Is Axl Our Elvis?

jimb0

Elvis was Elvis and Axl is Axl.

Don't compare the two. Elvis was surrounded by "yes man". I don't think anyone tells Axl what to do.

Elvis had mommy issues and I doubt Axl does.

From backstage pictures I've seen of what Axl eats, I think his diet was way better than Elvis. Elvis was addicted to tons of pills, Axl has been clean for many years.

I think if Elvis would have had real family and friends who looked out for him or at least tried to help him, he might have lived longer. It was a shame that everyone turned a blind eye to his addictions, as long as he performed and made money.

Elvis was one a kind and I definitely think Axl is too.

Edited by Val22

For some reason I got caught up watching Elvis from Hawaii or some shit. And I remembered his 69 comeback performance only years before where he had returned and although a little older was just as bad ass and hip as when he left for the army. But now, I think this was in 74, only five years later he was bigger and not up to his usual standard. The way he blasted through jail house rock in hawaii was a joke, just like the way Axl's blasting through the hits.

I noticed a definite lack of passion, weight gain, and voice change in both. Although Elvis's voice change can be viewed as pleasant because it's deeper.

Both have resorted to wearing ridiculous over the top gawdy outfits, even if Axl's still rocking jeans.

Axl returned... pretty lean... although the voice was weak at first it got stronger as he carried on. The guy even sported a six pack at the second HOB New Years go around. And he was pretty damn close to it again in 2006... if you've seen the pic with his shirt open.

But after both returned, years later they just seemed to let themselves go. The weight gain, the half ass performances, the drinking...

So is Axl our Elvis?

HA i just finished a post about Elvis and his manager Col Parker. I see some disturbing similarities going on in the comparison. Some huge differences as well.

Elvis was a good boy who worshipped and idolized his mother..Axl...well he called his mom out on stage in Chicago 92. Lisa Marie is his daughter born in 68. Pricilla was his the love of his life that ultimately divorced him. Elvis was devastated.

early Elvis was amazing and a huge threat to the current status quo of 50's conservative America. Then he joined the army(drafted) and served his part. His manager then insisted that Elvis do movies and he made a long line of cheesy movies that all featured him singing in them. Some of his best remembered songs were from the soundtracks of those movies. In 68 he made a comeback that was well recieved.. and his costume for the TV special was all black leather...and he pulled it off. The excess of the 70's is akin to the 90's UYI tour where every little whim was indulged X 100.

Wildly inaccurate...Elvis wasn't that out of touch with reality or the outside world, especially not in 1970...A lot of BS.

Actually a lot of people who knew Elvis said this movie was very accurate. I disbelieved that for a while.

In terms of what?

The only Elvis that is comparable to the current Axl Rose is the late 70's Elvis. The one who was going through the motion's, playing all the hits, being manipulated by yes-man who were only out for his money. Sound familiar? Sure, Axl can buy a lot of jewelry, buy a walking stick, have a posse, but he's still a out of shape and nostalgia act. Where as Elvis continued to release albums and song's throughout his career, Axl has released one in 20. Sure, Axl may think he's Elvis, but there's only one King of Rock N' Roll.

There really isn't much comparable to Elvis Presley and Axl Rose. In 50 years, people will still remember Elvis Presley as the charismatic and influential singer with unbelievable stage-presence and a voice that's often imitated but never duplicated. In 50 year's Axl Rose will be lumped in with all the other hair-band's from the 80's. Yeah, I know it's sad, but he had a chance to make it different if he wasn't a nutcase and played a crucial part in ruining the old band. OR, he actually gave a damn about HIS band for the last decade.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

Wildly inaccurate...Elvis wasn't that out of touch with reality or the outside world, especially not in 1970...A lot of BS.

Actually a lot of people who knew Elvis said this movie was very accurate. I disbelieved that for a while.

Sort of. It sounds like the story Steve Binder (producer of the Comeback Special) told about Elvis and him going out on Sunset Blvd and walking around when they were doing the Comeback Special, and no one paid attention to Elvis.

In terms of what?

The only Elvis that is comparable to the current Axl Rose is the late 70's Elvis. The one who was going through the motion's, playing all the hits, being manipulated by yes-man who were only out for his money. Sound familiar? Sure, Axl can buy a lot of jewelry, buy a walking stick, have a posse, but he's still a out of shape and nostalgia act. Where as Elvis continued to release albums and song's throughout his career, Axl has released one in 20. Sure, Axl may think he's Elvis, but there's only one King of Rock N' Roll.

There really isn't much comparable to Elvis Presley and Axl Rose. In 50 years, people will still remember Elvis Presley as the charismatic and influential singer with unbelievable stage-presence and a voice that's often imitated but never duplicated. In 50 year's Axl Rose will be lumped in with all the other hair-band's from the 80's. Yeah, I know it's sad, but he had a chance to make it different if he wasn't a nutcase and played a crucial part in ruining the old band. OR, he actually gave a damn about HIS band for the last decade.

That's FAR from what Elvis was doing in the 70s. Yes, shows included a lot of hits but that's not even close to all that he was performing. He was regularly including new material every night all throughout the 70s. Another thing is that all of the studio albums that Elvis released in the 70s largely came out of only two recording sessions (Stax and The Jungle Room).

I do agree that people will still remember Elvis in 50 years and remember him well. I honestly don't have an opinion yet on how people will remember Axl. I feel it's necessary to remind everyone again that Elvis was NOT popular when he died. From about 1974 on, the general public viewed Elvis as an artist who'd given up. In the press and concert reviews it was regularly reported that he was out of shape, out of breath, uninspired and didn't care about himself, his band or his shows.

It's a strange comparison, but a lot of similarities. Both are very private people that only a select few ever got really close too. I am a huge Elvis fan, and GNR fan. Elvis definately got caught up in touring, recording and drugs in the latter half of his carreer. You could definately see the glimer in his eye dim a little. However, he kept performing and recording and was launching a new album (Moody Blue) when he died. I think he gave over 1,500 performances over the last 5 yrs of his carreer, but nothing lived up the 69 comeback special. It really seemed after that special that Elvis was back and badder than ever, not sure what happened after that, but he moved in a totally different direction. Funny, he evan had a ton of rasp in 68-70, then never used it again. Hopefully Axl will right the ship and give us something that could further enhance his legacy, we are still waiting for him to move the band ahead. Elvis was still awesome, and will always be the King!

Edited by yourcrazy

Elvis sang songs put together by other people. Axl is a composer and lyricist. Elvis was subject to a neverending and fanatical attention that Axl only experienced both partly and briefly.

Axl is not an icon of Elvis proportions.

Elvis sang songs put together by other people. Axl is a composer and lyricist. Elvis was subject to a neverending and fanatical attention that Axl only experienced both partly and briefly.

Axl is not an icon of Elvis proportions.

The short answer to that is "...yes, but who is?"

I mean Elvis Presley will always be one of rocks biggest icons. To say that Axl is or will be in the same category is kind of raising an argument that you can't win IMO. But I definitely think there's a lot of similarities and it's plausible to refer to Axl as "our Elvis" on some levels.

Elvis was both morbidly obese and incapable of doing justice to his reputation as an entertainer when he died aged just 42. Axl was 44 in 2006 and appearing in Vogue/tearing up Rock AM Ring.

Axl has gotten a gut from drinking and enjoying himself in the latter part of his career. Wow.