The next Tarantino piece, 'Killer Crow'

Guest NGOG

As in Basterds, it will be set in WW2 (and act as a finale to the Basterds, Django trilogy). The basic concept is that a regiment of African-American soldiers are screwed over by the US military and subseqeuently go on a killing spree of white army personnel en route to Switzerland (which of course, adopted a policy of neutrality).

The story was supposedly half complete the last time Tarantino spoke publicly.

Have there been any updates on this or are you just quoting that months old interview where he said his next movie would be another black revenge fantasy? I really hope that isn't the case. Django was good, but this just sounds like pure schlock.

I wanted to do a topic to discuss this concept, not provide updates. The information I've provided all comes from the interview circuit he did December-January.

I'm not sure about this one either. Is the only way to remedy an injustice cock your gun and kill loads of people?

I agree. It feels like ever since Jackie Brown, QT's been fixed on revenge flicks, hiding it less each time. Kill Bill still most definitely felt like a classic Tarantino film with the style and over-the-topness it had about it. Inglourious Basterds, while terrific, felt more like it was trying to prove a point, but I excuse it because I've always felt there are subtle suggestions in there that both sides are as bad as the other, so it's not a straight out "Jews killing Nazis revenge romp" like some make it out to be.

You can't say that about Django. Django doesn't hide what it is, and there are no subtle undertones. At its base, it's just "black guy kills white guys" and it's preachy as fuck. The only reason it's good is because of all the interesting characters. This "next film" he's talking about sounds like he's taking it one step further and going for all-out schlock with no substance at all, like he's just completely submitted to Jamie Foxx and decided to make Foxx's idea of a "good movie". I don't think I'm even interested.

Edited by bacardimayne

Guest Len B'stard

Have there been any updates on this or are you just quoting that months old interview where he said his next movie would be another black revenge fantasy? I really hope that isn't the case. Django was good, but this just sounds like pure schlock.

I wanted to do a topic to discuss this concept, not provide updates. The information I've provided all comes from the interview circuit he did December-January.

I'm not sure about this one either. Is the only way to remedy an injustice cock your gun and kill loads of people?

Yes :D

It doesn't even vindicate the black soldiers. They're subjected to a (presumably) racially motivated injustice right? So, instead of attacking the hierarchy responsible, they embark on a spree against rank and file whites?

Guest Len B'stard

It doesn't even vindicate the black soldiers. They're subjected to a (presumably) racially motivated injustice right? So, instead of attacking the hierarchy responsible, they embark on a spree against rank and file whites?

The thing is about Exploitation films NGOG is that they don't function under the regular moral compass of cinema.

Guest Len B'stard

But see movies like Kill Bill have more in common thematically and in terms of its values with exploitation movies than his 90s style although in defence of your point I guess Kill Bill or more accurately Jackie Brown is a lot more detached from the values of the genre it is paying tribute to than Django and Death Proof were.

Part of what I've always found endearing about Tarantino is that he doesn't see himself above those types of cinema, rather, he appears to be a product of them to a large degree.

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 1

Basterds was a Jewish regiment avenging Nazism by killing loads of Nazis. Django was a 'negro' (how many times are you going to hear that word in this latest concept by the way) avenging black slavery by killing loads of members of the white ruling class (and their associates). The killer crows are a screwed over black regiment out to avenge their percieved injustice by killing white comrades. Combine all of that repeated formula with a half hour towards the end of 'unexpected' twists and you have Tarantino's career in the last five years.

That's lazy.

Edited by NGOG

Guest Len B'stard

Kinda reminds of The Legend of N***** Charlie, although that was a western, there's definitely shades of that in Django and by extension kind in this. That was a fuckin' trilogy though, Legend of N***** Charlie, The Soul of N***** Charlie and Boss N*****.

I wouldn't mind another Death Proof. That one was a masterpiece compared to Django and Basterds. Tarantion desperately needs to get the guy back who he co-wrote his 90's movies with.

Why do you always seem to pick the absolute worst piece by any given director? Dead Proof is hands down the worst thing Tarantino put his name to in recent years.

However good call on Roger Avary.

I wouldn't mind another Death Proof. That one was a masterpiece compared to Django and Basterds. Tarantion desperately needs to get the guy back who he co-wrote his 90's movies with.

Why do you always seem to pick the absolute worst piece by any given director? Dead Proof is hands down the worst thing Tarantino put his name to in recent years.

However good call on Roger Avary.

It's still way better than Basterds and Django.

There is a Tarantino league of pieces like Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Then there is a league for Basterds and Django and Jackie Brown. Then you're really scraping the barrel and talking about Death Proof and other pieces Tarantino would prefer to no longer be associated with.

• Like 1

Tarantino was certainly shrewd in the way he worked the creative relationship with Avary. Avary is basically untouchable now though since the manslaughter charge.