Putin Reportedly Joins List Of Nobel Peace Prize Nominees

ohlovelyrita

Who would you pick?

"Pakistani schoolgirl campaigner Malala Yousafzai and a Congolese doctor who helped rape victims are among this year's Nobel Peace Prize favourites.

The winner of the most coveted of the Nobel honours will be revealed in Oslo at 11:00 local time (0900 GMT) Friday.

This year's record list of 259 nominees remains a secret, but bookmakers and pundits say Malala is a contender.

Gynaecologist Denis Mukwege of the Democratic Republic of Congo is also tipped but predictions are often wrong.

Chelsea Manning, the US soldier convicted of giving classified documents to WikiLeaks has also been listed as a potential nominee.

Youngest ever

Others include Maggie Gobran, an Egyptian computer scientist who abandoned her academic career to become a Coptic Christian nun and founded the charity Stephen's Children, and Russian former mathematics professor Svetlana Gannushinka who set up the rights group Civil Assistance.

_70414205_019446054-1.jpgGynaecologist Denis Mukwege

If she wins, Malala, 16, will claim a gold medal, 8m Swedish kronor ($1.25m; £780,000) and the title of youngest-ever Nobel laureate.

The young activist emerged as a contender after continuing her work to promote better rights for girls despite being shot in the head by the Taliban in Pakistan.

Malala rose to prominence in 2009 after writing a blog anonymously for the BBC Urdu service about her life under Taliban rule in Pakistan's Swat Valley.

On Thursday she was named as the winner of the EU's Sakharov prize, a 50,000-euro ($65,000) award considered Europe's top human rights accolade.

Bookmakers have placed Malala as 3/5 favourite on a list which includes long shots such as U2 singer Bono, Russian President Vladimir Putin and WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.

Assassination attempts

Mr Mukwege, who has been listed as a possible Nobel laureate in the past, set up a hospital and foundation to help tens of thousands of women raped by militants and soldiers in the Democratic Republic of Congo."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24485566

Edited by ohlovelyrita

Didn't even read the list, and yet I am certain they're all more deserving than Obama.

Agreed. A president who is involved in any way with wars and has been responsible in some way, shape or form for the death of civilians in war zones should never win a prize of that stature. Or any prize whatsoever.

• Like 1

Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons won it, no surprises

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/11/nobel-peace-prize_n_4083059.html

well, at least Putin didn't get it

Good choice. I wonder if they'll reveal the full list.

I would like to see Malala get more recognition. Watch around 4:55 if you want to see the most mature and loving statement made

by any person I can remember. Looks like Stewart got choked up, too: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-october-8-2013/malala-yousafzai

• 4 months later...

Putin? How in the world?

March 05, 2014 1:01 PM

Russian President Vladimir Putin is among the 278 nominees for a 2014 Nobel Peace Prize,according to Peace Research Institute Oslo, an institution that closely tracks the Nobel committee's work.

Putin, who of course is now at the center of one of the world's most dangerous situations —the crisis in Ukraine — has been "nominated by the International Academy of Spiritual Unity and Cooperation Among the Nations of the World and backed by Russian MP Iosif Kobzon, for his averting of an air strike on Syria after the chemical gas attacks in August 2013," PRIO reports.

that the so-called NSA leaker, Edward Snowden, is among the nominees.According to the Nobel committee, the 278 nominations for this year's prize "is the highest number of candidates ever. The previous record was 259 from 2013."

We've reported before

Among others who PRIO says it has confirmed are on the list:

— Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani teen who was shot by the Taliban because of her outspoken support for the education of girls. She was a nominee last year as well.

— Chelsea Manning, formerly known as Bradley Manning. The Army private is now serving a 35-year prison sentence for leaking the largest amount of classified information in U.S. history.

Yousafzai and Snowden have made it onto PRIO Director Kristian Berg Harpviken's shortlist of likely Peace Prize honorees. The other three people he puts on that list:

— Pope Francis. Harpviken points out that in the year since he became pope, Francis "has brought attention to the fate of the poor, and the need for a new approach to development and economic redistribution. ... Pope Francis has also instilled new hope for reform of the Catholic Church. He has himself adopted a more modest appearance than his predecessors, uses social media extensively, and signals accessibility for the common man and woman."

Novaya Gazeta, a newspaper that PRIO notes was "set up in 1993 at the initiative of Mikhail Gorbachev, who devoted part of his Nobel Peace Prize money for the purpose. The newspaper has since experienced the killings of several of its journalists. Its website has been exposed to numerous cyberattacks."

— Denis Mukwege, a doctor who for more than a decade "has given medical treatment to survivors of sexual violence. In 1999 he founded the Panzi Hospital in Bakuvu, DR Congo."

The Nobel Peace Prize laureate will be announced in October.

Putin? How in the world?

March 05, 2014 1:01 PM

Russian President Vladimir Putin is among the 278 nominees for a 2014 Nobel Peace Prize,according to Peace Research Institute Oslo, an institution that closely tracks the Nobel committee's work.

Putin, who of course is now at the center of one of the world's most dangerous situations —the crisis in Ukraine — has been "nominated by the International Academy of Spiritual Unity and Cooperation Among the Nations of the World and backed by Russian MP Iosif Kobzon, for his averting of an air strike on Syria after the chemical gas attacks in August 2013," PRIO reports.

that the so-called NSA leaker, Edward Snowden, is among the nominees.According to the Nobel committee, the 278 nominations for this year's prize "is the highest number of candidates ever. The previous record was 259 from 2013."

We've reported before

Among others who PRIO says it has confirmed are on the list:

— Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani teen who was shot by the Taliban because of her outspoken support for the education of girls. She was a nominee last year as well.

— Chelsea Manning, formerly known as Bradley Manning. The Army private is now serving a 35-year prison sentence for leaking the largest amount of classified information in U.S. history.

Yousafzai and Snowden have made it onto PRIO Director Kristian Berg Harpviken's shortlist of likely Peace Prize honorees. The other three people he puts on that list:

— Pope Francis. Harpviken points out that in the year since he became pope, Francis "has brought attention to the fate of the poor, and the need for a new approach to development and economic redistribution. ... Pope Francis has also instilled new hope for reform of the Catholic Church. He has himself adopted a more modest appearance than his predecessors, uses social media extensively, and signals accessibility for the common man and woman."

Novaya Gazeta, a newspaper that PRIO notes was "set up in 1993 at the initiative of Mikhail Gorbachev, who devoted part of his Nobel Peace Prize money for the purpose. The newspaper has since experienced the killings of several of its journalists. Its website has been exposed to numerous cyberattacks."

— Denis Mukwege, a doctor who for more than a decade "has given medical treatment to survivors of sexual violence. In 1999 he founded the Panzi Hospital in Bakuvu, DR Congo."

The Nobel Peace Prize laureate will be announced in October.

The font is blue ffs :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Malala is tragic as much for what she went through in Afghanistan as how she is being used by the media over here. She's as good as the political mileage in her and when there's none of that left it'll be the last you see of her.

• Like 1

Rita - When you are copy/pasting articles use the "Paste as Plain Text" button on the toolbar along the top. Nobody in their right mind is going to attempt to read something written in blue font against a grey background.

Will do. Thanks. I was trying to match the blue fonts were in the cut and paste (if you click link, they're half blue).

I don't see that button you referenced unless it is the top left icon.

Rita - When you are copy/pasting articles use the "Paste as Plain Text" button on the toolbar along the top. Nobody in their right mind is going to attempt to read something written in blue font against a grey background.

Will do. Thanks. I was trying to match the blue fonts were in the cut and paste (if you click link, they're half blue).

I don't see that button you referenced unless it is the top left icon.

TeRBlAB.png

That, or stop copy/pasting articles on here every day.

Guest Len B'stard

Thank you for that NF, i never knew that :)

' Pakistani schoolgirl campaigner Malala Yousafzai and a Congolese doctor who helped rape victims '

For some reason, the first time I read that sentence I understood something it isn't supposed to mean :lol:

Yeah "helped victims of rape" would be a much safer sentence structure!

Edited by PappyTron

"Vladimir Putin has been nominated for a Nobel peace prize. Nice try Norway, he's still going to invade."

- Stephen Colbert.

:lol:

' Pakistani schoolgirl campaigner Malala Yousafzai and a Congolese doctor who helped rape victims '

For some reason, the first time I read that sentence I understood something it isn't supposed to mean :lol:

Yeah "helped victims of rape" would be a much safer sentence structure!

:P Oh my! I look at it a few times and couldn't find the mistake. :blink: Was considering the lesbians doing the congo (dance)?