The Merck Appreciation Thread

Frozen Inferno

I think he came out at the London show in 06 when Axl fainted backstage or whatever to talk to the crowd. I guess that technically means I've seen Merck live. Thinking about it I think Del came out for a song earlier that night too. Jesus.

Merck's farewell letter, in retrospect, is completely level-headed and shows that he was a sane person dealing with a whole bunch of insanity:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/86766-an-open-letter-from-merck/

This. What Axl attributes to "murky Merckiness" I think is more a result of the yes-men in his entourage playing games behind his back. Even in the 2006 Download radio feed, Merck seems to be trying to keep things going in that shitstorm while Axl mouths off at him (not that I can blame Axl for getting mad, loads of shit went wrong that day).

There was an interview with Merck around 2009, I think it might have been in Portuguese, where he still professes his love of ChiDem and all things Axl. Came across to me as pretty genuine.

Merck's farewell letter, in retrospect, is completely level-headed and shows that he was a sane person dealing with a whole bunch of insanity:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/86766-an-open-letter-from-merck/

This. What Axl attributes to "murky Merckiness" I think is more a result of the yes-men in his entourage playing games behind his back. Even in the 2006 Download radio feed, Merck seems to be trying to keep things going in that shitstorm while Axl mouths off at him (not that I can blame Axl for getting mad, loads of shit went wrong that day).

There was an interview with Merck around 2009, I think it might have been in Portuguese, where he still professes his love of ChiDem and all things Axl. Came across to me as pretty genuine.

I found it funny when Axl blamed Merck for everything... when Merck set up so many dates for studio time and all that, and Axl didn't even show up... several times!

Any "merkiness" Axl discussed was just Merck dong typical manager things. Axl just creid fould becuase he did not like the idea that Merck was actually doing manager things that required him sometimes putting Axl in situations he did not back 100%. Merck was the only manager we've had for New Guns N' Roses that perfectly understood that business realities of working with a name like Guns N' Roses but still seemed to completely respect the new band.

On the other hand, it it was not for Azoff's connections, we probably still woult not have Chinese Democracy.

Any "merkiness" Axl discussed was just Merck dong typical manager things. Axl just creid fould becuase he did not like the idea that Merck was actually doing manager things that required him sometimes putting Axl in situations he did not back 100%. Merck was the only manager we've had for New Guns N' Roses that perfectly understood that business realities of working with a name like Guns N' Roses but still seemed to completely respect the new band.

On the other hand, it it was not for Azoff's connections, we probably still woult not have Chinese Democracy.

I believe Azoff is responsible for getting CD out but I also think he's the reason Robin left.

Merck really seemed to be the one wanting to get the album out. There was a real sense that any given Tuesday not too far into the future was a reality. Then from out of now-where Merck was out ? ..something appeared to go wrong. What ever that was I 'm not aware of. Since that day, he has not said a word (as far as i know) on the matter..

“I know I sleep well at night in the knowledge that when Chinese Democracy hits the streets in March that it is in large part down to my efforts over the last almost 5 years. I found the money and the motivation to keep Axl and the band alive and get the record made when everyone else had given up and walked away. We worked as a team united to make Chinese Democracy a reality. In the end the album will speak for itself but our relationship could not survive the pressure.” - Merck

Does that mean, there was a time, Axl could have run out of money, or does Merck refer to record company funding?

..as people assume Axl has millions in the bank and could have funded the finishing of the album using his own cash.

“I know I sleep well at night in the knowledge that when Chinese Democracy hits the streets in March that it is in large part down to my efforts over the last almost 5 years. I found the money and the motivation to keep Axl and the band alive and get the record made when everyone else had given up and walked away. We worked as a team united to make Chinese Democracy a reality. In the end the album will speak for itself but our relationship could not survive the pressure.” - Merck

Does that mean, there was a time, Axl could have run out of money, or does Merck refer to record company funding?

..as people assume Axl has millions in the bank and could have funded the finishing of the album using his own cash.

Axl finished funding the album after 2004. There was even a lean on his house.

That might explain why he could not pay for the painting he put a deposit down on. Didn't he have a Bentley on hire, that re returned somewhat damaged. Whatever he has made from the touring might have been eaten up by the Activision case which dragged on for years (that he went on to loose). No wonder he continues to tour.

Edited by vaida

That might explain why he could not pay for the painting he put a deposit down on. Didn't he have a Bentley on hire, that re returned somewhat damaged. Whatever he has made from the touring might have been eaten up by the Activision case which dragged on for years (that he went on to loose). No wonder he continues to tour.

..and maybe this is the real reason for there being no new album. There's no one to fund it ?