Bob Marley vs. Led Zeppelin

John Bonham

Bob Marley or Led Zeppelin  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love Led Zeppelin but they did not invent rock they just refined it IMHO..............

Umm?? No one said they invented rock, that would be rediculous.

Chuck Berry, Little Rchard, and Bill Haley and the comets invented rock imo. Despite what some Elvis fans think, he didn't invent it either.

Guest Len B'stard

The things that bother me about Zep, broadly here (and pretty tangentially in terms of the topic which we've kinda put to sleep a bit anyway) is their more folksy type stuff, never got with that, the look i never fuckin' got with but their groove is fuckin' sick and if the focus of their music was more rooted in that direction i think i could've really loved it. I actually like their first album more than a lot of what followed, which I rarely see many Zep fans say, that their first album is hot, which i think it is. At their best though, with like Heartbreaker and Black Dog and Rock n Roll and Dazed and Confused it's some seriously fuckin' uplifting, elevating shit. Another problem of mine with Zep is the fact that they sound kinda cluttered sometimes. It's not like they didn't have an understanding of like...space musically cuz they really did and when they slow it down you can see how what sometimes sounds kinda loosey goosey is pretty fuckin' on point and focused and precise...but then at other times they sound kinda rattlley and cluttered. As a musical unit they were really good i just don't really care much for the directions they went in...and a band with their chops could've done so much really but thats a ridiculous thing for me to say 'If only they'd've done what Len wanted, they'd've been alright' :lol: Uh, I'm sure they'll manage with what they did Len, don't trouble yourself dickhead :lol:

I'd love to see them just do straight RnB, i feel like they could tear the fuckin' roof off places like that.

Edited by sugaraylen

I love Led Zeppelin but they did not invent rock they just refined it IMHO..............

Umm?? No one said they invented rock, that would be rediculous.

What they did do, they had a huge hand in dictating where rock went, once they entered the picture. They were right there at the big bang of HardRock/Metal.

The things that bother me about Zep, broadly here (and pretty tangentially in terms of the topic which we've kinda put to sleep a bit anyway) is their more folksy type stuff, never got with that, the look i never fuckin' got with but their groove is fuckin' sick and if the focus of their music was more rooted in that direction i think i could've really loved it. I actually like their first album more than a lot of what followed, which I rarely see many Zep fans say, that their first album is hot, which i think it is. At their best though, with like Heartbreaker and Black Dog and Rock n Roll and Dazed and Confused it's some seriously fuckin' uplifting, elevating shit. Another problem of mine with Zep is the fact that they sound kinda cluttered sometimes. It's not like they didn't have an understanding of like...space musically cuz they really did and when they slow it down you can see how what sometimes sounds kinda loosey goosey is pretty fuckin' on point and focused and precise...but then at other times they sound kinda rattlley and cluttered. As a musical unit they were really good i just don't really care much for the directions they went in...and a band with their chops could've done so much really but thats a ridiculous thing for me to say 'If only they'd've done what Len wanted, they'd've been alright' :lol: Uh, I'm sure they'll manage with what they did Len, don't trouble yourself dickhead :lol:

I'd love to see them just do straight RnB, i feel like they could tear the fuckin' roof off places like that.

I hear ya man, had Bonham not died they probably would have explored RnB and other areas more, but I digress....

I also really like the first album, it has a rawness that has only been felt a couple of times since (sex pistols and gnr). It is my 3rd favorite by them (physical graffiti and Houses of the Holy being 1 and 2). But the funny thing is, the general public gravitated towards 2 and 4. Which I give them their proper due historically, but they are of my lesser favs. But I've always been an odd ball zeppelin fan. I love in through the out door and think presence is just so so. While most say the opposite.

As for the acoustic side of Zeppelin, I understand why some dislike it. But I feel some of those songs showcase their musical talent better than say Heartbreaker or Whole Lotta Love. Another thing about most of those songs, Jimmy used a lot of different tunings for them. Which at that time, was quite different and unique. If you really get into those acoustic songs, you will find out that they are quite musically challenging as well. By comparision the acoustic stuff gnr did is addition and subtraction, while zeps is trigonometry. Not all of them are super hard or challenging, but many are. I've never heard anyone play Bron yur ar stomp correctly, while pretty much anyone can play patience.

But difficult doesn't mean better, sometimes simple is the best.

Bob Marley. Zeppelin is overrated

My fave Zeppelin song, D'yer Mak'er, is their reggaeish song. I love reggae music. Plus, No Woman No Cry, the live version from Live! and from Legend, with the gospel organ intro, is one of the greatest songs ever. Its sex for my ears.

• 4 months later...