Nosaj Thing

Mickey Rourke was robbed by Sean Penn.

The Wrestler performance > Milk performance

Not in the least.

Yes, totally agree!

But it's all politics in the academy awards :(

Al Pacino finally winning best actor for...Scent of a Woman. Forrest Gump, Crash, The King's Speech, Braveheart, The English Patient, Titanic, Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, The Departed, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Lord of the Whichever Installment Won, etc. Gwyneth, Halle, it's fucking endless.

What movie did you think should of won instead of American Beauty?

1999 was the strongest year of that decade for film, there were numerous films more deserving - Three Kings, The Insider, Magnolia, All About My Mother, Election, Fight Club, Being John Malkovich, Boys Don't Cry etc. American Beauty is a fine film, but a hugely flawed and overrated one.

@Angelica, I can see why people would think it's overrated, but in my opinion the only movie that would even come close to winning best picture was Boys Don't Cry... and maybe, just maybe , All about your mother

But those other movies are kinda meh (but to be fair I haven't seen Being John Malcovich) . Especially Fight Club, I think that is waaaaay overrated.

But that's just my opinion :P

Guest Len B'stard

John Wayne.

Yeah, seriously I think the academy gave him this Oscar because he was dying of cancer.

He weren't dyin of cancer when True Grit came out. He deserved more. Red River, The Shootist, Rio Bravo, The Searchers. Oscars are a load of fuckin' bollocks anyway. Hey, lets all congratulate ourselves for being…ourselves.

Edited by sugaraylen

Not in the least.

They gave Penn the award for Milk because they want the institution to be percieved as progressive.

• Like 1

Not in the least.

They gave Penn the award for Milk because they want the institution to be percieved as progressive.

Sean Penn won because he portrayed a gay man and the Academy was trying to make up for not honoring Brokeback Mountain a few years earlier.

Not in the least.

Sean Penn won because he portrayed a gay man and the Academy was trying to make up for not honoring Brokeback Mountain a few years earlier.

That was my point.

Not in the least.

It's a fucking stunning performance, I don't give a shit why they gave it to him, it was deserved. :lol:

The Kings Speech shouldn't have won.

The Social Network got snubbed.

The Social Network was shit.

Not in the least.

It's a fucking stunning performance, I don't give a shit why they gave it to him, it was deserved. :lol:

Mickey Rourke played himself. Sean Penn actually had to put some work into it.

Not in the least.

I agree. I loved both movies but Penn's performance in Milk was fantastic.

Speaking of Penn, have you seen This Must Be The Place, Angelica?

Not in the least.

Yeah, not entirely sold on the film as a whole, but his performance is magic.

Not in the least.

Yeah, not entirely sold on the film as a whole, but his performance is magic.

I agree. I liked the movie, but something about it is kind of "Wait a minute..", but he was great in it.

:lol:

:lol:

Laugh all you want. The film was crap.

Critics and the box office disagree with you, brah.

Can you explain to me why the film was crap?

Edited by LiveFromNormal

Critics and the box office disagree with you, brah.

Can you explain to me why the film was crap?

What's this? A hipster using critical consensus and commercial success as an indication of quality? :o I'm disappointed in you Daniel!!!! :lol:

Mickey Rourke didn't play himself, he performed a character which mirrored his own personal storyline. That's what it made it so powerful.

I like Sean Penn, Mickey Rourke would never be able to do something like I Am Sam. That said, the only reason they gave Penn the Oscar is because he portrayed a theme which might shed the Academy's conservative image.

Mickey Rourke was openly disillusioned by the industry for over a decade. The same industry was more than prepared to support that self-imposed period of exile. Why? Because they can't hack anybody criticizing the industry's questionable creativity/integrity. They were never going to reward somebody that defied Hollywood by getting back into the game through the immense public affection he garners.

Edited by NGOG

Guest Len B'stard

Mickey Rourke didn't play himself, he performed a character which mirrored his own personal storyline. That's what it made it so powerful.

I like Sean Penn, Mickey Rourke would never be able to do something like I Am Sam. That said, the only reason they gave Penn the Oscar is because he portrayed a theme which might shed the Academy's conservative image.

Mickey Rourke was openly disillusioned by the industry for over a decade. The same industry was more than prepared to support that self-imposed period of exile. Why? Because they can't hack anybody criticizing the industry's questionable creativity/integrity. They were never going to reward somebody that defied Hollywood by getting back into the game through the immense public affection he garners.

He tried his hand at boxing during that time :)