Country/Western/Folk

sweetness

So I recently discovered that I absolutely love old north american western folk music, the whole genre is pretty alien to me though. I'm not sure if I've ever seen it discussed in My World, but I was wondering if anybody could suggest some good country/western artists from the early to mid 20th century, all I've been able to get a hold of is a Hank Williams compilation that I'm really enjoying atm

Guest Len B'stard

Hank Williams was the fuckin' man. The boy was sick. When you listen to his old recordings, the one at the Oprey you get a real feel for just how popular this guy was, i mean it sounds like fuckin' Beatlemania out there. Check out Jimmie Rodgers, Roy Acuff, Lefty Frizzell, Ernest Tubb and Merle Haggard.

As far as folk, i ain't too huge on it, inasmuch as i just am not aware of that many folk artist, love and adore Woody Guthrie though. Not that i know a shitload about country either to be honest, except what i've heard. Elvis's first album, to me, sounds pretty fuckin' country :)

Can't go wrong with some of the suggestions so far: Hank, Cash, Waylon, Haggard, Willie, David Allen Coe. Hank Williams III is great as well, just a modern version of these cats. Lovesick, Broke, & Driftin along with Straight to Hell are both great albums, modern sound but has that classic feel. He's like the ghost of Hank Williams on cocaine.

Forgot about George Jones, he's a bad man too.

Edited by J Dog