Axl's three options

ManetsBR

Axl is probably touring to try to convince the record company that this version of the band has a big enough following to start the release of another record. After all, there are quite a few sources that say the record company has written Axl and his project off. Also, Axl has hinted recently that they are in talks with the record company regarding a new record.

After CD, I'm sure it's going to take more than successful India and Australia tours to convince them that this band is profitable. Record companies don't carry dead weight. It's cut throat.

I think Axl doesn't really care about being relevant anymore. He just wants to keep on touring until he's reached the amount of money he wants for retirement, an then it'll be a farewell tour and adios.

The whole idea that GN'R should be relevant again is a bit naive, I believe. Very few old acts are able to remain relevant. Most musicians are at their peaks when young and live off that legacy later on. They just aren't able or willing to create new fantastic music that tops what they made done before, or deviates from it sufficiently to make them relevant again. Madonna succeeded at re-inventing herself numerous times, but she is an exception. Axl tried to reinvent GN'R with the Buckethead lineup, but failed.

The whole idea that GN'R should be relevant again is a bit naive, I believe. Very few old acts are able to remain relevant. Most musicians are at their peaks when young and live off that legacy later on. They just aren't able or willing to create new fantastic music that tops what they made done before, or deviates from it sufficiently to make them relevant again. Madonna succeeded at re-inventing herself numerous times, but she is an exception. Axl tried to reinvent GN'R with the Buckethead lineup, but failed.

ac/dc, u2, iron maiden, rolling stones

None of which have been musically relevant for quite some time, except for U2 when they released Achtung Baby.

Guest NGOG

[*]New album

[*]Reunion

[*]Retirement

What about masters, re-releases, DVDs? If done in relation to old GNR Axl could maintain relevance. There is still a vested interest in material spanning between Appetite and UYI.

Non-GNR projects or a non-GNR project as his primary means of output. Axl could just provide vocals for other musicians and enjoy continued artistic relevance. Alternatively he could create a Nine Inch Nails style main project without having to maintain a solid band image or GNR stigma and just release the type of music he wants to make with whoever he wants to.

He could branch out into others form of entertainment like Meat Loaf or even host his own weekly broadcast like Alice Cooper. Added to that Axl could just become a full-time socialite and get paid to party in certain people's company.

In the context of GNR maybe his options are more limited but even touring maintains some degree of relevance.

None of which have been musically relevant for quite some time, except for U2 when they released Achtung Baby.

sure.

A new album would not make Axl relevant again but it might be something that is 'good' and 'interesting', which interest the fans and hopefully artistically satisfies Axl. It would not sell much probably.

A reunion would not make Axl relevant again but it would make him, massive again (i.e. mega ammounts of money for mega stadium tours). Reunions inherently consist of lashings of nostalgia: they are antithetical to relevancy.

I do not undertsand how a retired Axl could possibly be relevant?