joking about this performance as an example, right? It's not bad for NuGuns, but really. And you're joking about "even today and who knows maybe more today than before," right? Please tell me you're joking. If 87-93 Axl never existed and Guns hit the stage for the first time in 2000, you think we'd be putting Axl anywhere near the heights of these other frontmen? Please.

No, I am not joking. I am comparing the experiences I have had in GNR concerts to those I have had with other bands (many).

The thing for me is not the amount of rasp (fits some parts) in his voice. Read some of the concert reviews at Ticket Master pages

(I wish more of those people posted here...). It is quite common for people to say there that what they saw was the best concert of their life

after seeing 100+ by other bands.

Who knows, maybe they were even better 87-93 (?), but now they have a really solid sound and Axl looks happier (I like that).

I get it, you like rasp and young and skinny Axl (and want to get new music), but the talent is still there, he looks good for his age

and they are a group of really talented musicians.