Would you have ever imagined that it'd all end up like this?

TombRaider

Would you have ever imagined that it'd all end up like this?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I guess this thread is more for those of us who were fans of the band back in the early 90's and mid or late 80's. I'm still trying to digest what Beta told Manets, not because of the actual words she used, but because of what they mean, in the grand scheme of things.

Back then GnR ruled the world, when they were everywhere, would you have ever imagined that it'd all end up like this? You know, with just one original member remaining, with only one album with original material being released 17 years after UYI, with an endless tour, the band being run by Axl's surrogate family and no indication whatsoever of an album being released or being worked on roughly 5 years after the last album was released, with the fanbase divided over profound lineup changes and with a large percentage of that fanbase feeling alienated?

I wouldn't have. I still can't understand what's happened.

Edited by TombRaider

Most of Axl's contemporaries are either dead or playing bars. He's still around at least. Yeah, he's always been a volatile person - he could have probably been dead by now many times over. The original band itself was too volatile in itself to last. Too many egos, too much drugs/alcohol. It was always likely to burn brightly for a while then end in tears. I'm glad he's still around, I like the new guys and I hope he's got a few great songs or even albums in him yet. If not, too bad. I'm still glad we got CD and that he never pulled a Cobain and blew his brains out. Seems like life and creating music's a struggle for him, but that's often how it is. If you want great music/art/film/anything you go to the mad men. They're not safe or predictable, but when they're on fire they're fucking amazing. Sadly the rest of the time things come up shitty.

I personally firmly believe that this gypsy woman manipulated this very unstable and filthy rich rock star and persona to secure her own financial gain. Think about it, Beta was the nanny of his ex-grilfriend who moved in with her in Axl's mansion. In their break-up she chose Axl over her employer who by far is more successful and a stinking millionaire. Around the same time Guns was imploding as well. Axl became this emotional wreck. The man was an easy target and she took it. 20 years later there is hardly a Guns N Roses band (only by name) and a man who has his mommy by his side 24/7 to protect him from all the evil of the world, or one would say, all the sober people who can undermine the credibility of the total entourage and hangers on.

Edited by Memdroid

Indeed. Yes, I agree with everything you say, but the question is if you'd have imagined back in their heyday that it'd all end up like this. :shrugs:

If UYI era counts, yes. Everyone was waiting for Appetite For Destruction Part 2 and we got a totally different beast that went to insane excess. I think right then it was clear that Axl's main focus would be on topping what he'd done previously and attempting grand artistic statements. I remember thinking at the time "How the fuck are they going to top this?" - a 2 disc set full of 7,8,9 minute complex songs that still is a huge commercial success.

I honestly wasn't too surprised when the answer was 'it'll break up the band, take him the best part of two decades and pretty much drive him insane trying'.

The general reaction of the public when C.D. came out of 'What the fuck is this?' could have been foreseen too, as could the way Axl's seemingly been stung by that.

I think by 91 I sensed it was over. When Izzy left it didnt feel right. So I didnt expect much. I thought of it as going The Sex Pistols route. They will be legends but burnt out quick. CD is kind of like Axls great rock n roll swindle. So weve kind of had a second coming.

I personally firmly believe that this gypsy woman manipulated this very unstable and filthy rich rock star and persona to secure her own financial gain. Think about it, Beta was the nanny of his ex-grilfriend who moved in with her in Axl's mansion. In their break-up she chose Axl over her employer who by far is more successful and a stinking millionaire. Around the same time Guns was imploding as well. Axl became this emotional wreck. The man was an easy target and she took it. 20 years later there is hardly a Guns N Roses band (only by name) and a man who has his mommy by his side 24/7 to protect him from all the evil of the world, or one would say, all the sober people who can undermine the credibility of the total entourage and hangers on.

Gypsy?

I assume you never saw a real gypsy woman...

Are people still actually causing a furore about Beta's reply to Manets? Get over it already, it was absolutely nothing to be getting so riled up over. This crisis you're all claiming is a total work of fiction.

Are people still actually causing a furore about Beta's reply to Manets? Get over it already, it was absolutely nothing to be getting so riled up over. This crisis you're all claiming is a total work of fiction.

agreed !

on topic : i actually thought it would be worse than this... had someone told me in 93 that in 20 years axl would still be touring gnr but with a completely different band, i would have thought that was fuckin awesome... loved the old band but, but thought for sure at least one of em would be dead by now... especially adler (no offense)

Beta was let go because Stephanie hooked up with someone WAY wealthier than Axl, and Axl hired her on as a personal assistant. You have to remember Axl's sister was still in the picture at the time (they were both at the infamous party blowout between Stephanie & Axl), maybe Amy was just ready to not be dependent on big brother anymore, and Beta wound up taking over her responsibilities, and it sounds like Vanessa took over what Beta and Amy used to do.

I think Beta from time to time gets tired of Axl's moods, and there have been times she just wanted to leave and he tried to keep her around. She already had the responsiblities of 3 kids, and on top of that a rock star with emotional issues? It's a miracle she didn't leave a decade ago and work for someone else, she's met just about everyone in the entertainment industry and could easily get a job with someone else, she knows she can, but at her age? She'd prob. just take her savings and live comfortably in Brazil.

When it become apparent that Axl was truly arrogant and stupid enough to genuinely believe he was GNR and carry on with the name by himself we should have all seen how badly it would end.

The thought of it to many of us has been ridiculous, but as more and more time passes you truly do find yourself often wondering "what the fuck was he thinking" ever thinking this was a good idea that would go well for him.

Axl's career going into the toilet was Karma's way of telling him he made a bad decision, and there is only one way to ever make it right.