Do you like Axl's Elmer Fudd at start of Don't Damn Me?

niceguy

I always loved this song: the guitar riffs are excellent, the tones are amazing, and Axl's lyrics are awesome. Great anger song.

But why the Elmer Fudd impression at the opening of the song? Am I missing something? Is it, like, something you need to be really intelligent to understand? Or is it absolute stupidity which cannot be explained?

Do you like the Fudd effects?

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol: This post is too funny!

At no point have I ever thought that was an Elmer Fudd. It doesn't seem like anyone thinks it is.

Lmao whatever you're on bro I want double!!

I always liked the riff from Don't Damn Me but hated the lyrics. I thought that song could have been a hit but the lyrics always seemed self-important and juvenile to me even as a kid hearing it for the first time.

Self important? Don't Damn Me is one of THE best songs at summarizing the concept of people having "illusions" that help them get by from day to day and the need to get rid of those illusions.

The lyrics all throughout the Illusion albums speak of the need to do away with your illusions in life and see things for what they really are.

I always thought it was a response to the outcry created from OIAM. The lyrics seem to be Axl talking to people who trashed him and the band for One In A Million

Dudes, it's CLEARLY an Elmer Fudd impression. Jesus christ. It's at 9 seconds into the song.

And Axl recently did an Elmer Fudd impression on stage, where he went "I'm hunting wabbits".

So, do you like it? I mean, with people here saying that TWAT is the greatest GNR song of all time, I suppose anything goes.

approx 26 seconds in

The Cheetos commercials were HUGE back then (90-91) and people were imitating the sound. Axl jumped on the bandwagon and put it in a song.

• Like 1

I always liked the riff from Don't Damn Me but hated the lyrics. I thought that song could have been a hit but the lyrics always seemed self-important and juvenile to me even as a kid hearing it for the first time.

That's always been my opinion on the song. It's always singled out as one of the highlights of the Use Your Illusion records, but the lyrics are much more self-indulgent than anything on Chinese Democracy.

I've never understood this self-important thing. Not when people talk about CD and not on this case either. Just because he says I or me, doesn't mean that he's self-indulgent. I'm pretty sure he means "don't damn anyone when they speak their piece of mind", but that would sound too preachy. "Don't damn me" sounds much better. Dunno why some people have a problem with that.

Edited by Lies They Tell
  • Like 1

That's always been my opinion on the song. It's always singled out as one of the highlights of the Use Your Illusion records, but the lyrics are much more self-indulgent than anything on Chinese Democracy.

I've never understood this self-important thing. Not when people talk about CD and not on this case either. Just because he says I or me, doesn't mean that he's self-indulgent. I'm pretty sure he means "don't damn anyone when they speak their piece of mind", but that would sound too preachy. "Don't damn me" sounds much better. Dunno why some people have a problem with that.

Exactly. And the idea might have came out of some sort of personal feeling towards backlash but overall the song has a much broader message.

It's like when you hear the story about "Right Next Door To Hell." It was about a neighbor of Axl's who was always complaining and was (according to him) pretty much insane. The idea for the song stemmed from that, but the overall meaning of it is so much more.

It has nothing to do with using the first person. It's the "woe is me, I'm so put upon" stance of the lyrics.

It has nothing to do with using the first person. It's the "woe is me, I'm so put upon" stance of the lyrics.

Your perception of that stance only comes from the use of first person in the song.

It is one of the most meaningful songs Guns ever put out.

He even makes concessions in the song to point out that it's not really "all about" him.

he did an impression of the count from Sesame Street on CD

I don't vant to do eet.

Dudes, it's CLEARLY an Elmer Fudd impression. Jesus christ. It's at 9 seconds into the song.

And Axl recently did an Elmer Fudd impression on stage, where he went "I'm hunting wabbits".

So, do you like it? I mean, with people here saying that TWAT is the greatest GNR song of all time, I suppose anything goes.

approx 26 seconds in

The Cheetos commercials were HUGE back then (90-91) and people were imitating the sound. Axl jumped on the bandwagon and put it in a song.

seriously though, that sound effect has been a GENERIC sound effect in cartoons dating back to the early days. i doubt he was specifically referencing cheetos and/or elmer fudd with it, i always just interpreted it as him fucking around vocally - and he did a lot of weird vocal things on use your illusion.

Here's the UYI outtake

the Elmer Fudd thing is missing, lol, also the ending is different

approx 26 seconds in

hoooly fucking shit, this was totally new to me, cuz i'm only 2 years old at that time

This intro eyaeyaeya is a mistery to me for almost a decae and now it's solved

really man, i just wanna buy you a beer now

I thought it was Chester Cheetah.

That's exactly what I've thought it sounded like all these years but I highly doubt that's what he was going for. Who knows though. Doesn't add or detract from the song in my opinion. More of a who cares kinda thing.

Holy fuck dude chill out. To some, myself included it's a Chester Cheetah sound. I've never once in the 22 years of liking that song even remotely thought Elmer Fudd.

Here's the UYI outtake

the Elmer Fudd thing is missing, lol, also the ending is different

approx 26 seconds in

hoooly fucking shit, this was totally new to me, cuz i'm only 2 years old at that time

This intro eyaeyaeya is a mistery to me for almost a decae and now it's solved

really man, i just wanna buy you a beer now

I want Doritos instead

Maybe it's some kind of vocal exercise?

Good call.

Whatever it is, I like it.

He's done it live before, randomly.

I always assumed it was some type of vocal warm up and he put it before Don't Damn Me on a whim.

I think I've heard other singers do something similar but it's just a vague thought.

I hate it when no one notices me :( Boo hoo

Good call.

I always assumed it was some type of vocal warm up and he put it before Don't Damn Me on a whim.

I think I've heard other singers do something similar but it's just a vague thought.

It's ok. This thread was clearly a joke.

Good call.

:(

I'm sorry. :kiss: