Who could've replaced Axl in the band if he'd been fired in the early days?

TombRaider

Someone said in the AFD thread I recently opened that the band had considered firing Axl in the early days. Well, if they had, who could've replaced him? Was this before Lies? I just can't see anyone signing GnR songs the way Axl does. I think it'd have been a huge mistake and it'd have probably backfired on them. I don't know. Even with all the bullshit that went down, because of Axl mood swings and stuff, I think it'd have been a mistake. And I just cannot think of a single singer that would've fit.

I don't think they expected or really cared to be the biggest rock band of the time. Of course they wanted to be able to make a living from their work but I'm sure they'd like to be easy going in the process. I don't think they would have found someone identical to him, just someone that wasn't as overbearing and erratic.

If someone has exceptional talent, they're willing to put up with their quirks - up to a point.

As far as not expecting to be a big rock band, I disagree. They put too much work into building the band up. I think they all had issues with each other, but they were able to put it aside because they had a shared goal and were focused on destroying everything in their way.

Classic line up less Axl is almost the same as VR.

I'm sure they can find a good singer, better or worst we don't know.

Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, AC/DC to name few of the bands who were succeeded after replacing the singer.

Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, AC/DC to name few of the bands who were succeeded after replacing the singer.

Take in consideration that this is about Axl being replaced after AFD was released.

The Firing of Axl was an attempt very early on to break him of his prima donna habits. HAbits that for better or for worse made GNR what it was. GNR was on the verge of being absolutley HUGE and Axl was playing his games with everybodies lives..not showing up, disappearing for days, missing deadlines and HE knew that at the core the guys wouldnt have the balls to fire his ass for doing so. It was a power play at the most juvelnile level. In the end it became a classic I'll just take my ball and go home. The rest of the band and managment were held hostage to whatever mood Axl found himself in at anyone given time. (dont get your panties in a coil Axlites..the same was true for everyone else at times..but the spotlight and expectation was always higher for Axl to get it together and provide the leadership)

At that time there was the LA fame of being an exceptional performer and singer and the national fame was just giving Axl a taste of the big time...They might have soldiered on with another singer but i doubt that they would have been as huge as they became. Remember that Axl back in the day was known and loved for his rants and antics and his defiance much moreso than his singing ability..he was the quentiessential rocker and perhaps the last hurrah for that genre' before being a rockstar was a cliche'

No one could have effectively replaced Axl and made it authentic GNR and vise versa...The appeal of GNR was the backstory of each person coming in and contributing. LA at the time had thousands of unsigned bands and huge pool of talent to choose from but in doing so, the whole scenario of plugging in new players at that point in time would have meant that GNR was just another band out of LA.

Take in consideration that this is about Axl being replaced after AFD was released.

Highway To Hell has been the signature album of AC/DC, it's the last album of Bon Scott but Back in Black is better with the new hired lead singer and it's the all time greatest rock album in the history, 2nd highest-selling album of all time behind Michael Jackson.

Classic line-up were great musicians as AC/DC, only requires a hired lead singer as replacement.