Neutral Milk Hotel set first live dates since 1999

bacardimayne

Neutral Milk Hotel are reuniting for their first live shows since 1999, with a handful of dates announced and a note that promises "more to come." So far, they are set to play two shows at Athens, Georgia's 40 Watt Club on October 22nd and 23rd, as well as a gig on the 25th at Asheville, North Carolina's Thomas Wolfe Auditorium. On November 28th and December 1st, they'll play the Hostess Club Festival in Taipei, Taiwan and Tokyo, Japan, respectively. (The band's note regarding this appears above a slightly longer, way more bizarre one that begins: "and of water course womb rume is a wandering the welkin woman" and keeps going from there.)

Group founder Jeff Mangum has played a handful of solo shows over the past few years, including festival appearances and a performance at Occupy Wall Street, while Neutral Milk Hotel remained on a hiatus started after they finished touring behind their landmark 1998 LP, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. This touring lineup will feature Mangum, Scott Spillane, Julian Koster and Jeremy Barnes, the group that began playing together after the 1996 release of On Avery Island.

Tickets for Neutral Milk Hotel's two 40 Watt Club gigs go on sale on May 3rd at 10 a.m. EST; no word yet on when tickets for the Asheville show will be on sale. A portion of proceeds from the shows will go to benefit Children of the Blue Sky and others in need.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/neutral-milk-hotel-set-first-live-dates-since-1999-20130429

Hipsters, start your engines.

• 2 weeks later...

meh, one of those bands that holds aesthetic above musicianship. they aren't bad I just can't stand how some act like they're one of the greatest bands of all time, it's like when somebody tries to argue Chinese Democracy is the best album of all time, just... no

anyway this was bound to happen since they randomly gained a ton of popularity within the last 4 years or so

• 5 months later...

Just got home from the show in Champaign.

One of the best concerts I have ever seen, we were about ten feet away from Jeff and the band.

I love that they brought the full horn section and bagpipes too!

Setlist:

Two-Headed Boy

The Fool

Holland 1945

A Baby for Pree

Gardenhead/ Leave me Alone

Everything is

The King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1

The King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 2 & 3
In The Aeroplane Over the Sea

Oh Comely

Ferris Wheel on Fire

Naomi

Ruby Bulbs

Snow Song Pt. 1
Ghost

[untitled]

Two Headed Boy Pt. 2
Engine

Phenominal setlist. What a great show! I was so lucky to get in.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...