Why do people consider Riad a bad song?

Vincent Vega

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how it's a mess. If anything it's too simple and tight. There's no breathing room for Axl to sing, it's like he's singing over this cacophony which only breaks for the solo. It's in stark contrast to Sorry which is slow and lush. Riad is an arrid desert, Sorry is the dark oasis you find. But a normal album would go into IRS and would flow better more conventionally.

Considering Sorry might be my favorite song on CD, it is a pretty hard contrast. But the song, it just doesn't flow good to me. That part about no breathing room for Axl, that's how the whole song feels to me. It's almost like the music and vocals aren't quite on the same page or something. It's the only song like that for me.
Its almost like you cant hear it, but its not disorganized. I found it sounda better on a stereo. I guess they probably kisten to this stuff on 2 mil dollar state of the art studio speakers. Not my laptop internal speaker.

HA.. considering how people got thier panties in a bunch over something like One in a Millions lyrics..and given the contentious nature of how the arabs percieve themselves...He calls them Nomads and barbarians and there was no riots or burning of the American flag and Axl in effigy!

Riad and the Bedouins seems to be one of the most criticized and hated songs on CD...Without just saying "cause it sucks", can the people who dislike it elaborate on just what is bad about it? Its just a good, driving riff, not bad lyrics by Axl. Musically it sounds like The Immigrant Song meets Industrial meets GN'R.

the song sounds like an idea that never really took off. It sounds unfinished. Long before the release of CD, Axl performed the song at a Vegas show (i think this was the show Slash was refused entry to) and the song sounded raw, a bit Rolling Stones, and seemed to have potential. Even then it sounded unfinished like it was only a 3rd of a song.

Fuck all of you, it's the best song on the album!

It's severely flawed and it's still fucking awesome.

It's the only track on Chinese Democracy that kept growing on me month after month while I was getting bored of listening to the others. There's something so strangely addictive about it...

I think the reason so many dislike the song is because they either dont like Axl Rose's voice to begin with, or are afraid to admit they do. Riad is one of the most "GNR" songs on Chi Dem. Other rockers like Scraped have good points, but sound more generic than distinctly GNR. No coincidentally, it's also the song they spent the least time on, and Axl was unable to fuck it up.