Was CD the best of the nu era?

izzydoezit

I wouldn't believe that he wouldn't choose to include all the best songs on his comeback album.

Does it sound believable that he wouldn't promote his comeback album at all?

Well he didn't promote it. Probably because he didn't see Chinese Democracy as the ultimate full blown come back album. A real comeback would not have been possible when CD was released because of all the prejudge. Chinese Democracy could never have lived up to the expectations even if it would have been a best of newGNR album. Even if it would've been as good as Appetite people would still have said it wasn't worth the wait. You can't change people's attitudes with just one album.

Axl knew this. He knew that a succesfull comeback would be a slow process. That's why putting all the eggs in one basket would've been insanity.

Everything points to the fact that CD was not a best of album. First of all the Checkmate leak sounds better than anything on CD, at least in my opinion. Also Oh My God sounds better than most of the stuff on CD and so does the General intro. Soul Monster, Seven and The General are all A-listed songs and none of them were included on CD. The General is also Sebastian Bach's favorite song out of all the CD era songs. Soul Monster is one of Axl's favorites. Most people consider This I Love to be one of the strongest tracks on CD and Axl wasn't even originally planning to include it on the album. Which shows that Axl had no problems leaving out the strongest tracks from the album.

Does it sound logical that a new band that wants to be big, decides to leave many of the strongest tracks out of their debut album? Well that's exactly what GNR did when they didn't include You Could Be Mine, Don't Cry and November Rain on Appetite For Destruction. Axl likes to save big guns for later. Maybe it gives him security or something.

This is GNR we're talking about. It's not a normal band. In GNR world it's perfectly normal to save big guns for later.

Edited by Lies They Tell

Does it sound logical that a new band that wants to be big, decides to leave many of the strongest tracks out of their debut album? Well that's exactly what GNR did when they didn't include You Could Be Mine, Don't Cry and November Rain on Appetite For Destruction. Axl likes to save big guns for later. Maybe it gives him security or something.

This is GNR we're talking about. It's not a normal band. In GNR world it's perfectly normal to leave big guns fro later.

I agree with all you say, but just want to point out that Axl wanted November Rain on AFD. Just an irrelevant point.

I wouldn't believe that he wouldn't choose to include all the best songs on his comeback album.

This is GNR we're talking about. It's not a normal band. In GNR world it's perfectly normal to save big guns for later.

This isn't quite the same thing though. Axl isn't just sitting on old songs, he's sitting on old recordings too. November Rain etc were newly recorded for UYI. But I can't see any of these old CD tracks being redone. Touched up, maybe.

according to many morons here, Silkworms is the best of the nu era, it's the best of the human era, it's the greatest thing that has ever existed in all of reality.

So you've seen many morons claim this in your 3 months on the forum? Strange, I haven't seen a single one in 7 years. :shrugs:

according to many morons here, Silkworms is the best of the nu era, it's the best of the human era, it's the greatest thing that has ever existed in all of reality.

So you've seen many morons claim this in your 3 months on the forum? Strange, I haven't seen a single one in 7 years. :shrugs:

let me guess: you have every single bootleg copy of Silkworms and listen to it several times a day, faithfully waiting for the day it's released and changes the world.

let me guess: you have every single bootleg copy of Silkworms and listen to it several times a day, faithfully waiting for the day it's released and changes the world.

You really need to quit guessing. It's painfully obvious that it's not a talent of yours. :shrugs:

People say the leaks are the reason we got the songs we did..... that may be true. I always sort of thought the songs that leaked did so because they were the songs intended for the album. The complete songs. The reason those songs leaked is they were circulating more as songs to be on the album so in all likelihood they are the best of the sessions.

People say the leaks are the reason we got the songs we did..... that may be true. I always sort of thought the songs that leaked did so because they were the songs intended for the album. The complete songs. The reason those songs leaked is they were circulating more as songs to be on the album so in all likelihood they are the best of the sessions.

I'd agree with you, but the leaks are from so many different time periods that it doesn't add up.

I wish Axl would talk with his fans and clear all of this confusion up: just how many songs are in the vault? how many are completed? Why was the trilogy idea vetoed? And CD2? Old songs? New? Axl could clear all of this up in half a hour.

I wish Axl would talk with his fans and clear all of this confusion up: just how many songs are in the vault? how many are completed? Why was the trilogy idea vetoed? And CD2? Old songs? New? Axl could clear all of this up in half a hour.

That would be nice.

Never.

I wonder if he knows what his fans want. I wonder if he knows how desperate they are for new material, waiting to hear something new from him. I mean, he probably does but like he said in that Del James "lol interview", to him they're all idiots demanding release dates.

No. Not anymore than UYI 1 was a "best of" album and UYI 2 was just the leftovers.

Based on the chats, it seemed Axl's original intent was to release the second album quickly (same Bat time, same Bat channel), and additionally that he considered it a double album.

There have also been multiple people who either worked on or heard the album that said some of the unreleased songs are the best or among their favorites from all the sessions (The General - Bach and Brain, Soul Monster - Axl, Atlas Shrugged - Tom Zutaut, Seven - Marco Beltrami, Beta's Barn - Pitman, etc.)