The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

That six-year contract is beginning to look increasingly optimistic.

This transfer window could very well be defining for Moyes, in that it will outline what his ideas are. This squad is poor, most honest United supporters know that. It's also the same squad that cantered to the title last season, bar Fellaini. Our competitors (City especially) were not great, last season and failed to strengthen. That was one factor in the 20th title. More important, I think, was SAF's influence. There's been a notable drop in the intensity of our play. We haven't had much joy playing City and Liverpool the last few seasons but it's the results against the likes of Cardiff, Southampton and Newcastle that are the most worrisome. These are the teams you need to beat to get into the top four, let alone challenge for the title.

In short, Moyes needs to stamp his authority on the team and soon. Either get this squad to perform because you believe they can or admit that some of them aren't up to scratch and their time is up. At the moment though, we look somewhat directionless and it's unclear what Moyes wants to do with the team.

That said, I don't know who else would've been able to get much better out of a team. Perhaps Mourinho only?

This is the question. This is why I think this window could be important. Sign no-one and continue in the same way, the responsibility falls on him. Like I said, this squad isn't vintage. There are tribes in the Amazon just reached by civilisation who could tell you how poor our midfield are. Regardless it's still a hell of a contrast from last season to this one. Take the risk and recruit he will least be sending a message he sees areas to improve.

This transfer window could very well be defining for Moyes, in that it will outline what his ideas are. This squad is poor, most honest United supporters know that. It's also the same squad that cantered to the title last season, bar Fellaini. Our competitors (City especially) were not great, last season and failed to strengthen. That was one factor in the 20th title. More important, I think, was SAF's influence. There's been a notable drop in the intensity of our play. We haven't had much joy playing City and Liverpool the last few seasons but it's the results against the likes of Cardiff, Southampton and Newcastle that are the most worrisome. These are the teams you need to beat to get into the top four, let alone challenge for the title.

In short, Moyes needs to stamp his authority on the team and soon. Either get this squad to perform because you believe they can or admit that some of them aren't up to scratch and their time is up. At the moment though, we look somewhat directionless and it's unclear what Moyes wants to do with the team.

That said, I don't know who else would've been able to get much better out of a team. Perhaps Mourinho only?

This is the question. This is why I think this window could be important. Sign no-one and continue in the same way, the responsibility falls on him. Like I said, this squad isn't vintage. There are tribes in the Amazon just reached by civilisation who could tell you how poor our midfield are. Regardless it's still a hell of a contrast from last season to this one. Take the risk and recruit he will least be sending a message he sees areas to improve.

How much money does he have to play with?

Guest Len B'stard

henry.jpg

Shows what small minded petty sore losers Spuds really are so go ahead wankers, knock yourself out but you'll never know what it's like to have a Thierry Henry on your squad. Arsenal legend and the best player to ever grace the Premiership, playing for the best team ever to grace the Premiership.

Surely a lot - we didn't spend in the summer really. Now is the show of support.

Surely a lot - we didn't spend in the summer really. Now is the show of support.

Aye. After the debacle that was the summer the club needs to show it can actually go out and compete. There's multiple areas we need to strengthen in but we desperately need some creativity in the middle. It'd be nice to see Zaha given some games too.

Aye. After the debacle that was the summer the club needs to show it can actually go out and compete. There's multiple areas we need to strengthen in but we desperately need some creativity in the middle. It'd be nice to see Zaha given some games too.

I agree - better to be blooding youngsters if we're playing poorly. I just think a couple of good players in the middle of the park and we'll get on a good run. Just need to get them in, and they've got to want to come.

Guest Len B'stard

Y'know what, i think you can make a case for it not being, his foot nicks the other fellas foot and if you look how he falls his toe drags against the pitch and drags and then he falls, so you have admittedly minimal contact but that contact caused that horrible toe-dragging drop, you don't dive like that, you can't fake falling like that, you'd have to be stupid, you could hurt yourself. I guess you could argue that he dived and spooned the dive but you have to give him the benefit of the doubt because nobody tumbles like that on purpose, doing that to their foot.

Edited by sugaraylen

You can't fake falling like that? Suarez, Bale and Young used to all the time :lol:

Edit: My bad, Young still does dive like that only far worse.

Edit 2: Actually to be fair it does look there is slight contact but the ref obviously can't see that in real time.

Edited by Tater Totts

You can't fake falling like that? Suarez, Bale and Young used to all the time :lol:

Edit: My bad, Young still does dive like that only far worse.

Edit 2: Actually to be fair it does look there is slight contact but the ref obviously can't see that in real time.

Young's so bad it's unreal...

Guest Len B'stard

I meant specifically that dragging of the toe, stubbing of the toe and that. The resultant drag of the toe off the contact makes me give him the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by sugaraylen

That makes sense, a sharp goalscorer, foward. Like Freddie Lungberg or Pires. I would say they need a def mid. in the mold of Flamini. Sandro/Lucas/Parker. Maybe Frippong can keep his studs in the ground for one game though.