I'm hypochondriac.

TombRaider

I have a confession to make: I am hypochondriac. And I didn't use to be this way. It's just that I've been going for the past 3 years through a very difficult time in my life, involving deep changes and periods of extreme depression, which have triggered panic attacks and lots of anxiety. And now this hypochondria thing, which is really annoying. Saddest part is I know it's all in my head or I want to think it's all in my head, but I get anxious and feel like running away. I don't know. Sometimes I think I should see a shrink about my anxiety and depression and constant fear. And like I said, I didn't use to be this way. I hate the person I become when I get hypochondriac attacks or anxiety. It driles everyone around me nuts. But I cannot help it.

Ever experienced hypochondria?

I have a confession to make: I am hypochondriac. And I didn't use to be this way. It's just that I've been going for the past 3 years through a very difficult time in my life, involving deep changes and periods of extreme depression, which have triggered panic attacks and lots of anxiety. And now this hypochondria thing, which is really annoying. Saddest part is I know it's all in my head or I want to think it's all in my head, but I get anxious and feel like running away. I don't know. Sometimes I think I should see a shrink about my anxiety and depression and constant fear. And like I said, I didn't use to be this way. I hate the person I become when I get hypochondriac attacks or anxiety. It driles everyone around me nuts. But I cannot help it.

I have hypochondria when it comes to clothing, if that makes you feel any better. I just CAN'T stand it when someone refers to a piece of clothing in the incorrect form. It makes me extremely anxious and I have a need to correct them regardless of whether it makes them likewise feel uncomfortable or anxious. I just feel like things need to be referred to in the correct manner. My health! Meh, whatever.....I'll be fine.

Honestly Tomb Raider, half the people I know suffer from something of this shape or form, or have at some time in the past. You're not alone. It's probably kind of 'normal'. Oooh I hate that word, but it's basically true.

Guest Len B'stard

Red is right y'know, you're not alone...you're surrounded by GERMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF GERMS, GERMS EVERYWHERE, GERMS ON DOOR HANDLES, GERMS ON PLATES, GERMS IN THE AIR, GERMS EVERYWHERE!

Life is a killer Tombie, an on-going reductive process, the forces of degeneration have arrived and none shall be left alive!

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

Just kidding, i think you're a beautiful wonderful amazing child of God and there is absolutely nothing wrong with you except possibly a reticence to grasp the fundamental governing notion that due to the transience of human existence the only real substantial element of importance in all of this is how you choose to live in the moment, any affliction that may or may not befall you is an inevitability of fate, the great affliction (i.e. death) is coming for us all, ergo we should choose to live each moment as if it is the only thing that matters because, ultimately, it is :) Life is a mad frantic dash for joy...during which, your nose might also be running sometimes, it's really not ever such an issue until such time as you allow it to be.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

You foul insensitive northern turd-pudding (ironyyyyyyyy!), don't you ever yearn for something more than your soullessly pragmatic working class functionality, something delicate, something of refinement, something to elevate yourself above the common trivialities that occupy your tawdry desires? :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

I have hypochondria when it comes to clothing, if that makes you feel any better. I just CAN'T stand it when someone refers to a piece of clothing in the incorrect form. It makes me extremely anxious and I have a need to correct them regardless of whether it makes them likewise feel uncomfortable or anxious. I just feel like things need to be referred to in the correct manner. My health! Meh, whatever.....I'll be fine.

That's more OCD than hypochondria...

• Like 1

I have hypochondria when it comes to clothing, if that makes you feel any better. I just CAN'T stand it when someone refers to a piece of clothing in the incorrect form. It makes me extremely anxious and I have a need to correct them regardless of whether it makes them likewise feel uncomfortable or anxious.

That's not really a medical condition, it's just being an outright cunt.

Guest Len B'stard

I have hypochondria when it comes to clothing, if that makes you feel any better. I just CAN'T stand it when someone refers to a piece of clothing in the incorrect form. It makes me extremely anxious and I have a need to correct them regardless of whether it makes them likewise feel uncomfortable or anxious.

To be fair, everybodys like that with their particular racket, aren't they? I mean if i was pontificating about Judo and gobbing off incorrectly about some aspect of it completely incorrectly, wouldn't you go 'well Len, actually...'

Ryan-Gosling-clap-clap-clap-eccbc87e4b5c

To be fair, everybodys like that with their particular racket, aren't they? I mean if i was pontificating about Judo and gobbing off incorrectly about some aspect of it completely incorrectly, wouldn't you go 'well Len, actually...'

Judo isn't a mainstream thing. It's not something that affects people every day.

If somebody were to talk about it in my presence, I wouldn't become 'extremely anxious' and disregard that person's feelings by deconstructing every point. Everybody is entitled to say something they were led to believe is correct, I likely wouldn't even mention my judo past. My point is that there's no need to actively seek arguement.

Honestly Tomb Raider, half the people I know suffer from something of this shape or form, or have at some time in the past. You're not alone. It's probably kind of 'normal'. Oooh I hate that word, but it's basically true.

This is NOT hypochondria! Hypochondriacs worry about their health constantly and think something is wrong with their bodies -- what you are describing is OCD.

Yep. I have hypochondria.

It sucks because I can be fully aware of how ridiculous I'm being while staying up all night Googling vague symptoms I think I might have.

Luckily it only manifests during really anxious periods of my life. It's not necessarily a constant thing.

This year was particularly bad. I visited the ER five times in a three week period. When the bills came in I finally broke down and got on medication.

Edited by LiveFromNormal

Isn't hypochondria the fear of having an illness that you don't actually have, or convincing yourself you have symptoms of an illness when there's medically nothing wrong? (I probably should have just googled it and copy/paste the definition, but it's close enough). Anxiety and panic attacks aren't really the same thing. Obviously something is triggering them, and you need to find out what that is, and how you can better control them. Medication may be necessary. They can be very debilitating, going to a therapist is a great idea. Nothing to feel ashamed of.

There's a need in our society to slap a label on everything for some reason. A kid has a problem making friends in school, he's autistic. Someone has a short attention span, they have ADD. Someone else acts like a condescending know it all bitch, and they have OCD.

I'm not saying all diagnosis for many symptoms aren't indeed legitimate, most absolutely are. But there are others that seem to be merely an excuse for bad behavior. It's insulting to the people who have actual problems. To be able to point to something and say "It's not my fault, I act like this because I have (insert disorder here)" can come off like such a weak cop out, when in reality what is happening is an inability to deal with your own human flaws, and the laziness of not trying to change them.

There's a need in our society to slap a label on everything for some reason. A kid has a problem making friends in school, he's autistic. Someone has a short attention span, they have ADD. Someone else acts like a condescending know it all bitch, and they have OCD.

I'm not saying all diagnosis for many symptoms aren't indeed legitimate, most absolutely are. But there are others that seem to be merely an excuse for bad behavior. It's insulting to the people who have actual problems. To be able to point to something and say "It's not my fault, I act like this because I have (insert disorder here)" can come off like such a weak cop out, when in reality what is happening is an inability to deal with your own human flaws, and the laziness of not trying to change them.

Completely. I could be considered OCD because of certain quirks I have, but I don't sit around with woe is me tattooed on my forehead and expect sympathy. I call myself twitchy, crack a beer and deal with them.

I think slapping a label on everyone comes from not being able to literally slap anyone anymore. Some people just need to get smacked occasionally.

OCD is a very really disorder.

But what people forget is that in order to have a mental disorder it must be detracting from you living a normal life.

If you are late to work everyday and get fired because you fiddle with your locks for 45 minutes, you may have OCD.

If you lose relationships with friends and family because of compulsions you act out, you might have OCD.

If you are unable to leave your house because of rituals based on compulsions you might have OCD.

But if you click the lock button on your car an extra three times in the parking lot at night, you're probably just easing your mind and making sure you door is locked.

Irrational behavior doesn't necessarily indicate a mental disorder. And a lot of irrational behavior, if you think about it, is actually kinda rational.

• Like 1