hey Marc, a couple of Slash/Duff/Gilby questions thanks!

Hey Marc,

I 've got a couple of questions...

1) I heard from an ex member, meaning first hand, following back in 2006 - I was called in this last month to join the band. the band was supposed to be Axl, Slash, Matt and Gilby, Duff pulled out. They never came back with the calls and Axl started the tour with the current band.

Do you know anything about that!?!?

2) Why do you think Slash opted for Dave in VR and not Gilby? Would you be surprised to see Gilby join VR in the near future or colaborating with Slash?

3) Slash was against Rod Jackson for Rod being a junkie. However, I think Rod is an amazing singer and I was surprised to see how well he sings a new song on youtube the other day now that he got his act together.

What is your stand on Rod's qualities and do you think Slash would reconsider him in VR or other project considering they are both clean now?

4) Did Duff ever mention why we didn't get another Neurotic outsiders album thus far or if there might be a chance we see one?

5) Also, is it true that Duff/Axl went down to drain after HOF?

Thanks for answering these questions, cheers!

Hey Marc,

I 've got a couple of questions...

1) I heard from an ex member, meaning first hand, following back in 2006 - I was called in this last month to join the band. the band was supposed to be Axl, Slash, Matt and Gilby, Duff pulled out. They never came back with the calls and Axl started the tour with the current band.

Do you know anything about that!?!?

2) Why do you think Slash opted for Dave in VR and not Gilby? Would you be surprised to see Gilby join VR in the near future or colaborating with Slash?

3) Slash was against Rod Jackson for Rod being a junkie. However, I think Rod is an amazing singer and I was surprised to see how well he sings a new song on youtube the other day now that he got his act together.

What is your stand on Rod's qualities and do you think Slash would reconsider him in VR or other project considering they are both clean now?

4) Did Duff ever mention why we didn't get another Neurotic outsiders album thus far or if there might be a chance we see one?

5) Also, is it true that Duff/Axl went down to drain after HOF?

Thanks for answering these questions, cheers!

I don't think Axl was willing to do anything with Slash in 2006 maybe Merk wanted to do it because there would be more money for everyone. Anyways I never heard anything about it.

I don't know why Gilby was not involved in VR. Next time I talk to Slash I will ask him.

I don't think They would use Rod for VR. I think the only way it would work isd will a well known front man.

I don't know that much about Duff's projects so I don't know about Neurotic outsiders. I know Duff does a lot of different things with different people.

I also don't know how Axl and Duff are. I would think that there is no real problem between them. I also don't think they are in touch with each other but I'm sure if they bumped into each other, I'm sure they would talk and hang out for a bit.

Hey Marc,

thanks for answering these questions.

I just remembered one or two more I am curious about.

1) Axl and Kurt Cobain had that ongoing feud going on eversince Nirvana turned them down during Nevermind tour.

Did Axl ever talk about his feelings about Kurt and his passing?

Was he more ahainst Kurt or like Kurt said, anti Courtney?

2) Regardless what band Slash is in, he seems to avoid UYI and 5 O'clock material, why is that?

I understand he won't play Estranged or November rain, but there are so many great tunes Myles could handle, Perfect crime, Don't damn me, Breakdown, Pretty tied up, Double Talkin Jive...

Lower, Be the ball, Good to be alive, Neither can I....

Could pop that to him by any chance :)

Edited by shotsfired cro

I don't really think Axl had a big problem with Kurt maybe with Courtney but in the end Axl knew that his passing was a waste of a life.

As far as Estranged goes, I didn't think either one of them would have ever tried to do it without the other one involved. I think Axl really didn't want to do it but the rest of the band pushed for it.

I think Slash picks the GNR songs that he feels he had a lot to do with and that he still enjoys playing. Also ones that the crowd would really want. As far as Snakepit songs, it's hard to say why he picks the ones he picks. Maybe Myles might have a say in it too?

Edited by recklessroad

I'm have no ties with the band so I feel kinda weird posting my theory, but I think there are two reasons why both Axl and Slash don't play many UYI tunes anymore.

1.Most of the UYI song didn't age well. UYI may be a great set, but it's nothing like the timeless classic AFD was. People just don't remember most of the UYI songs the same way they do with AFD. They don't play on the radio much anymore. This most likely has to do with the fact that the band wrote those songs apart rather than together like they did with AFD.

2.The making of UYI represents a dark time for the band. Think about it. Steven was fired, Izzy was on the verge of quitting, and the band was not writing songs together anymore. Axl even says that the only reason it was a double set was because of the fact that everyone had been writing songs individually by that point and that all of the positive press at the time was just a smoke screen.

But those are just my theories. I'm not sure if this is how the people involved with this stuff really view it.

As far as Snakepit songs, it's hard to say why he picks the ones he picks. Maybe Myles might have a say in it too?

I too am curious how Snakepit material gets picked. I basically love most of those two records, but I am so confused when things get chosen from them. Like why of everything else does Just Like Anything get played?! I don't not like it, its just such a weird choice. And why Serial Killer after three years? Guess maybe it has to do with Myles' voice. I don't think he'd work on What Do You Want From Me, etc. But its so weird what gets chosen. I know they played Dime Store Rock once and then like never again. What the fuck is up with that lol? Guess you don't really know either. It would be one of the first questions I would ask Slash if I were to ever meet up. I'd love to hear stuff like Ain't Life Grand, Landslide, Life's Sweet Drug, Take It Away, Neither Can I. I just question why he picks stuff like Shine and Speed Parade and Just Like Anything over those.

I too am curious how Snakepit material gets picked. I basically love most of those two records, but I am so confused when things get chosen from them. Like why of everything else does Just Like Anything get played?! I don't not like it, its just such a weird choice. And why Serial Killer after three years? Guess maybe it has to do with Myles' voice. I don't think he'd work on What Do You Want From Me, etc. But its so weird what gets chosen. I know they played Dime Store Rock once and then like never again. What the fuck is up with that lol? Guess you don't really know either. It would be one of the first questions I would ask Slash if I were to ever meet up. I'd love to hear stuff like Ain't Life Grand, Landslide, Life's Sweet Drug, Take It Away, Neither Can I. I just question why he picks stuff like Shine and Speed Parade and Just Like Anything over those.

As my signature will confirm, I've seen Slash something like 8 times. I think I've heard Just Like Anything 5 times, Mean Bone 5 times, and Speed Parade 3-4 times. Serial Killer 0, Been There Lately 0, and Beggars & Hangers On 3 times. That should be reversed. And yeah, whats up with Dime Store Rock being played once in 2010 and then never again? You hit the nail on the head with what should be played, ALG, Landslide, LSD, TIA, etc. I'd have to add Rusted Heroes, Monkey Chow, and The Truth to that list, though they might be too obscure to be played. Marc, next time you see Slash, tell him the fans (well two of us :P ) want more Snakepit if you could.

Actually, I have to disagree, because I think the UYI records really did age well. I still love the way they sound. They play KOHD a lot on the radio here, same with LALD and November Rain.

Ok I'll give that one to you. I've heard KOHD and Nov. Rain a couple of times on the radio as well

I'm have no ties with the band so I feel kinda weird posting my theory, but I think there are two reasons why both Axl and Slash don't play many UYI tunes anymore.

1.Most of the UYI song didn't age well. UYI may be a great set, but it's nothing like the timeless classic AFD was. People just don't remember most of the UYI songs the same way they do with AFD. They don't play on the radio much anymore. This most likely has to do with the fact that the band wrote those songs apart rather than together like they did with AFD.

2.The making of UYI represents a dark time for the band. Think about it. Steven was fired, Izzy was on the verge of quitting, and the band was not writing songs together anymore. Axl even says that the only reason it was a double set was because of the fact that everyone had been writing songs individually by that point and that all of the positive press at the time was just a smoke screen.

But those are just my theories. I'm not sure if this is how the people involved with this stuff really view it.

I agree on the second one, but I absolutely can't agree on the first one.

It is a matter of taste I guess, but for me UYI's will always be a masterpiece.

You could be mine, Don't cry, NR, Estranged, I see/hear those ones played more than AFD singles.

The reason the rest doesn't get played is very clear, Dead horse, Garden of Eden, Garden (the rest of the singles), is not as radio friendly as AFD singles (SCOM, WTTJ, PC).

imagine if they played non singles off the UYI's Right next door, DTTJ, Shotgun blues, Get in the ring, Coma...

absolutely non radio friendly 2013.

hell Foo Fighters, Slash, VR or Smashing Pumpkins are too hard for radio 2013.

Guys, I think you're missing my point. I love the hit UYI tunes like live and let, both don't cry's. estranged, nov. rain, knocking, yesterdays, you could and so on. I also love a lot of the less-famous filler tunes as well.

I'm just saying that as a whole, UYI doesn't seem to have held together as well as AFD has in the eyes of the general public and I think the reason is because the filler songs on AFD are a lot stronger (most likely because the band wrote those together as a band). Another point that I actually only considered now is that it might be easier for most people to relate to a single-disc record about street life than a double opus about all different kinds of things (I, for one, enjoy UYI for this reason. I'm just speaking from the perspective of people in general).

Guys, I think you're missing my point. I love the hit UYI tunes like live and let, both don't cry's. estranged, nov. rain, knocking, yesterdays, you could and so on. I also love a lot of the less-famous filler tunes as well.

I'm just saying that as a whole, UYI doesn't seem to have held together as well as AFD has in the eyes of the general public and I think the reason is because the filler songs on AFD are a lot stronger (most likely because the band wrote those together as a band). Another point that I actually only considered now is that it might be easier for most people to relate to a single-disc record about street life than a double opus about all different kinds of things (I, for one, enjoy UYI for this reason. I'm just speaking from the perspective of people in general).

You sort of got it at the end. Its basic. People don't connect with UYI as much because its a double record. Its mostly as simple as that. As good as it is (and I love nearly every song on it), its never going to be as tight as a single record. It will always have been a bit too much for people to take in. You are right that it also wasn't helped that it contained material that was kind of all over the place. Appetite has a singular sound throughout that people loved. And in addition to it being a single album, it also had GNR's best songs like Jungle, Paradise, Nightrain. All of those together make it a more memorable album.

I'm not surprised at all Slash doesn't play the Illusions. I would love it if he did, but he plays the hits people know and want to hear and the stuff he absolutely loves. The stuff he absolutely loves is Appetite. Stuff on the Illusions is a bit too complicated and requires a lot of practice, and a lot of those songs are also monsters to sing. I love Myles, but I don't think he can sing stuff like Dead Horse, Right Next Door To Hell, Breakdown, etc. The thing with those albums is the songs are either very Axl centric so its hard for him not to sing those, or they were huge hits like Don't Cry and November Rain that are also kind of more synonymous with Axl over Slash. Or you have covers or songs that are specifically Izzy's or specifically Duffs. So when you take all of those out, you aren't left with much. As much as he likes playing GNR songs, he doesn't need to and they are solo shows and he prefers to highlight that material (which is luckily really great). So its no question he'd rather play Appetite material over Bad Obsession IMO.

• Like 1

You sort of got it at the end. Its basic. People don't connect with UYI as much because its a double record. Its mostly as simple as that. As good as it is (and I love nearly every song on it), its never going to be as tight as a single record. It will always have been a bit too much for people to take in. You are right that it also wasn't helped that it contained material that was kind of all over the place. Appetite has a singular sound throughout that people loved. And in addition to it being a single album, it also had GNR's best songs like Jungle, Paradise, Nightrain. All of those together make it a more memorable album.

I'm not surprised at all Slash doesn't play the Illusions. I would love it if he did, but he plays the hits people know and want to hear and the stuff he absolutely loves. The stuff he absolutely loves is Appetite. Stuff on the Illusions is a bit too complicated and requires a lot of practice, and a lot of those songs are also monsters to sing. I love Myles, but I don't think he can sing stuff like Dead Horse, Right Next Door To Hell, Breakdown, etc. The thing with those albums is the songs are either very Axl centric so its hard for him not to sing those, or they were huge hits like Don't Cry and November Rain that are also kind of more synonymous with Axl over Slash. Or you have covers or songs that are specifically Izzy's or specifically Duffs. So when you take all of those out, you aren't left with much. As much as he likes playing GNR songs, he doesn't need to and they are solo shows and he prefers to highlight that material (which is luckily really great). So its no question he'd rather play Appetite material over Bad Obsession IMO.

Yup this is the right answer, I just had trouble piecing it all together in the right words, but this is exactly what I had meant to say

Edited by rocknroll41

hey Marc,

was kicking out Gilby simply an instrument of pushing out Slash?

if Axl really intended to work on with Slash, why did he insist the write him over the band name?

Snakepit 1 question....How come when creating Snakepit 2 Slash didn't reactivate Snakepit 1??

how satisfied was he in the end with Eric, did he preffer Eric or Rod over all?

tnx

Slash liked working with Gilby and also liked Giblys image. I think it was just time for a break so they could just do what they want to do and if when they were done and there was still a spark between them, they could start to work together again. The problem is that old GNR was already gone so the playing field was not the same. It was Axl's band and I don't think Slash felt that they could make music they way they used to.

The guys in Snakepit 1 moved on so all snakepit 2 was is a different project but still called the same name. Just like the new GNR is a different project but still called the same name.

I've always thought Coma would be a great 1st song of an encore - and personally I think nyles would knock the last 2+ min outro out of the park - cause he can sure hit the long note in paradise city - that and I heard it referred to as slash's baby during UYI era interviews with the band

Coma is hard as hell to sing period. To do it live is ridiculously hard. Some sections would have to have someone else picking up a few verses. And there's no running around while trying to sing this song. So much breathing and breath control is required. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the outro, or from the "suspended deep in a sea of black" point on, if the vocals were recorded in a near verse by verse sections.

marc, who do you think Slash valued more, Eric or Rod?

did axl really think more of post Matt drummers??

I always thought Matt contributed a lot to wht UYI were - masterpiece.

I think Axl often has difficulty giving any accolades to the old line ups, even though quoted from him at the time praise them. It makes it obvious it's just sour grapes on Axl's part.

I don't know who Slash valued more. As far as Post Matt drummers, I'm pretty sure that Axl was happy with all of them.

Speaking of drummers. According to Duff and Slash books (mostly Slash) It seems Steven was the only one who had what it takes to confront Axl. And because of that their relationship never went smoothy from the begining. Was that the case?

I don't know who Slash valued more. As far as Post Matt drummers, I'm pretty sure that Axl was happy with all of them.

Speaking of drummers. According to Duff and Slash books (mostly Slash) It seems Steven was the only one who had what it takes to confront Axl. And because of that their relationship never went smoothy from the begining. Was that the case?

as far as confronting Axl goes, yes Steve did, but so did Matt, so basically drummers in general.

remember Mannheim accident when aizzy decided to leave the band...

as far as confronting Axl goes, yes Steve did, but so did Matt, so basically drummers in general.

I think Izzy was fed up with many things (Axl being late, Slash and Duff boozing and snortin, St. Louis riot, expensive videos) Mannhein was probably the last straw. Besides I don´t think Izzy could handle the fact the band was too big. True about Matt, but for Axl he was just an aditional musician as well Gilby was.

I think Izzy was fed up with many things (Axl being late, Slash and Duff boozing and snortin, St. Louis riot, expensive videos) Mannhein was probably the last straw. Besides I don´t think Izzy could handle the fact the band was too big. True about Matt, but for Axl he was just an aditional musician as well Gilby was.

not so sure. axl spoke pretty fondly of Matt 92, 93...