The next Tarantino piece, 'Killer Crow'

Guest NGOG

Avary was driving drunk with a passenger, he crashed and the passenger ended up dying.

Avary played the role of editor and contributor but ultimately Tarantino was always the visionary.

I think you're desperately trying to be eccentric if you give Natural Born Killers any superiority. It was a Tarantino concept with potential destroyed by Oliver Stone (who I otherwise like).

Guest Len B'stard

Oliver Stone made NBK better with his re-write. I enjoy Tarantino but Oliver Stone wipes the floor with him.

Tarantinos one was more about the guerilla documentary makers and Oliver Stones was more artsy fartsy comment on society-ish. They were totally different films and it's really hard to compare with Stones NBK being the fully realised article that it is (and in my opinion one of the best movies of our times, it really is perfect right down to the last frame).

A lot of Tarantinos movies are like that, behind the schlock exploitation film elements that kinda account of their lustre is usually the potential for great characterisations and a fair degree of thematic scope to make some kind of sociological point were he that way inclined as a filmmaker.

Oliver Stone made NBK better with his re-write. I enjoy Tarantino but Oliver Stone wipes the floor with him.

I wasn't triggering a general debate over their works, I prefer Stone too (by quite a margin actually).

But Stone butchered that Tarantino concept (in particular what should have been the best scene).

What do you feel was the best scene NGOG? :)

What should have been you mean? The scene with the Hun brothers, which, by Stone's own admission, he didn't do justice to.

Guest Len B'stard

I'm suprised Stone even filmed that, it wasn't included in the cinematic release and like...it didn't really do a lot for the film? At a point where the film needs to move forward it just sort of makes it meander. I do like the bit with Mickey and the Jeet Kune Do victim of theirs and stabbing that bird in the witness stand. But again see it just makes the whole thing overly cartooney and that wouldn't've served Stones overall intent, his biggest criticism of the Tarantino script was that it made cartoon characters of Mickey and Mallory when they were the ones that had the mileage to em.

Stone added the prison break part of the movie and all the media stuff and I Love Lucy scenes. Flashbacks and different filmstocks. The indian scene the whole transendental element. QTs script was basically just white trash Badlands. The whole murder is pure is Olly. He was going through a divorce and just wanted to vent. The soundtrack is also Stone, well some chick gave him some current music and he liked NIN. What QT contrubuted was the characters of Mickey n Mallory.

The best scene is when Wayne Gale interviews Mickey and riot is incited it was based on Charles Manson interview.

Guest Len B'stard

What is he becoming a spokesman for black people now? I thought that was Spike Lee's job?

Will he stay true to history or do whatever the hell he wants to like he did in IB and Django?

Its exploitation cinema, its not meant to be accurate, they're not historical epics, its like Iylsa the she wolf of the SS, its not meant to be Braveheart or The Passion of Christ. Edited by sugaraylen

That's the problem. Tarantino is above exploitation films. He needs to stop making shit like Django and Death Proof and go back to his 90s style, or at least the Kill Bill style.

I agree.

The first Taurantino movie I saw was Django and I didn't understand what made him so special, but after Pulp Fiction and parts of Kill Bill, I know he can make a good movie.

I feel Tarantino should stop making films that are almost comical films like that last turd he did. I feel he has it in him to make good films he has made good ones in the past but man his last effort was a joke to me. I feel he would benefit from having an editor and one who puts their foot down cause sometimes his dialigue can run and run and run and just get nowhere. Seriously Django was a mess of a film and since Jackie Brown his films have been all over the place.

I feel like genre conventions of crime movies held him together. But slaghetti westerns, kung fu, war movies I dont i find them pretty boring but its hard to judge. Id prefer snappy low budget stuff from QT like the Woody Allen of crime.

Why can't he go back to making films like Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and True Romance?

His prowess is in decline. The Tarantino genius is less and less evident with each film.

Django, while entertaining, is an incredibly cheap and uninspired concept. Jackie Brown was the last time he tried to do anything thought provoking.

Edited by NGOG