Touring to fund the new album

frozen_rose

I think it's time we put this phrase to rest.

It's simply not the case, that the band is playing these shows to fund the new album, and I think it's pretty naive in 2013 for so-called GN'R experts to continue repeating this phrase.

Live performances are Axl and Team Brazil's primary income. I don't want to get into hearsay, but it's no secret that the operation was running in the red for several years.

Think about how many people besides the 8 musicians you see on stage have to live off these revenues...

Money is something that needs to keep coming in, it cost a lot to keep that camp going.

I agree.

Axl doesn't need anything to "fund" an album. Any kid with a computer can record music and distribute it these days. Record labels and studios and retail distribution are relics of the past. Axl could gather his musicians and record an album in his garage if he wanted to.

Thing is...he doesn't want to. He's got nothing. His well is dry. If Axl had any desire for anyone to hear new music, we'd hear it. He either has no more music to give or just doesn't care.

I agree.

Axl doesn't need anything to "fund" an album. Any kid with a computer can record music and distribute it these days. Record labels and studios and retail distribution are relics of the past. Axl could gather his musicians and record an album in his garage if he wanted to.

Thing is...he doesn't want to. He's got nothing. His well is dry. If Axl had any desire for anyone to hear new music, we'd hear it. He either has no more music to give or just doesn't care.

Well said.

I agree.

The y cant release anything as GNR without the label. They may owe the label a record.

I think they have material. So its a matter of the deal they do with the label. Axl is probably willing to walk away unless he likes it. But TB can work it out.

Yes, it's the number one most idiotic notion: Axl needs to make money by touring so he can fund studio time.

Simple truth is that Axl can record and release an album for almost no cost at all, relatively speaking.

But, he just doesnt have it in him anymore. The fire is gone. He had everything, the biggest band in the world, and he threw it away, cuz he wanted complete control and dominion over his bandmates. Just look at GNR pre chi dem and post chi dem.

That would be enough to take the wind outta ANYONE'S sails.

Few reasons we don't have new music

1. All GNR classics were written before 87 between Axl, Izzy, Slash, and Duff. Nothing great has been written in 20 yrs

2. There is zero money in new music

3. Fans purchase tickets to see Axl sing the portfolio of hits and cover songs

4. No bands around today could top AFD

5. He has 10-12 songs ready to go if he needs to release stuff.

6. He doesn't like any ideas that he has heard from his current "band mates"

7. The muse hasn't hit yet

Axl needs to go on transitional tours (thanks NGOG) so he can fund his new record (thanks apologists), which Ashba has been working in the last years and will finally see the light of day with a combo of AFD dvd + New album.

Live performances are Axl and Team Brazil's primary income. I don't want to get into hearsay, but it's no secret that the operation was running in the red for several years.

You know, you say that, and I've seen other people say this, as if because the band can't get by on album sales only, that they are a failure.

The 2013 music industry is nothing like the 1986 - 1993 music industry. Bands now get by on live shows, ticket sales, merchandise, product placements, song placements...

GnR is lucky enough to have a large worldwide fan base, and lucky enough to be able to go to work every day in a different city, party after work, and then do it all again the next day.

If anything, the length of their touring is a testament to a band who's been able to stay successful in a new economy, and as a whole, a band who has been a wildly successful 'working band' for close to 30 years. Not many bands can make that claim.

I wish people would stop whining about album sales. Yes new material would be nice to hear, but these guys are making their living.

** Personal note to the band: with everything I've said, your ticket prices for the upcoming Toronto show are bordering on ridiculous, though I am still going! Also please don't ever get rid of the massive area your shows always seem to have for open floor standing room GA tickets. That's the best way to see a rock concert in my opinion.

Edited by kbirdie76

** Personal note to the band: with everything I've said, your ticket prices for the upcoming Toronto show are bordering on ridiculous, though I am still going! Also please don't ever get rid of the massive area your shows always seem to have for open floor standing room GA tickets. That's the best way to see a rock concert in my opinion.

They don't come here anymore to read our threads.

You know, you say that, and I've seen other people say this, as if because the band can't get by on album sales only, that they are a failure.

The 2013 music industry is nothing like the 1986 - 1993 music industry. Bands now get by on live shows, ticket sales, merchandise, product placements, song placements...

GnR is lucky enough to have a large worldwide fan base, and lucky enough to be able to go to work every day in a different city, party after work, and then do it all again the next day.

If anything, the length of their touring is a testament to a band who's been able to stay successful in a new economy, and as a whole, a band who has been a wildly successful 'working band' for close to 30 years. Not many bands can make that claim.

I wish people would stop whining about album sales. Yes new material would be nice to hear, but these guys are making their living.

I'm not referring to album sales, I'm talking about the musicians being behind on wages.

They tour so beta and fam can take lavish vacations and drive expensive cars. I drive thru 4 states in a Honda civic to see axl so Fernando can drive sum sick car or motorcycle around Malibu. Lol. Fuck those turds.

Edited by drtydane

Guest charlie555

They don't come here anymore to read our threads.

Yes they do.

I agree.

The y cant release anything as GNR without the label. They may owe the label a record.

I think they have material. So its a matter of the deal they do with the label. Axl is probably willing to walk away unless he likes it. But TB can work it out.

this ^^^^^^

Can someone post the clip of when they did "sailing" live ,acoustic, birthday party thing ?

listen to what Axl says at the end after the song

I agree.

this ^^^^^^

Can someone post the clip of when they did "sailing" live ,acoustic, birthday party thing ?

listen to what Axl says at the end after the song

Axl has said thjs more recently either Kimmel or USA Today. Im pretty surw the label controls the releases, they can reject, delay, ask for something else. The label will probably have many different ideas. Are they on interscope. Theres a lot of acts on UMG so they might have to wait their turn.