The Beatles

luciusfunk

He sang it well though.

I know Paul wrote the most number one songs in The Beatles. So there's that. His work on Sgt. Pepper's was gorgeous. A Day in the Life gets so much praise and the lyrics are about nothing. Lennon sings about shit he read in the paper, Paul sings about getting up and realizing he's late for work. Lennon continues to sing about nonsense.

Lennon also wrote I Am the Walrus. Don't tell me there was no LSD involved in the making of that song...and video.

John wrote the best lyrics -

DON'T LET ME DOWN

DON'T LET ME DOWN

DON'T LET ME DOWN

DON'T LET ME DOWN

NOBODY EVER LOVE ME LIKE SHE DOES

OH SHE DOES

YES SHE DOES

AND IF SOMEBODY LOVE ME LIKE SHE DO ME

OOH SHE DO ME

YES SHE DOES

DON'T LET ME DOWN

DON'T LET ME DOWN

DON'T LET ME DOWN

DON'T LET ME DOWN

Great lyrics, I know. ''Don't let me down'' he is saying to Yoko. It is a masculine plea of insecurity. Lyrics like that do not come much better.

I've never liked how half his songs revolved around Yoko. Great to love someone but please, shut up about it.

'The Lovely Linda' anybody?

Dear Yoko

Oh Yoko

The Ballad of John and Yoko

I'm Losing You

If I liked Paul's cheesy pop solo career, I could probably tell you more 'Linda' songs.

All those Lennon songs are masterpieces - and I'm Losing You could be generic, i.e. 'Yoko' is not mentioned. Listen, this argument is the stupidest argument one can make. If you have a problem with popular songwriters writing about their girlfriends/wives, then you must have a problem with just about every songwriter who has ever written a song - case in point, Axl's Steph ballads.

I've never liked how half his songs revolved around Yoko. Great to love someone but please, shut up about it.

'The Lovely Linda' anybody?

Dear Yoko

Oh Yoko

The Ballad of John and Yoko

I'm Losing You

If I liked Paul's cheesy pop solo career, I could probably tell you more 'Linda' songs.

All those Lennon songs are masterpieces - and I'm Losing You could be generic, i.e. 'Yoko' is not mentioned. Listen, this argument is the stupidest argument one can make. If you have a problem with popular songwriters writing about their girlfriends/wives, then you must have a problem with just about every songwriter who has ever written a song - case in point, Axl's Steph ballads.

The Ballad of John and Yoko, perhaps. It was a number one after all.

Of course. And their best stuff was when they were writing together, which is, until 1966; some of these songs, 'Day tripper', 'Paperback Writer', 'In My Life' were 50/50 collaborations. Lennon was the soul of the band and provided the anger and ironic wit. McCartney provided the musicality and. melodic 'bounce'. They both messed around with weird chords, 7ths and 9ths. They both were inherently rock n' roll also (Lennonw as Berry to Paul's Little Richard) so, I have never subscribed to the theory that only Lennon was the 'rocker'. In addition, Lyrically, Lennon depicted subjective self-expressionism, whereas, Paul depicted objective story-telling. They both fed off each other, and both were inspired by each other.

But then, when it began to fall apart, which was as early as 1968 (Lennon was actually deeply involved with Pepper), who needs the other more? Paul, devoid of Lennon's irony (think of the, 'It cannot get any worse' in Getting Better) becomes saccharine boring tripe: sentimentalism for middle class ninnies. Lennon, minus Paul, loses some of his consistency and a lot of his populism. He becomes somewhat self-indulgent also, but, he is always interesting - the same cannot be said for Paul. The anger and subjectivity increased post- Beatles which is where you get Plastic Ono Band. I actually think that album represents Lennon at his zenith. I have never heard a man put his heart on his sleeve like, on that album - not Dylan, not Shakey.

Can we all agree that they wrote their better songs in The Beatles?

For the most part. I still think a compilation album of Paul's best post-Beatles work would be up there with the Beatles albums.

DD I get where you're coming from, I really do, but do you honestly have no time for songs like Maybe I'm Amazed and 1985? So much more than sentimental tripe.

Maybe I'm Amazed is good.

Ebony and Ivory, Macca in a cardigan. Give me Lennon in bed ranting for ''world peace'', any day over that garbage. Silly Love Songs: that song is pop fluff of the highest order. I never liked the band, Wings, to be honest. Lennon was working with Clapton, Harrison, Ringo, Phil Spector. Wings was, Paul, Linda, Denny Laine and a bunch of matching mullets.

One of Lennon's 2 post-Beatles hits vs. a random Paul song. Fair comparison.

One of Lennon's 2 post-Beatles hits vs. a random Paul song. Fair comparison.

My favorite Paul vocals:

Oh Darling

I'm Down

Maybe I'm Amazed (Wings Over America)

Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five

Mull of Kintyre

John (off the top of my head):

Twist and Shout

All I've Got to Do

Happiness is a Warm Gun

You've Got to Hide Your Love Away

Anna (Go to Him)

Edited by bacardimayne
  • Like 1

A close friend of mine went to see Macca in Missoula last night. Damn, it sounds like it was a great show. One review I saw said it was three hours long.

Here's the setlist.

Eight Days a Week

(The Beatles song)

Save Us

All My Loving

(The Beatles song)

Listen to What the Man Said

(Wings song)

Let Me Roll It

(Wings song)

Paperback Writer

(The Beatles song)