The Counsellor

Black Sabbath

• 2 weeks later...

I've been keeping tabs on this on Wikipedia since late 2010, cannot wait to see this movie. Haven't had the time this weekend, but I'll certainly see it this week. Great director, writer, cast, and plot.

EDIT: Just looked up some reviews...... not so good, I'll still see it though.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

It failed hard this week. Ridley's already planning Prometheus 2.

That's been in the works for some time now I think. Thought Prometheus was good, not great. I'll see the second one, but I'm not holding my breath for anything amazing.

It's my favorite in the Alien universe after the original.

The problem with the film is simply the collaboration. Ridley is obviously great, and Cormac McCarthy is great. They just don't mesh well together and to be honest I wouldn't really expect them to. That pairing makes for a very awkward film with a script thats already awkward or not.

Ridley hasn't made a good movie though in a long time. His last good thing was Kingdom of Heaven, which was beyond excellent, and that was nearly 10 years ago. Since then, American Gangster was underwhelming, Body Of Lies was pretty forgettable, and Robin Hood failed horribly to live up to expectations. Prometheus seems to a toss up, as many loved it and many thought it was pretty bland. I am in the latter category and went in with pretty low expectations already. I'm not the biggest Alien fan, so I guess that has something to do with it, but I thought it was another pretty forgettable film, especially given the huge budget and star power. Fassbender was great, but everything else didn't really live up to expectations. I don't quite see him improving with a sequel.

• Like 1

The problem with the film is simply the collaboration. Ridley is obviously great, and Cormac McCarthy is great. They just don't mesh well together and to be honest I wouldn't really expect them to. That pairing makes for a very awkward film with a script thats already awkward or not.

Ridley hasn't made a good movie though in a long time. His last good thing was Kingdom of Heaven, which was beyond excellent, and that was nearly 10 years ago. Since then, American Gangster was underwhelming, Body Of Lies was pretty forgettable, and Robin Hood failed horribly to live up to expectations. Prometheus seems to a toss up, as many loved it and many thought it was pretty bland. I am in the latter category and went in with pretty low expectations already. I'm not the biggest Alien fan, so I guess that has something to do with it, but I thought it was another pretty forgettable film, especially given the huge budget and star power. Fassbender was great, but everything else didn't really live up to expectations. I don't quite see him improving with a sequel.

God dammit, for some reason you and I have almost the exact same views on everything.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

I don't know how to feel about this movie. The whole time you're waiting for something to happen, but it never does. It's like Ridley tried to direct a dialogue-driven Tarantino style film that just doesn't really take off. The whole while, you're still trying to figure out what is really going on.

Saw it today - the Tarantino bit matched my thoughts exactly. The other guy I saw it with and I both came out saying, Tarantino could've made this a great movie. It was far too predictable for my tastes. And I felt like the last half hour was only there for the sake of trying to provide an ending. You get like 3 or 4 characters thrown at you who don't really fit into the story at all or even get introduced, like Dean Norris and that guy Fassbender was talking on the phone with.

At least the acting was pretty good. With such an all star cast, it could've and probably should've been so much more than it was.