Bob Marley vs. Led Zeppelin

John Bonham

Bob Marley or Led Zeppelin  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For my generation, Bob Marley and Led Zeppelin are definitely the lowest common denominator.

I don't know any one my age who doesn't appreciate both of these musical brands.

Which one do YOU prefer?

Edit: I'm undecided. Which is why I actually came here to make a poll (true story).

Edited by John Bonham

Hmmm. Hard to choose. On one hand, I love Bob Marley's message and music and just the history of it. It doesn't get much better then that.

Led Zeppelin is not one of my favorite bands, but Page is such a great guitar player. I love his approach. I never connected to the lyrics (mostly larping bullshit) but some of the songs are epic or just rock hard as fuck.

A cunt of a thread, but I think I'll go with Marley. It's really close though.

Edited by Rovim

Guest Len B'stard

Bob Marley all day long, more original, more productive creatively, more influential, just flat out better tunes, more pathos, had a helluva lot more to say and was a lot more direct and clear whilst maintaining it's poetic qualities while doing it, absolutely no comparison.

HOWEVER…as reggae music goes he's almost reggae-lite at this point, awful though that seems to sound. There's the blanket thing that people have of owning the Legends CD and then there's REALLY knowing Marley and what he was about and what the music was about and furthermore, where that music stands in relation to Bob Marleys religion. In fact, i'd go so far as to say that without gaining some sort of understanding of the religion it's not really possible to get a firm handle on what its all about. It is, at the heart of it, religious music, propaganda almost, for the Rastafarian way of life, like gospel to their shit.

I prefer Peter Tosh out of the two, simply cuz he was more militant but Bob was pretty seriously militant too, his image has been produced and produced reproduced and decontextualised to the point where people have contrived to separate his image from the reality of what he was about which is sad but then the truth is out there for anyone willing to perhaps check out a few albums and nosey about it for it.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

Can anyone really name more than like, 5 Bob Marley songs? Even if I'm not the biggest Zeppelin fan, they have about as many memorable full albums as Marley has memorable songs.

Simmer Down

Mellow Mood

Soul Rebel

Catch a Fire

One Love

Try Me

No Sympathy

Cornerstone

400 Years

Duppy Conquerer

Fussin' & FIghting

Riding High

Kaya

Sun is Shining

African Herbsman

Don't Rock My Boat

Slave Driver

Concrete Junge

Put it On

Burnin' & Lootin'

Small Axe

Rastaman Chant

Lively Up Yourself

Bend Down Low

Natty Dread

Roots Rock Reggae

Cry to Me

Crazy Baldhead

Johnny Was

Natural Mystic

Turn Your Light Down Low

Punky Reggae Party

Easy Skanking

Satisfy My Soul

Zimbabwae

Zion Train

Chant Down Babylon

Trenchtown Rock

And these are all well known tracks, some of them downright anthems, all from his studio output, with a conscious effort made to avoid his 'Greatest Hits' to the best of my memory :)

No need to discount the Greatest Hits Sugaray. Stir it Up, No Woman No Cry, Buffalo Soldier, Could You Be Loved, Get Up Stand Up, Redemption Song, I Shot the Sheriff, Jamming, everyone knows these songs.

He is the same guy who told me on the other thread that I'm not qualified to discuss John Lydon vs. Axl because

I don't know PIL despite I mentioned I had one album. And in that same thread Sugaraylen admits to

not owning even one Led Zeppelin album! By his own circular logic, he shouldn't be in this thread.

This sums it up:

For the melodies alone, it's gonna be Led Zeppelin but Marley deserves all the love he shared!!

*music snobs ignoring the greatest hits is always amusing!

Guest Len B'stard

He is the same guy who told me on the other thread that I'm not qualified to discuss John Lydon vs. Axl because

I don't know PIL despite I mentioned I had one album. And in that same thread Sugaraylen admits to

not owning even one Led Zeppelin album!

I said heard not owned, there's a difference. And I've heard every Led Zeppelin album. And Bob Marley. Furthermore, the difference in this thread is nobody has lied about the albums they've heard, they've been forthright and honest about it and have not attempted to engage in in-depth discussion about them, they've merely stated opinions based on what they are aware of, therein lies the difference. As far as owning goes i didn't say i didn't own any Led Zeppelin albums, i said i didn't own any albums at all, a broader distinction was made there than what you are attempting to reflect here.

Tell me Rita, how many Bob Marley albums have you heard? :) I mean since you're questioning whether i'm qualified to discuss them.

*music snobs ignoring the greatest hits is always amusing!

I wasn't ignoring the greatest hits Rita, i was replying to a post by Bacardi that appeared to be suggesting, as is often suggested about Marleys work in some quarters, that the only substance in his discography is in his greatest hits i.e. his statement that 'can anybody name more than 5 or 6 songs'.
Don't try and be cleverer than you are Rita, you'll hurt yourself :lol:
Edited by sugaraylen

@Sugaraylen- Play fair. No one lied here about the albums they owned.

I admitted to owning one PIL album

You admitted to not owning one Pink Floyd, Rush, Allman Brothers, Black Sabbath,

and Led Zeppelin album. Should I post that hateful rant you wrote against Plant and LedZep?

"Don't try and be cleverer than you are Rita, you'll hurt yourself"

Who talks like this?

Only the extremely insecure and immature.

The one who picks fights and doesn't realize his credibility is shaky when he spends hours on

a forum daily and claims not to even follow Axl Rose.

"A witty man lives by his wits alone"

Edited by ohlovelyrita

My username is derived from Pink Floyd and even I'll admit they're overrated.

I know I'm in the minority but I just never understood their appeal. I've tried, mind you. Many times. Listened to every album multiple times. I just don't get it. Same with U2.

Nah, i just meant cuz Cardi's point appeared to be pointing at the fact that his discography lacks depth.

Not to mention, the way most rock fans view The Beatles, The Stones, Elvis, Jimi etc., there's a huge amount of people that view Marley in that same light.

Some people buy into hype and inflated egos (see Kanye West).

Although I do think Pink Floyd have a few good tunes. I do like the Wish You Were Here album.

If I had to pick 1 Floyd album to listen to, it would also be Wish You Were Here.

I can somewhat tolerate Animals as well but that's about it

Guest Len B'stard

You admitted to not owning one Pink Floyd, Rush, Allman Brothers, Black Sabbath,

and Led Zeppelin album. Should I post that hateful rant you wrote against Plant and LedZep?

You can try and rephrase this and re-jig this and twist it this way and that way and turn it on its head and desperately try and skew the point but it's a very simple one, you claimed to have heard albums and were engaged in an in-depth discussion regarding an artist whose work you hadn't really heard, I'm not interested in what you do or do not own. And I didn't admit to not owning those, the word admit suggests that there was a prior denial after which i admitted, which i didn't, i stated that i didn't own ANY albums…not just those artists, no albums whatsoever. And it wasn't a hateful rant because there was no mention of hate in it, just ridicule and distaste, hate is a strong word and i and only i am qualified to state when i do or do not hate something, it is not something you can do for me unless i say you can or my hatred is expressed clearly by, our survey says, me.

You ADMITTED to owning one PiL album after previously stating, in defence of your position that you were a fan but were not aware of their work post the 90s, now since 99% of their discography was pre-90s that statement is a clear admission of an awareness of their discography, something you later denied, saying you've only heard the one album…or OWN the one album. An album which, funnily enough, you didn't name either. Hmmm.

Also dear, try and not and follow me around with every post trying to gloss over prior instances of your making yourself look stupid, I'm sure the members of this forum don't want this place to be the fuckin' Len and Rita show.

Who talks like this?

Someone that finds conversing with you to be tedious, laborious and totally fruitless.

The one who picks fights and doesn't realize his credibility is shaky when he spends hours on

Credibility in regard to what you moron? :lol: There are many people that occupy the My World and Anything Goes sections that don't follow Axl Rose, get over it. When you run the forum, then you get to decide who is or isn't allowed here or allowed to have an opinion that you're not comfortable with, until that day, go chew on something ;)

Perhaps he should be given some credit then because the vast majority require food, water and shelter also ;)

Edited by sugaraylen

You can try and rephrase this and re-jig this and twist it this way and that way and turn it on its head and desperately try and skew the point but it's a very simple one, you claimed to have heard albums and were engaged in an in-depth discussion regarding an artist whose work you hadn't really heard, I'm not interested in what you do or do not own. And I didn't admit to not owning those, the word admit suggests that there was a prior denial after which i admitted, which i didn't, i stated that i didn't own ANY albums…not just those artists, no albums whatsoever. And it wasn't a hateful rant because there was no mention of hate in it, just ridicule and distaste, hate is a strong word and i and only i am qualified to state when i do or do not hate something, it is not something you can do for me unless i say you can or my hatred is expressed clearly by, our survey says, me.

You ADMITTED to owning one PiL album after previously stating, in defence of your position that you were a fan but were not aware of their work post the 90s, now since 99% of their discography was pre-90s that statement is a clear admission of an awareness of their discography, something you later denied, saying you've only heard the one album…or OWN the one album. An album which, funnily enough, you didn't name either. Hmmm.

Also dear, try and not and follow me around with every post trying to gloss over prior instances of your making yourself look stupid, I'm sure the members of this forum don't want this place to be the fuckin' Len and Rita show.

Who talks like this?

Someone that finds conversing with you to be tedious, laborious and totally fruitless.

Credibility in regard to what you moron? :lol: There are many people that occupy the My World and Anything Goes sections that don't follow Axl Rose, get over it. When you run the forum, then you get to decide who is or isn't allowed here or allowed to have an opinion that you're not comfortable with, until that day, go chew on something ;)

Perhaps he should be given some credit then because the vast majority require food, water and shelter also ;)

Not reading that. How can one man be so bored to try to dominate a website of a band he belittles?