What would have been a better name to NewGNR?

ManetsBR

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NGOG

it should have been called W.A.R.

The Eric Burdon band? :shrugs:

There's a pretty noticeable difference between the acronym W.A.R (meaning, William Axl Rose) and a little known funk band called 'War' (meaning, a conflict).

if axl had immediately continued the band and actually released more music/an album in 1999 or even 2002 i think people would be less cynical today. he sort of screwed himself over - a lot of people with casual knowledge of GN'R think the band legitimately broke up entirely in the 90s and axl, years later, decided to just hire new people and reform without the original members. it didn't quite happen like that but in that regard i think axl only has himself to blame for allowing, through years of silence and inactivity, people to assume this is the case.

i understand he was trying to re-assemble something unique and interesting (and he managed to do that with bucket/finck/tommy in '01 and '02) but they should have done a proper album and press tour and people wouldn't be harping on about slash so much years later. if he'd released, as most bands would have, a solid five or six albums in the past two decades, some people might still say "the slash years were better..." but i think there'd be a LOT less cynicism and indignant attitude from fans towards axl for using the GN'R name. i imagine if he'd put out a record with someone recognizable like zakk wylde taking over, that too would have helped ease the transition into a new lineup...but i think axl has deliberately hired session musicians who don't have a lot of fame so that he can retain proper control of 'his' band. a lot of people view this as a glorified cover band for these reasons. i don't, but i can understand why someone would.

In terms of being less cynical, who knows? It doesn't just depend on the amount of music, and/or when he released it, but how the masses would've connected to the material if at all. Who knows if it could've been Van Hagar, or Van Halen III?

Chance are if people would've shrugged off CD stuff in '02 like they did in '08, we'd be in the same spot. No way to tell either way though :shrugs:

There's a pretty noticeable difference between the acronym W.A.R (meaning, William Axl Rose) and a little known funk band called 'War' (meaning, a conflict).

Oh, thanks for the explanation :rolleyes::

Guest NGOG

You're welcome asshat.

You're welcome asshat.

HA! Nice catch n/comeback

Axl Rose and The Motherfuckers

I like this, Oedipus Rex could be the mascot.

Axl Rose and The Motherfuckers

I like it, but it seems a bit like he's not a motherfucker as well.

Maybe just The Motherfuckers would be more catchy anyway.

Appetite for MILF would go no. 1.

Guns N' Roses never broke up. Slash, Duff quit, other were just hired hands to be fired sooner or later (Sorum, Clarke), so I don't really understand why Axl should change the name of the band he co-created and gave his last name to.

I don't mention Adler & Izzy - because no one would argue that after their departure the band should already have changed its name.

Edited by Liquor & Whores