Major VS Minor

luciusfunk

Well for those who have studied music theory, here is an interesting piece of trivia; once upon a time the cathloc church banned the major scale. They felt it made people dance, drink, and be "unholy" so they banned the major scale for many years. That is why most church music is in a minor key.

Well for those who have studied music theory, here is an interesting piece of trivia; once upon a time the cathloc church banned the major scale. They felt it made people dance, drink, and be "unholy" so they banned the major scale for many years. That is why most church music is in a minor key.

Can you provide a source for this? I'm not necessarily challenging you that this is wrong, but generally speaking from what I can tell the Catholic Church has not very much stood in opposition to drinking. For my personal amusement I'd like to hear more about that.

And about one of the videos posted, I'm glad the Beatles took what was apparently a sad song and made it better.

:P

But really.

Edited by DirtyDeeds

@ dirty deeds

One of my music teachers in college said this in a music history class. It was monks I believe that said it, I'm not 100% sure if it was the catholic church. I was just assuming in was them since they are the oldest christian religoin. If memory serves, it was monks that came up with the western music scales.

I'm not claiming to be an expert on this, I'm just speaking from memory.

Here is an intresting article on the beginning of music notation

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2097/who-invented-musical-notation

Here is info about "the devil in the music" tritones.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritone

Edited by Mike420

• 1 month later...