Is Axl Our Elvis?

jimb0

In terms of what?

The only Elvis that is comparable to the current Axl Rose is the late 70's Elvis. The one who was going through the motion's, playing all the hits, being manipulated by yes-man who were only out for his money. Sound familiar? Sure, Axl can buy a lot of jewelry, buy a walking stick, have a posse, but he's still a out of shape and nostalgia act. Where as Elvis continued to release albums and song's throughout his career, Axl has released one in 20. Sure, Axl may think he's Elvis, but there's only one King of Rock N' Roll.

There really isn't much comparable to Elvis Presley and Axl Rose. In 50 years, people will still remember Elvis Presley as the charismatic and influential singer with unbelievable stage-presence and a voice that's often imitated but never duplicated. In 50 year's Axl Rose will be lumped in with all the other hair-band's from the 80's. Yeah, I know it's sad, but he had a chance to make it different if he wasn't a nutcase and played a crucial part in ruining the old band. OR, he actually gave a damn about HIS band for the last decade.

That's FAR from what Elvis was doing in the 70s. Yes, shows included a lot of hits but that's not even close to all that he was performing. He was regularly including new material every night all throughout the 70s. Another thing is that all of the studio albums that Elvis released in the 70s largely came out of only two recording sessions (Stax and The Jungle Room).

I do agree that people will still remember Elvis in 50 years and remember him well. I honestly don't have an opinion yet on how people will remember Axl. I feel it's necessary to remind everyone again that Elvis was NOT popular when he died. From about 1974 on, the general public viewed Elvis as an artist who'd given up. In the press and concert reviews it was regularly reported that he was out of shape, out of breath, uninspired and didn't care about himself, his band or his shows.

He was selling out arenas in 76-77, but he hadn't had any real hits since 1972, but was charting on the country charts in the later years. "Way Down" was a modest hit on the pop charts before he died - 30s isn't great, but it also meant pop and rock fans were buying his new music.

There was still a big demand to go see him, most of the reviews were arena shows and mentioned it being near or full capacity, and he was doing two shows a day in some of these cities, but he was sticking to cities that had smaller arenas and the country fanbase that were more likely to go see him, but he played the major cities as well. Some days seemed to go off well, and other days, the reviewers could tell he was acting erratically.

It's a strange comparison, but a lot of similarities. Both are very private people that only a select few ever got really close too. I am a huge Elvis fan, and GNR fan. Elvis definately got caught up in touring, recording and drugs in the latter half of his carreer. You could definately see the glimer in his eye dim a little. However, he kept performing and recording and was launching a new album (Moody Blue) when he died. I think he gave over 1,500 performances over the last 5 yrs of his carreer, but nothing lived up the 69 comeback special. It really seemed after that special that Elvis was back and badder than ever, not sure what happened after that, but he moved in a totally different direction. Funny, he evan had a ton of rasp in 68-70, then never used it again. Hopefully Axl will right the ship and give us something that could further enhance his legacy, we are still waiting for him to move the band ahead. Elvis was still awesome, and will always be the King!

His manager had him on a crazy touring schedule, and I just think the divorce and the tour grind got to him, and the ongoing drug abuse made him even more erratic.

The one thing I think that could be said about Axl and Elvis is that they both had big hearts and would give someone the shirt off their back for people they care about.