Rocky Horror Picture Show

luciusfunk

I haven't seen it in a few years, but I still know it by heart. I've been listening to the soundtrack from 2011 (The Rocky Horror Picture Show Complete Soundtrack: Absolute Treasures (Including Planet Schmanet Janet, Once In A While, The Sword Of Damocles, And Planet Hot Dog!)) and The Rocky Horror Punk Rock Show at work the last few nights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtkdo7bOmJc

Dazey, Len, don't even start.

Edited by luciusfunk

Rocky Horror is just one of those things you either love or hate, and its also one of those things that just sticks with you forever.

I will never forget when my dad taped it for me on TV. It was on AMC (back when they only had one commercial per movie!) and I was about 12 years old. It is so NOT a movie for a 12 year old, and obviously I see that now, but my dad taped it for me solely because of the music. We like the same sort of classic rock and 70s music, so he figured I'd love it. And yeah, at the time I loved the music and never really understood or paid attention to the rest of the movie. What's funny about that is my dad is very anti-Broadway even though thats essentially what these songs (albeit more rocked up).

But yeah, the movie is phenomenal and I remember turning on everyone to it when I was in high school. And back then that was SO weird. I'd have known the film for years by this point, and I would show it to people and they would be like "why are you showing us a movie about transvestites?!" Once they come around to it, they understand, but that initial awkwardness is always there at the beginning. I remember going to see it with those friends I showed in the movie theater, and out of nowhere I just got sick the night we were going. About an hour before the film my stomach really started hurting out of nowhere. And 15 minutes before the movie, in the theater lobby, I threw up. I was probably 16 at the time, and had to be taken home while all my other friends who I turned on to the movie got to go. Have still never seen it in theaters, mainly just because I've never gotten around to it since then, but thats always a pretty funny story related to the film thats stuck out in my mind.

Everything about the film is perfect, but then again I have very specific and endearing memories of the film. Tim Curry is truly legendary and as much as I love him, IMO never did anything better than this. He will just blow you away. But everyone: Sarandon (hot as ever), Bostwick, O'Brien, Meat Loaf, everyone in the film is amazing. Its one of those movies that is so awkwardly perfect that you could never remake it. The little mistakes and the way every line is said is just seared into the memories of everyone that has seen it. I used to watch it maybe once a year, although I don't think I have in about 2 or 3 years by this point. I guarantee though I could still tell you every line if I started watching it again. Maybe I'll throw it on around Halloween. I probably hear the album about once a year. Such an odd odd thing that is a "childhood" memory of mine but it absolutely is and I will get smiles whenever I hear the music or watch the film. So many memorable lines:

"I see you shiver with antici... pation."

"You're wet." "It's raining."

And having the memory of how every single person in the film moves. Its a very special film in that way you can catalog all that and pull it up at any second. One of, if not the only, film like that for me that I've seen so many times that I know every single movement by heart. Favorite songs for me are Science Fiction, Frankenstein Place, Time Warp, Sweet Transvestite, Hot Patootie, Eddie, Rose Tint My World, I'm Going Home. Also, it should be said, the first 35 minutes (thru Sweet Transvestite) is legendary. After that, the film falls apart, at least in story. Its still amazing, but I could watch that first 35 minutes at any time in my life. The rest of the film? I really need to be in the mood to stick through the whole thing. The combination of the songs and the perfect dialogue of the first 1/4 of the film is just astounding.

Anyway, those are ALL my thoughts about Rocky Horror. A childhood classic of mine, so when its brought up I usually just tend to think of so much stuff that I have a hard time containing it. A simple "amazing film" probably would have done :lol: , but its special so I took the time.

PS: I have seen Shock Treatment and it is such a far cry from Rocky Horror it really isn't worth it. The songs are pale comparisons, the acting is truly horrible (at least compared to the Rocky cast) and the story is even stupider than Rocky. I think I saw it once or twice years ago, I downloaded a few of the songs from the movie, and thats all that was needed. Certainly an example of trying to capitalize on a surprise success and showing just to never do that. You never know what is going to hit with an audience, and when you try it usually just turns out to be a trainwreck. Half of the reason Rocky Horror is so amazing is because you'd NEVER expect a film and soundtrack like that to have so much meaning in your life and it just does for one bizarre reason or another.

On Shock Treatment: I'd known of it for a few years after seeing Rocky Horror (saw it at about 16) and decided to pick up the double DVD that included the 25th anniversary of Rocky Horror.

The movie is decent if you don't compare it to RHPS, but it's still not that great. I think there were three good songs.

I first picked up RHPS at Walmart for $5 one Halloween because I'd heard my sister talk about it and I loved Tim Curry from Home Alone 2.

Honorable mentions for Tim Curry would be Clue and Spamalot though.

Yeah, I think the problem is I can NEVER watch Shock Treatment without thinking of Rocky. I'm sure its not terrible, but its trying to get lightning in a bottle twice and you know its not gonna work. My favorites from that movie are the title song (which is admittedly really great), Bitchin In The Kitchen, Little Black Dress. To a lesser extent, I like the Overture, Denton USA, Farley's Song and Lullaby. The rest seemed like total filler to me.

And yes, Tim Curry has done other great stuff, particularly what you mentioned. Hell, I know him as a voice on the Wild Thornberrys cartoon show! So weird that he has said after Rocky Horror he didn't want to get typecast and totally changed his look afterwards to avoid it. He's said thats the reason he got fatter in latter years, and I believe during the film's initial success he was embarrassed by it. I'm glad he's come around now because he truly is phenomenal. IMO its one of the all time great performances, or definitely up there with some of the most memorable and iconic. Weird though to think he destroyed the great body he had all because of that film.

The original DVD had the audience participation and the Blu Ray didn't, the only point of getting the movie on home video is so you can hear what they're saying while everyone's yelling during parts of the movie. It makes a difference which club is involved in taking part in it, each city's different and even what they say varies. If you travel around a bit, you'll see what I mean by each city doing it their own way. There is an audience participation book out there..

I think it was cool that they did a Broadway revival (I think they should revive it every 15 years for a limited engagement), road show, and there's still theaters doing midnight shows, there's no point to sequels.

In case you were curious about Baz as Riff Raff:

http://www.rockymusic.org/showvideo/009a224c47fe9b2102564200736352e2.php

I went several times, years ago, to the midnight showings in the Village in NYC. I never got dressed up but most people did. Toilet paper in hand. :lol: Really was an experience and a lot of fun. I'm not sure if they still do it or not. I'd recommend anyone who is a fan of the movie to try and do that if at all possible.

I went several times, years ago, to the midnight showings in the Village in NYC. I never got dressed up but most people did. Toilet paper in hand. :lol: Really was an experience and a lot of fun. I'm not sure if they still do it or not. I'd recommend anyone who is a fan of the movie to try and do that if at all possible.

They still do it! Fri and Sat at midnight, at the Chelsea Clearview (technically now Bow Tie, but that's the stupidest possible name for a theatre chain so I refuse to recognise it). I went a couple of years ago, the crew doing it were great.

I've thought about going, but I just never have. My wife got burned out on Rocky Horror years ago, so I know she won't go with me.

Yeah, but if you're telling her you want to go see it, she might change her mind, and a lot of time's gone by.

I think the home video's no comparison to it.

• Like 1

Did you ever run into Madison at it?

• Like 1

Did you ever run into Madison at it?

Nah, Madison used to go to the showings in Queens.

Guest Len B'stard

I haven't seen it in a few years, but I still know it by heart. I've been listening to the soundtrack from 2011 (The Rocky Horror Picture Show Complete Soundtrack: Absolute Treasures (Including Planet Schmanet Janet, Once In A While, The Sword Of Damocles, And Planet Hot Dog!)) and The Rocky Horror Punk Rock Show at work the last few nights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtkdo7bOmJc

Dazey, Len, don't even start.

Start what, i don't even know what this fuckin' shit is about :shrugs: