Were any shows filmed as opposed to being videotaped?

TheSeeker

Hey Marc,

We were discussing in the main forum a while back about how many professionally filmed GNR shows were shot on videotape as opposed to film because that's what live broadcasting required at the time (Freddie Mercury Tribute, Paris 1992 pay-per-view, etc.). The conversation started because the Freddie Mercury Tribute is coming out soon on Blu Ray, but it's just the standard-definition video feed upscaled to high-definition.

Were any GNR shows shot with film stock? I know Ritz 1988 was shot and edited a few weeks before its broadcast on MTV. If it was indeed shot on film and the reels still exist, it would be amazing to see that show remastered and released on Blu Ray.

Eagle Rock has been restoring old shows for Blu Ray and they do a really great job:

http://www.eagle-rock.com/product/ERBRD5066/Ladies+%26+Gentlemen

Doesn't a show need to be multi tracked so it cqn be released officialy? That would be a problem for the AFD tours, I think they didn't multi track any of them.

Slash said that every show from the UYI tour was recorded, so I'm assuming they were multi tracked and videotaped.

I might be wrong though. I also heard about that 1986 show at The Roxy (?) that was recorded professionaly.

Edited by Izzy_Stradlin_XX

Doesn't a show need to be multi tracked so it cqn be released officialy? That would be a problem for the AFD tours, I think they didn't multi track any of them.

Slash said that every show from the UYI tour was recorded, so I'm assuming they were multi tracked and videotaped.

I might be wrong though. I also heard about that 1986 show at The Roxy (?) that was recorded professionaly.

No the 1986 show at the Roxy was shot by me.

No the 1986 show at the Roxy was shot by me.

Really? I had no idea, that's really cool! Probably not The Roxy, but I heard one of the club shows was recorded or a soundboard leaked through a roadie or something, that's were the Ain't Going Down recording is coming from. Probably at the Whisky, I can't tell for sure. Anyways, thanks for the awnser!

Yes it was the one Del was working on. I once saw a teaser for it and it was killer. Too bad the band fell apart at that time.

Damn shame. What was the plan for it? Video/TV/cinema release around '95? Any bits that stood out for you?

Was the Live Era album originally going to be the soundtrack for the documentary?

I know Del was the one who chose the tracks for the album. And only 3 of the tracks on it are from pre-1991.

No thats something the record co made them do.

I was surprised a DVD didn't come out when they released Live Era. Do you know if Slash or Axl thought about releasing footage on DVD to go with the CD?

Was the Live Era album originally going to be the soundtrack for the documentary?

I know Del was the one who chose the tracks for the album. And only 3 of the tracks on it are from pre-1991.

No thats something the record co made them do.

I was surprised a DVD didn't come out when they released Live Era. Do you know if Slash or Axl thought about releasing footage on DVD to go with the CD?

The live era CD came out after Slash departed from GN'R so the documentary had nothing to do with it, and it will probably never see the light of day.