the classic rock in CD

wasted

Most people focus on the nu metal sounds or the over production. But many of the songs have very classic rock base.

Chi dem - Boston song meets Custard Pie

Shacklers - Lucy in thevSky with Diamonds

Better - sounds very Freebird

SOD - Elton John

ITW - Zeppelin All of my Love Dyer Maker meets Miss You

TWAT - You cant always Gimme Shelter

Catcher - Hey Jude

Scraped - Smoke on the Water

Sorry - Poles Apart Pink Floyd

Riad - Immigrant song

IRS -Zepp

Madagascar - Zepp

TIL - Queen

Most people focus on the nu metal sounds or the over production. But many of the songs have very classic rock base.

Chi dem - Boston song meets Custard Pie

Shacklers - Lucy in thevSky with Diamonds

Better - sounds very Freebird

SOD - Elton John

ITW - Zeppelin All of my Love Dyer Maker meets Miss You

TWAT - You cant always Gimme Shelter

Catcher - Hey Jude

Scraped - Smoke on the Water

Sorry - Poles Apart Pink Floyd

Riad - Immigrant song

IRS -Zepp

Madagascar - Zepp

TIL - Queen

Um.... Lucy in the sky and Shacklers? Boston song and CD? Better and Freebird?

I can't tell if you're serious or if this is some kind of joke.

I understand what you're trying to do. But I do not understand your process in hearing these influences in these songs. 1987-1994 GNR? Sure, any time I'm listening I'll note which licks are Joe Perry, Jimmy Page, Rory Gallagher, Bo Diddley, and which arrangements are reminiscent of 70's standards (not many). But CD's connection to 70's rock is dubious at best.

EDIT: Now that I'm listening to Prostitute, I think I can hear a combination of Nights in White Satin, Rock N' Roll All Nite, Runnin' With the Devil, and Anthem in it. :max:

Edited by OmarBradley

I am not sure a person could come up with 2 songs more unlike one another than Shackler's Revenge and Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.

Listen to the structure of both songs. The big high flying chorus. Of course its filter through Zombie Korn.

The actual idea here is interesting. There is definitely a Zep element to Riad, and an Elton John vibe in The Blues. Sorry definitely has some Sabbath-Floyd influence.

Not interesting, just right.

Prostitute is harden to pin. Its very drum oriented, piano. I always think of unfinished syphony and Verve.

I understand what you're trying to do. But I do not understand your process in hearing these influences in these songs. 1987-1994 GNR? Sure, any time I'm listening I'll note which licks are Joe Perry, Jimmy Page, Rory Gallagher, Bo Diddley, and which arrangements are reminiscent of 70's standards (not many). But CD's connection to 70's rock is dubious at best.

EDIT: Now that I'm listening to Prostitute, I think I can hear a combination of Nights in White Satin, Rock N' Roll All Nite, Runnin' With the Devil, and Anthem in it. :max:

not really because nu metal is just sabbath meets funkadelic.

The riff in Chi dem is Teen Spirt which is More than a feeling. But theres always other things obscuring things. Which is why its good.

But also the inspiration is more Zepp than Aerosmith or Stones. I see more Beatles, Lennon, Zepp, Waters, with some Jagger. Elton Skynard still there.

You can lift the drums off latter day Zepp for ITW and Madagascar. The dynamics of songs leans heavily on Gimme Shelter for TWAT.

are you on acids?

I was born on acid.

I guess I see, this is not so much as direct influence as it is similar chord progressions/scales/sound effects. As you correctly noted, color/timbre changes the sound of the riffs on CD even though the progressions, intervals, melodies, or effects may be the same as some 70's songs. I think that's what you're saying?

I guess I see, this is not so much as direct influence as it is similar chord progressions/scales/sound effects. As you correctly noted, color/timbre changes the sound of the riffs on CD even though the progressions, intervals, melodies, or effects may be the same as some 70's songs. I think that's what you're saying?

Didn't say it better myself.

Once you break on through to the other side it's very obvious. I got it more quickly on Street of Dreams, TWAT, Catcher, TIL, Riad, IRS. I always saw it in Chi dem/More than a Feeling. Axl's "Shackler in the Rye with Diamonds" made me see it. It took me a while to see Better as SCOM meets NIN.

Scraped took a while but it's kind of Crazy Train meets Smoke On the Water.

ITW and Madagascar are the latter day Zepp songs.

Prostitute has me beat, it's like Axl is not compromising to classic rock, saying if I don't play the game this is where I'm going, some say Queen, I hear Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve (maybe classic rock?) meets Unfinished Symphony by Massive Attack. It has the best solo of the 00s though, classic rock, it's going to be.

Sorry, I don't know if there's any of this I agree. Better being Freebirdish? Catcher In The Rye being Hey Jude? Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on having completely different views on this stuff.

Better is very SCOM in the melody, which has that southern rock sway. Then it drops into a NIN chorus a la Head Like a Hole. But the whole thing seems like another Hand that Feeds with a metal core breakdown. Listen how the intro solo continues over the drums, cord and vocals on both SCOM and Better. It's almost a cover version.

Catcher kind of goes from Elton John-ish to a Hey Jude delirious ending with the Na na nas.

Edited by wasted

There is no "rock" on CD..just computer generated bullshit LOL

That's just like your opinion man. I happen to like this rock n roll album very much and so do millions of other people.

Why come to a fan forum and say an album is bullshit?

I'm a huge Doors fan and The Soft Parade is my least favorite album. Some Doors fans love it. Would it be right for me to insult them and say the album and their tastes are shit?

That's just like your opinion man. I happen to like this rock n roll album very much and so do millions of other people.

I'm a huge Doors fan and The Soft Parade is my least favorite album. Some Doors fans love it. Would it be right for me to insult them and say the album and their tastes are shit?

Well Volcano I was dissapointed with CD and I'm not alone with my opinions..I come here cause I like GnR in general and I hope the next album (if it ever comes out) will be more darker and hardrock...For example when I first listened to Riad it made me want to vomit LOL....Better is ok song..closest thing for a rock song..chinese intro is too fucking long to listen :lol: Do u like every GnR album? Let's just say in summary that my brain did not register the CD sounds =) In my personal opinion Axl tried to be too experimental with the album (too much going on at the same time)..I like Bumblefoot ideas for the next GnR song (Argentinian Tango)..Especially the heavy guitar parts of that "song"..Oh yes and Shackler's revenge is really good too =) So I like 2 songs of CD..It's NOT that I only like old GnR stuff so I don't like anything new from the current GnR..Bumblefoot gave me climpses of hope that they can do songs I like =)

Edited by gunnari
  • Like 1

Classic rock is rock that becomes classic though i guess. Its just a way to phrase it, theres still 70s influences on almost every track.

But shouldnt CD be filed under Alternative on amazon?

I think before you listen to CD people should be asked if they like Nirvana, Korn, NIN, Zombie, Faith no more, RATM. If you dont its going to be tough. Its so uncompromising in that way.

Classic rock is rock that becomes classic though i guess. Its just a way to phrase it, theres still 70s influences on almost every track.

But shouldnt CD be filed under Alternative on amazon?

I think before you listen to CD people should be asked if they like Nirvana, Korn, NIN, Zombie, Faith no more, RATM. If you dont its going to be tough. Its so uncompromising in that way.

I love Korn, NIN, Zombie, RATM, Ministery, Tool etc.

I don't like CD, but yes, I think it better could be filed under Alternative?

I hate to say it, but to me chidem (the song) sounds like a garage band trying to rip off jungle.

The long, stuttering start. The scream. The powerchord riff. It's all there. I thought it was a sad, cynical attempt by Axl to recreate the glory of the original. And it completely fails.

• Like 1

But you do that about Slash and his music (and his GnR days) almost on a daily basis. Why do you dictate to people what/how they can post, when you do the exact opposite thing that you are telling them to do? Why the double-standard? Isn't it a bit hypocritical of you?

CD is an amazing album

But classic rock is one thing it isn't

• Like 2