Is the endless touring only because of money?

Jeez

I found a newspaper from 2004 where it's an interview with Slash (because of Velvet Revolver) and he says some stuff about Axl.

"People think I live a luxurious life here in L.A, but it's actually quite normal. Axl used more money than Guns N' Roses ever earned."

Do you think the endless touring is mainly caused by Axl's use of money?

This topic was not made to talk/discuss about Slash.

Well duh. Look at the entourage Axl has. And then consider how he blew threw GNR's money in the early days: those videos, the huge studio costs, bloated tours, and the biggest cost of all: all the overtime fees to the crews (both the band's crew AND the venue's crew).

I always thought it was strange that the old lineup didn't make Axl pay for all the late fees instead of making it a band cost. If I remember, someone tried to talk to him about it and he flipped out.

I definitely think Axl uses it to find his lifestyle and support his entourage.

They're musicians, this is what they do for a living.

"Endless touring" is the James Brown level of 200 plus date shows a year he used to do.

Unless Slash looked at Axl's records, I doubt he knows what Axl actually spent money on. He only knows from the Illusions tour what Axl would've been splurging on.

Guest charlie555

Yes but the management of the tours is so poorly structured that very little money is made, hence the touring continues and continues.

One well-managed world tour with the right marketing, and co-headlined, would earn GnR a fortune - but you would need stick with a real manager (i.e. Irving Azoff) for that to happen without throwing your toys out of the cot somewhere along the line.

But thing is, it costs money to travel all over the world. Don't forget he has to rent the venue and the stage, pay someone to set it up and take it down, pay for getting all their gear to every concert, every single hotel and the list goes on. It's and endless list. All the stage-hands, technicians, electricity (?) etc. etc. I doubt he is left with THAT much cash after the show.

It has to be cheaper to rent a studio..

I believe I read in Slash's book that Axl used to throw huge expensive parties after every concert on the UYI tour that he never attended himself. Perhaps Axl is still "wasting" money on stuff like this..

Edited by Jeez

Guest charlie555

But thing is, it costs money to travel all over the world. Don't forget he has to rent the venue and the stage, pay someone to set it up and take it down, pay for getting all their gear to every concert, every single hotel and the list goes on. It's and endless list. All the stage-hands, technicians, electricity (?) etc. etc. I doubt he is left with THAT much cash after the show.

I believe I read in Slash's book that Axl used to throw huge expensive parties after every concert on the UYI tour that he never attended himself. Perhaps Axl is still "wasting" money on stuff like this..

That's why a CD costs $15 and a Concert Ticket costs $100+ .... what is your point?

I doubt GnR could sell as many records today as they could get people to turn up to a world tour.

That's why a CD costs $15 and a Concert Ticket costs $100+ .... what is your point?

What my point is? Read the thread title.

A CD costs $15 and a concert tickets costs $100. It's way more expensive to do a tour. So in the end, I don't think there would be a huge difference in how much money Axl is left with. So why tour? Let me know if you still dont understand :)

I doubt GnR could sell as many tickets to another world tour as they did to their previous one, or the one before that, or the one before that. A new album would be exciting and would probably make the news everywhere. A new world tour is only news in Brazil.

Edited by Jeez

Guest charlie555

What my point is? Read the thread title.

A CD costs $15 and a concert tickets costs $100. It's way more expensive to do a tour. So in the end, I don't think there would be a huge difference in how much money Axl is left with. So why tour? Let me know if you still dont understand :)

I doubt GnR could sell as many tickets to another world tour as they did to their previous one, or the one before that, or the one before that. A new album would be exciting and would probably make the news everywhere. A new world tour is only news in Brazil.

Lol I work in the entertainment industry ffs. I know more about the music business, and in particular touring, than you ever will! Trust me - you are the one who doesn't understand with respect :).

Of course it is more expensive to undertake a tour, that is why buying a ticket to a concert costs more than buying a CD. You're suggesting that because a tour costs more it means there is less/similar money in it for a band? That is ridiculous - you clearly don't understand the commercial reality of the music industry.

You doubt GnR could sell as many tickets to another world tour? What do you base that on? All of the recent tours have been Ad Hoc and poorly organized by management who have been micro-managed by Team Brazil. How do you think people like Paul McCartney still manage to gross tens of millions every year in touring revenue? He's not exactly fresh and hip.

Profitable touring is all about incremental revenues. Just as an example - if you put Metallica or ACDC on the same ticket as GnR you have instantly increased the target audience and hence the touring revenue.

Edited by charlie555

Every show? I doubt it. He probably did it to keep the morale up from the amount of touring they were doing and putting up with his moods.

Of course it is more expensive to undertake a tour, that is why buying a ticket to a concert costs more than buying a CD. You're suggesting that because a tour costs more it means there is less/similar money in it for a band? That is ridiculous - you clearly don't understand the commercial reality of the music industry

No, I don't think there is less money in it for a band. But I believe releasing a new album would make a lot of money for Axl (more than enough), and it would make another world tour even more profitable than it is at this point. So in the end, I think he would earn more from releasing a new album. Am I wrong?

You doubt GnR could sell as many tickets to another world tour? What do you base that on? All of the recent tours have been Ad Hoc and poorly organized by management who have been micro-managed by Team Brazil.

Exactly. Do you see Axl changing his management anytime soon? I don't. But then again, I don't work in the music industry.. -_-

Every show? I doubt it. He probably did it to keep the morale up from the amount of touring they were doing and putting up with his moods.

it was during the GNR/Metallica stadium tour, Slash said Axl wanted to impress guys from Metallica

Yeah that doesn't come out of Axl's pocket

Touring = fun time, making money and getting recognition from the audience - what could be better for Axl at this stage of his career?

Launching a flop CD 2 record?

Edited by trqster

Some of you have no clue how much it costs to feed and cloth a Brazilian family and Del James.

It is a wonder Axl gets any time off with the amount of leaches in his life grabbing cash out of his pocket.

GN'R = Axl's pocket. Where do you think he gets his money?

Edited by Jeez

Guest charlie555

GN'R = Axl's pocket. Where do you think he gets his money?

GN'R does not pay for all of those expenses. It depends on whether a promoter is involved or not, and each venue/show is done on different terms. Sometimes they just get a flat fee and do not bear many of the direct expenses. But, there are still overheads for each tour run that GnR is responsible for.

Why does touring prevent Axl from releasing a record?

He can release a record and continue non-stop touring.

It doesn't, you are correct.

But I think he is misguided as to how 'big' the album has to be. I'd imagine he is a perfectionist and wouldn't want to release an album that is easy to produce without constant tinkering, or one recorded on a shoestring budget. Therefore he remains in a holding pattern with the label.

Of course it is more expensive to undertake a tour, that is why buying a ticket to a concert costs more than buying a CD. You're suggesting that because a tour costs more it means there is less/similar money in it for a band? That is ridiculous - you clearly don't understand the commercial reality of the music industry

No, I don't think there is less money in it for a band. But I believe releasing a new album would make a lot of money for Axl (more than enough), and it would make another world tour even more profitable than it is at this point. So in the end, I think he would earn more from releasing a new album. Am I wrong?

You doubt GnR could sell as many tickets to another world tour? What do you base that on? All of the recent tours have been Ad Hoc and poorly organized by management who have been micro-managed by Team Brazil.

Exactly. Do you see Axl changing his management anytime soon? I don't. But then again, I don't work in the music industry.. -_-

Yes, you are wrong about a new album - it would not make more money than touring. In fact, it would probably not make as much as one sold out arena date would for GnR.

Whether Axl will or will not change his management team has nothing to do with working in the music industry ...

Edited by charlie555