Was DJ hired primarily to bring in a younger fanbase?

alfierose

There's obviously a record in the Axl/Dj dynamic, it's another option. Better than a poke in the eye with a shitty shit.

I sure hope so- though part of me worries that Axl and Dj working on an album at this point is a bit like Hitler and Speer tinkering with their Germania models as Soviet artillery rumbles in the background.

Very unclear to me who's going to pick up the tab for more recording (particularly for anything beyond just embellishing the Chinese "left-overs") at this point...

Hope I'm very wrong though...

Why should it have to cost a fortune though? CD only ended up that way because of excessive production, procrastination and personnel changes. None of the current guys bar Axl strike me as the procrastinating type especially DJ and BBF. I bet if the spent 4-6 weeks in a studio space as a band they could come up with a decent album at minimal cost. I think the biggest problem is that decent is not good enough for Axl, everything has to be spectacular or not at all which is a crippling mindset to have.

Edited by alfierose

I'd have to agree and say it is working as well. He has a great stage presence. During the last concert, my wife asked me who he was and said she liked him. I think he resonates with the fans. I have also liked some of the stuff with Sixx AM that he has done, and hope he will help Axl get some new music out.

Edited by yourcrazy

Well he's certainly not cool - he dresses like a 16 year old who's gone nuts in Hot Tropic.

Its always struck me as odd that the bloke who compared Slash to cancer would go and hire a walking imitation. The top hat, the mannerisms, the cigarette hanging out his mouth, the guitar stances, its such a blatant rip off i'm surprised Axl puts up with it.

Maybe he's hoping the kids won't know the difference.

Well he's certainly not cool - he dresses like a 16 year old who's gone nuts in Hot Tropic.

Its always struck me as odd that the bloke who compared Slash to cancer would go and hire a walking imitation. The top hat, the mannerisms, the cigarette hanging out his mouth, the guitar stances, its such a blatant rip off i'm surprised Axl puts up with it.

Maybe he's hoping the kids won't know the difference.

Have you ever considered the possibility that DJ's having a similar style (personal & musically) to Slash's was exactly what Axl wanted in the first place? Was it just an odd coincidence? Don't think so...

Well, I don't like his style and I hate the shit that he did in TIL and Better solo for example.

Hoping for he don't touch any Chinese Democracy Leftovers.

If Axl want to write songs with the current lineup, I would prefer with Bumblefoot and Fortus, would be awesome IMO. Anyway, write and release Ashba songs is better than nothing. Any new song is welcome.

Edited by LuanVictorxD

I'm sure it wasn't a coincidence which makes it even more strange. He's effectively gone and hired the exact type of player he tried so hard to distance himself from.

I desparately want to believe that we will get new music someday- but to the extent that this is really just a touring "Guns N' Roses Experience" type entity- it makes a heck of a lot more sense to have a "Slash/Mick Mars"-inspired lead guitarist and "showman" as your wingman than anybody else. Not saying that's exactly what's going on- but I remember thinking at the HOB Orlando show how much the current line-up reminded me of the UYI-era band with Axl, Dj ("Slash"), Richard ("Izzy"/"Gilby"), Tommy ("Duff"), Frank (big "physical" drummer like Matt back in the day), and Dizzy. Obviously Bumble and Chris represent something slightly more different or "modern"- but they certainly don't have KFC buckets on their heads or dress up as gothic stormtroopers or whatever. They frankly kind of "blend in" IMHO. Anyway- in that context- Dj's employment probably makes a lot of sense...

There's obviously a record in the Axl/Dj dynamic, it's another option. Better than a poke in the eye with a shitty shit.

I sure hope so- though part of me worries that Axl and Dj working on an album at this point is a bit like Hitler and Speer tinkering with their Germania models as Soviet artillery rumbles in the background.

Very unclear to me who's going to pick up the tab for more recording (particularly for anything beyond just embellishing the Chinese "left-overs") at this point...

Hope I'm very wrong though...

Why should it have to cost a fortune though? CD only ended up that way because of excessive production, procrastination and personnel changes. None of the current guys bar Axl strike me as the procrastinating type especially DJ and BBF. I bet if the spent 4-6 weeks in a studio space as a band they could come up with a decent album at minimal cost. I think the biggest problem is that decent is not good enough for Axl, everything has to be spectacular or not at all which is a crippling mindset to have.

I agree. Sadly, I just doubt there's a label exec that wants to take the "leap of faith" of funding another "Axl Rose-led" Guns N' Roses project (even if promised/assured/contracted that it would be modest in scope/scale and cost)- especially if the rumored 10 "finished" tracks (i.e. Chinese "left-overs") already in the can is true. I could well imagine their priority is probably: (1) reunion album; (2) another "Greatest Hits" or "Best Of" album culled from the "classic" material; (3) further down the list- a release of Chinese "left-overs"; and (4) waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the list a proper "new" Guns N' Roses album recorded by the current line-up. Maybe the Ticketmaster reviews and all the "Tour of the Year" Awards, etc. will convince them otherwise- but I think most of the folks at the label would be very anxious about contributing dollar 1 to another "Axl Rose" project. I think the best we can hope for is that over time they shelve (1) and (2) and eventually allocate some funding to "finish out" and release the Chinese "left-overs" (perhaps the top 8 tracks as an EP?). I would love to be very very wrong on this though. :)

I wonder sometimes if Axl has difficulty in working creatively with these guys because he is the boss. Just been reading some of Duff's book and one of the things he says about the creating of music and lyrics for appetite is that they all had to let it go and risk being vulnerable in front of each other to create what they did. Maybe Axl didn't feel comfortable with that process because they never fully did that as a band again.

I wonder sometimes if Axl has difficulty in working creatively with these guys because he is the boss. Just been reading some of Duff's book and one of the things he says about the creating of music and lyrics for appetite is that they all had to let it go and risk being vulnerable in front of each other to create what they did. Maybe Axl didn't feel comfortable with that process because they never fully did that as a band again.

Could be something to that. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if the reality is that Axl feels like "the boss" (albeit a mostly friendly/benevolent boss) with regards to certain members (e.g. Richard, Frank, BBF) and more like "bandmates" with others (e.g. Dj, Tommy, Dizzy, Chris). That could certainly "distort" the process of "getting everyone together to write" if true I suppose.

More than any of that though- my guess is that he probably still feels like he just closed a long, arduous "creative" period in his career (even if we as consumers only have Chinese to show for it) and is still in the frame of mind of just enjoying life, bringing the GN'R "brand" to areas of the globe he hasn't visited before (or often), and maybe a few trips down memory lane along the way (e.g. more and more covers of songs he liked, unearthing GN'R back catalog gems, occasional shows with Izzy and Duff, etc.). Maybe he just won't be in a "creative" frame of mind with anybody until all of that is well out of his system...